Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Madness the 13th: Report - Dickey extended, trade just pending physicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I think Morrow will get the home opener while Romero gets the weekend opener. The best part? You'll get to see all 5 pitchers at home before we go on the road.

Morrow
Dickey
Johnson
Buerhle
Romero

Although they may start the season with Dickey just to really mess up the Indians for the rest of that series.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
cant trust what AA tells us
he said in the winter meetings nothing was going on and was looking for depth players mostly

come on LOL
sneak..

i dont think he's done yet do you?

He said we're capable of making one more big trade with out surrendering a big blow to the system. I don't think free agency was in his sights at all and if he was going to sign somebody, it would just be for depth.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I think Morrow will get the home opener. The best part? You'll get to see all 5 pitchers at home before we go on the road.

vs. Cleve (Morrow)
vs. Cleve (Dickey)
vs. Cleve (Buehrle)

vs. Bos (Johnson)
vs. Bos ( Romero)
vs. Bos (Morrow)

LOL ohh man it's. just. so. good!

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
I think Morrow will get the home opener while Romero gets the weekend opener. The best part? You'll get to see all 5 pitchers at home before we go on the road.

Morrow
Dickey
Johnson
Buerhle
Romero

Although they may start the season with Dickey just to really mess up the Indians for the rest of that series.

Agreed completely.

That said, thinking about the claims that it takes a few games after seeing a knuckleballer for batters to completely get their eye set again, I wouldn't mind a rotation of Morrow, Johnson, Dickey, Romero, Buehrle, just so that Romero, as likely our weakest pitcher out of the 5, gets the somewhat messed up batters.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
vs. Cleve (Morrow)
vs. Cleve (Dickey)
vs. Cleve (Buehrle)

vs. Bos (Johnson)
vs. Bos ( Romero)
vs. Bos (Morrow)

LOL ohh man it's. just. so. good!

Not used to having that many good pitchers in the starting rotation. Going to have to take some getting used to.

Felstead

Boss Status
Feb 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Mike Wilner ‏@Wilnerness590
RADIO TIME!!! Coming up at 3pm East I join the #SimAndTidiots for continued #Dickeyscussions #SN590 @timandsid #Bluejays #Jays
Expand

wilner is getting really annoying

Gotta love being blocked by wilner on twitter for no reason other than stating the obvious.. Lol

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We saw what it did for Morrow when he went out to the mound after Romero. Teams were super late catching up to his fastball, and his slider had so much break that they couldn't stick with it.

Now imagine the year JJ (or even Morrow) would have pitching after Dickey.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
No, not really. That's what happens when you depth. Guys who deserve spots get pushed out and there is nothing wrong with that. They are an asset and the team just won't throw that away when they don't have to. Its still ways away and we don't even know if Oliver will retire or not. If he retires, Happ takes that spot. Someone could also get injured in ST or Santos may not be ready to start the season, etc...

I originally thought that too, but now Im starting to wonder. Won't they want to keep Happ stretched out rather than use him for 1 batter, or 1 inning at a time?

Can we guess that this means the end of Cecil in a jays uniform?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Doesn't really matter to me. Just as long as Buck, who was great during the mlb playoffs btw, and Jerry Howarth (radio) stay. I don't think Wilner would be a good fit at all. He has a vault of information and I just feel he would be barking all game long. The colour man should be someone with a good personality, but not over-powering if that makes any sense. Not to mention they have to have a decent voice. Hayhurst would be interesting. I'm not including Zaun because I think he stays on the 'Panel'.

Buck was good in the playoffs because he was relegated to color commentary, something he's actually suited for. He's still not a great PBP guy. And in my ideal world, Zaun would take the radio color duties and do some panel work (Zaun's strengths are in-game analysis. Xs and Os type stuff. It's when the panel discussion starts giving him front-office topics to talk about that he goes off the rails into stupidtown) and Hayhurst becoming the in-game studio guy with Campbell.

Zaun does have some decent things to say, but to me it seems like he's pretty sauced at times. Purely heresy, I know, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody knew that.

I think you mean "hearsay". Heresy is what you'd be burned at the stake for. :laugh:

What time is the presser and will it be on sportsnet, tsn or tsn2. Thanks.

Probably not for a day or two, at least until the trade is finalized and announced as 100% complete. And we probably won't see a player unveiling/jersey presentation until closer to spring training for all the acquired players.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
AA this off-season

"Disregard prospects, acquire championships"

Someone make that picture.

167466_10152070908570656_1508311875_n.jpg

Here you go

91Kadri91*

For the prospect, I'd take Flores if they'd add him and he can stick at 2B. He had a good season in AA and is only 21. He's a risk, but if he can continue to develop, he'd be a hell of an addition.

I highly doubt he's able to stick at second-base, but if he is, his bat will be pretty elite for the position.

jcollins

BJ Elitist/Hipster
May 13, 2009
The point? You still maintain your depth. Say you do that, you risk exposing Cecil or Rogers to the waivers who are surely to be claimed, Happ gets their spot. Josh Johnson goes down and now you need Happ to fill in that spot and all of a sudden, you are short of a bullpen arm and calling up guys like Dyson/Crawford. What happens when there are multiple injuries? This is why you need depth, its not fair sometimes but it is what it is when you have options. Look at what happened to John Lannon last year, he is a similar pitcher to Happ who started the season and spent most of his time in the minors because there was just no room for him and he was a guy that deserved to be in the majors (he was also making 5M in 2012).

Cecil isn't as bad as some make it out to be either. He sucks as a starter but I don't see any reason why he can't be a great reliever or at least a very good LOOGY. His stuff plays up and it allows him to focus on fewer pitchers... maybe he turns into the next Casey Janssen. Terrible as a starter who had huge platoon splits but is now a great reliever who doesn't have platoon splits anymore. Scott Downs was a terrible starter as well but turned into a great reliever who was elite at getting lefties out. Oliver was a poor starter as well. No sense in wasting a asset when you don't have to.

I've also said Delabar is an option to be sent down if there isn't enough room so it isn't like Happ would need to be sent down.

Ive gotta side with NN on this one.

Particularly given the relative lack of importance of the 7th guy in the pen, I think someone like Happ is better served staying stretched out in AAA

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I get this feeling, that we are hearing both D'Anaurd's and Syndergaard's names is because AA said take one or the other. I mean, last we heard the only reason he was willing to put D'Anaurd in is because Dickey came with an extension.

So I wonder if AA talked him into taking Syndergaard instead because of D'anaurds injuries.

IDK, just seems weird that AA would give arguably our top 2 prospects for Dickey, when we could likely get a younger pitcher.

That said, I am ESTATIC with Dickey. I remember saying getting Josh Johnson was a pipe dream, and not only do we have him, we have MB, Dickey, Reyes, Cabrera

Unreal

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I am in agreement with those mentioning how perfect a dimension RAD brings to the rotation. The Jays already have two great power pitchers. They've also got the crafty lefty.

What, exactly, we would call Ricky I don't know (he's not exactly a crafty lefty, but neither is he a power pitcher); but really RAD is worth more than just whatever numbers he puts up. With this rotation, it really looks like a case of the sum being greater than the parts.

last year I would call him a ****** baseball player

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I've been away for a while, have any other names leaked for sure? And by that I mean not the New York Post People's information?

I hear it's Dickey, Thole, Prospect for D'Arnaud, Syndergaard, Buck, Prospect but it's only from the ny post guys, anyone else saying anything for sure?

Guess that means no Ike Davis :(

And considering the deals that pitchers like Greinke got, you could make the argument that R.A's underpaid.

Let's put this up on the table: How do you set up the Jays rotation for next season? If I was in Gibbons' position, here's how I'd do it:

1. Josh Johnson: Until someone comes along to take the title, consider him the Jays' ace.

2. Mark Buehrle: He'll likely be the team's designated inning-eater.

3. R.A. Dickey: He could challenge Johnson for the team's ace, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him here, either.

4. Ricky Romero: This would be considered a step down for someone who was considered to be the team's ace, but Romero might see it as a way to prove that he can still get the job done.

5. Brandon Morrow: He's definitely shown flashes of brilliance, but this might be where he lands up.

I think it'll be:

1. Johnson
2. Dickey
3. Morrow
4. Buerhle
5. Romero

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Starters:

Josh Johnson (R)
R.A. Dickey (R)
Brandon Morrow (R)
Mark Buehrle (L)
Ricky Romero (L)

Bullpen:

Casey Janssen (R)
Sergio Santos (R)
Darren Oliver (L)
Steve Delabar (R)
Brad Lincoln (R)
Brett Cecil (L)
Esmil Rogers (R)
J.A. Happ (L)

Fielders:

SS Jose Reyes (S)
LF Melky Cabrera (S)
RF Jose Bautista (R)
1B Edwin Encarnacion (R)
DH Adam Lind (L)
3B Brett Lawrie (R)
CF Colby Rasmus (L)
C J.P. Arencibia (R)
2B Maicer Izturis (S)

Bench:

C Josh Thole (L)
OF Rajai Davis (R)
IF/OF Emilio Bonifacio (S)
1B/DH David Cooper (L)
Love it, change two things.

I kind of want to see Bonifacio at 2nd base, it will be him or Izturis for sure. Also, do you think there's a chance we could trade Cecil for another 1 or 2 inning guy lefty?

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
Guess that means no Ike Davis :(

I think it'll be:

1. Johnson
2. Dickey
3. Morrow
4. Buerhle
5. Romero
They'll split up Buerhle and Romero... they won't go Righty, righty, righty, lefty, lefty. Beurhle or Romero will be 3 and the other will be 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad