Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 13th: Report - Dickey extended, trade just pending physicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
I'll bet you can't support that argument with statistical evidence.

It has been proven time and time again that Arencibia has been below-average both offensively, and defensively.

Instead of proving that he's below-average once again, I'd like to see you try to prove that he's above-average (or even average) using meaningful statistics.

I absolutely guarantee you can't.

Offensively just based on his power sure. Add in his sub par D and no he isnt even a top 20 catcher.

We've done this already countless times and its been proven that he's one of the worst in the league in every statistic besides power numbers.

He's not, and all the numbers are available on baseball reference for you to see. Im not about to start getting into a debate about saver metrics which is all this board likes to use as definitive proof of something

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Problem with Cooper is his lack of power. He can hit for avg, but ideally, you want your DH/1B to have power.
If he gets on base at a decent clip i'd rather him over Lind. We have the power in other areas to make up for the lack of power by Cooper.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I think you need to take a look around the league and see how bad catchers are on average. Arencibia is easily a top 20 catcher in the league and that's selling him short

So we're going to argue that he's at the midpoint of quality in a 30 team league by saying he's a top 20 catcher?

That...doesn't make sense.

Scion

May 25, 2012
If he doesn't rebound, he'll go to the pen in favour of Happ.

The Jays will give Romero significant rope. I'd be surprised if we see him switch to the pen this season, even if he is terrible again.

RaySheppard

Oct 9, 2010
I am so glad I ordered my 10 game flex pack last week. I forsee sellouts in September for the first time in 20 years.I am pumped.

Will Happ go to the pen or demand a trade?

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
The Jays will give Romero significant rope. I'd be surprised if we see him switch to the pen this season, even if he is terrible again.

someone told me his gf broke up with him and thats the reason for his slide, i honestly dont see that happening again, especially being #4-5 on the depth chart should relax him a bit.

91Kadri91*

He's not, and all the numbers are available on baseball reference for you to see. Im not about to start getting into a debate about saver metrics which is all this board likes to use as definitive proof of something

So, in other words, you can't prove that Arencibia is, at the very least, an average catcher?

Don't worry, no one expected you to. After all, it's impossible to prove something that's impossible to prove.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
This team needs Brian Wilson, and Santos can be put in the pen, what to do about Casey..

edit: Throw Janssen in the pen too

Santos is already in the pen. Brian Wilson is finished, I think. I don't think we need to sign anyone for our pen unless Oliver doesn't return for another season.

Dalebar and Lincoln were very good additions and with Aaron Loup and J.A Happ already in the mix as well, I think our pen is fine.

Apr 1, 2010

Don't forget WAR. That is my favorite.

Scion

May 25, 2012
someone told me his gf broke up with him and thats the reason for his slide, i honestly dont see that happening again, especially being #4-5 on the depth chart should relax him a bit.

I agree.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I am so glad I ordered my 10 game flex pack last week. I forsee sellouts in September for the first time in 20 years.I am pumped.

pen

i dont see to many people demanding a trade out of Toronto any time soon.

gordonshumway

Sep 18, 2010
Not liking this trade one bit - according to one article, Jays are giving up their #1 and #3 prospects for this guy... can't help but wonder, for this sort of a price, couldn't Alex go and try bring Halladay back? He's 3 years younger and would give it all, we all know it.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Sabermetrics.;)

Even standard stats prove JPA as a below average catcher. Again, he has his power number, but other than that all his standard and advanced stats are way below average ( I refuse to use RBIs in this argument as they are heavily team-based).

Apr 1, 2010
Santos is already in the pen. Brian Wilson is finished, I think. I don't think we need to sign anyone for our pen unless Oliver doesn't return for another season.

Dalebar and Lincoln were very good additions and with Aaron Loup and J.A Happ already in the mix as well, I think our pen is fine.

And if our two young Tommy John'ers come back healthy they might be amazing coming out of the pen in Sept. and Oct.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan

My moms getting me a 10 game flex pack for Christmas. I picked out some great games. I'm so excited.:D

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think Thole is more similar to that of Jeff Mathis. Hopefully his swing can be fixed too and he finds some sweet sweet hidden power.

But at least Thole doesn't strikeout as much and walks at a fairly average/above average clip.

edit: okay I guess you were looking more at physical looks lol.
Haha yeah I meant physical .. When you make the picture bigger, it's not that similar but on my phone when the picture was small - it looked very similar.

i

Thole is a much better hitter than Mathis. His career OBP is 75 points higher than Mathis. Thole's numbers versus lefties are similar to Mathis' career numbers but hopefully we can mostly get Thole in the lineup versus RHs.

Apr 1, 2010
Hopefully he recovers better than David Duval did. Or didn't.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan

Definately not finished. Teams'll be bidding against each other for his services. If he can come back healthy he's a great pen arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad