Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 13th: Report - Dickey extended, trade just pending physicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
This is the first move AA has made that I really didn't like...wasn't hot on Gibbons coming back either but I trust AA on that one. This just feels like an awful overpayment; I don't mind the idea of moving prospects to get tier-1 talent for a run right now, but I think we could be getting more bang for our buck with two incredible prospects than a 38 year old whose success last season could very well have been a flash in the pan. Honestly, anything short of a Pennant while Dickey is here and this deal will feel awful for us, and it won't actually feel good unless we win the World Series. The Cabrera signing and Marlins trades were both absolutely fantastic, so I'm still happy with this offseason overall, but boy are we giving up a lot for one guy here...

He's been great for 3 years now, with obviously last year being incredible. His ERA the past three years has been 2.84, 3.28, 2.74. He has logged over 200 innings the past two years, would have the first year but he didn't start the year in the rotation. He doesn't walk guys, which is part of what makes him incredible. He's a knuckleballer who can control his stuff. He's a very bright guy, and it shows with how he approaches the game, that's why I'm confident he'll give you a bunch of years still. He's perfected the knuckleball, and it showed last year.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
i didn't want the trade but if it does happen i hope we can go deep, haven't seen a good jays team in so long.

i really hope oliver comes back else we will really need to find a LHP reliever to replace him.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I know Gose isnt technically still a prospect, but hes going to start in triple A and spend most of the year there so why not.

1.) Aaron Sanchez
2.) Anthony Gose
3.) Roberto Osuna
4.) Daniel Norris
5.) DJ Davis
6.) Marcus Stroman
7.) Matt Smoral
8.) Sean Nolin
9.) Alberto Tirado
10.) Franklin Beratto

Sure we put a MASSIVE dent into the farm but I'd say theres still a good amount of talent and we have a quality pick in this years draft.

Luca19

HFBoards Partner
Jul 29, 2010
Toronto, Ont
www.leafswire.com
You can't fault the Jays for going totally all. It's what the fans and city have wanted for the past 20 years .. a competitive baseball team, and that's what he's giving us theoretically on paper. You can only be content in that regard - regardless of what you're giving up - and hope for the best. Take solace in the fact they're not being half-assed about it.

All the chips are in the middle of the table, I'm ready to play cards.

Kessley Snipes*

i didn't want the trade but if it does happen i hope we can go deep, haven't seen a good jays team in so long.

i really hope oliver comes back else we will really need to find a LHP reliever to replace him.

Ricky+Romero+Toronto+Blue+Jays+Photo+Day+dQa7_l_TK61l.jpg

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

We already have replacements for Oliver.

Cecil and Loup are both more than capable.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
c'mon guys. wasn't kidding about threadbans if things start to slide again. Critique the post, not the poster. Leave personal issues or attacks on other users out of it. I don't like threadbanning people, but it beats spending all my time putting out fires.

I know you cant let it happen as a mod and it is a ton of extra work for you but personally I don't care if some one wants to attack me personally instead of my argument.

It makes them look much worse than the person they are attacking and doesn't bolster their argument for the topic at hand.

GoSensGo6172

BELIEVE!
Jan 2, 2008
Ottawa
Ummmm, exactly why can't Edwin play 1B and have someone else DH? Wouldn't that perfectly solve the 1B issue?

And.....I know people hate to hear it but there's always the off chance that Lind bounces back.

Oh AND we still have Cooper.

I am fine with those options. Can't be perfect everywhere...

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
c'mon guys. wasn't kidding about threadbans if things start to slide again. Critique the post, not the poster. Leave personal issues or attacks on other users out of it. I don't like threadbanning people, but it beats spending all my time putting out fires.
Please start. These threads are becoming annoying. I wouldn't mind some being thread banned lol.

You must be beyond annoyed with the amount of crap you have to delete.

Phaneuf is Phaneuf

Mar 11, 2010
He's been great for 3 years now, with obviously last year being incredible. His ERA the past three years has been 2.84, 3.28, 2.74. He has logged over 200 innings the past two years, would have the first year but he didn't start the year in the rotation. He doesn't walk guys, which is part of what makes him incredible. He's a knuckleballer who can control his stuff. He's a very bright guy, and it shows with how he approaches the game, that's why I'm confident he'll give you a bunch of years still. He's perfected the knuckleball, and it showed last year.

Oh, we definitely acquired a good pitcher, no question of that, my worry is only whether we've acquired a great pitcher, which is absolutely the only way he would be worth d'Arnaud + Syndergaard. There are plenty of pitchers out there who are consistently good but only have one truly fantastic season, I just hope that doesn't happen with Dickey. I will admit, I'm excited to see him pitch on a regular basis, control from a knuckleballer should be fun to watch.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The smartest part about this trade (if it goes through) is that we are acquiring Josh Thole.

Arencibia can barely catch a regular pitcher, which is to say he cannot catch a knuckleballer. Adding the guy that can catch Dickey and has proven success with him makes a ton of sense.
The weird thing is that Thole looks eerily similar to Arencibia. Too bad we didn't still have Gomes. Could have been the first team in the Majors to play triplets! Hahaha.

Honestly, Thole has decent numbers. Last season wasn't good, but his OBP was very solid before that. Even with his poor season, his career OBP is .331% which is very solid for a backup. He's also a great option to throw in versus RH pitching. He's a career .275 hitter vs RH with an OBP% of .345%. Solid.

GoHardSports

TorontoMarleauLeafs
Feb 22, 2010
Vaughan
Not true.
He is below average defensively tho he has improved. His trowing arm isnt average.
He strikes out a ton, and cant get on base.

His only good tool is his power and that isnt enough to make up for the rest of his faults.
But, but, but Buck Martinez said that it is.:sarcasm:

Also we now know we'll have at least 2 lefties in the pen with Happ (swingman) and one of Cecil/Loup/Oliver.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Taking a step back and looking at your roster the Jays are a LH 1B and a LOOGY away from being perfect.

In theory they have the LOOGY (and more) if Oliver comes back. And failing that, Delabar can function as a sort of off-beat LOOGY (his fastball/splitter combo plays very well off lefties, to the point where his R/L splits favor him against lefty batters even though he's a righty) and Loup can potentially fill the role too. For that matter, so can Cecil.

Really, they're good for LOOGY purposes. They just need someone to fill the 1B or DH role (with Encarnacion taking the other spot)

Scion

May 25, 2012
Ummmm, exactly why can't Edwin play 1B and have someone else DH? Wouldn't that perfectly solve the 1B issue?

How would that solve the issue? It just diverts the problem from one position to another.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I know Gose isnt technically still a prospect, but hes going to start in triple A and spend most of the year there so why not.

1.) Aaron Sanchez
2.) Anthony Gose
3.) Roberto Osuna
4.) Daniel Norris
5.) DJ Davis
6.) Marcus Stroman
7.) Matt Smoral
8.) Sean Nolin
9.) Alberto Tirado
10.) Franklin Beratto

Sure we put a MASSIVE dent into the farm but I'd say theres still a good amount of talent and we have a quality pick in this years draft.
Well I think you can't keep Gose on the list out of convenience.

Outside of that, only Sanchez, Osuna and Nolin have any real professional experience where you could say they are "good prospects" the rest are just projections of pre-draft tools which could come crashing down once they start to play pro ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad