Red Sox/MLB Off Season III - Tom Werner says ownership’s ‘heart and soul is with the Red Sox,’ and the team is not going to be sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Red Sox have been on a wayward path over the last calendar year, the team falling into last place and chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom rightfully having many of his decisions questioned.

Principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner have remained largely silent, dodging reporters by referring all questions to perpetually optimistic team president Sam Kennedy.

That ended Wednesday when Werner attended the press conference at Fenway Park to announce the team’s 10-year contract extension with All-Star third baseman Rafael Devers and took questions afterward.

To start with, Henry (who also owns the Globe) and Werner aren’t selling the team.

“Absolutely no plans,” Werner said. “People should know that not only is our brains into trying to fix the last-place finish but our heart is with our fans.

“I’m 72; John’s 72. We have a desire to win many more World Series here. As long as we’re healthy, we’re going to be hopefully improving the stewardship of the Red Sox.”

“Our heart and soul is with the Red Sox,” he said.

Werner chuckled at the idea that Henry being booed before the NHL’s Winter Classic at Fenway led to Devers agreeing to a new contract a few days later.

“That’s kind of implausible,” he said. “We’ve been trying to sign Raffy for a long time. By the way, owners get booed. That’s part of the deal. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.”

The Sox remain committed to Bloom, who was hired in 2019. The team is four games over .500 in three seasons since.

“I think that he’s one of the finer heads of baseball operations in baseball,” Werner said. “He had a tough year last year; we all had a tough year.

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
“I think that he’s one of the finer heads of baseball operations in baseball,” Werner said. “He had a tough year last year; we all had a tough year.
You don't typically hear owners say something like this on the record. Might mean absolutely nothing but still interesting to me.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
@KrejciMVP

but whats the appeal to drop a bunch of cash on a last place team besides proving youre not a pink hat. I'd want to see quality baseball if you're going to all the trouble paying for food beer parking and tickets

Because I root for the Red Sox and enjoy going?

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
@KrejciMVP

Because I root for the Red Sox and enjoy going?
Being 15 minutes from Polar Park has been great. I’ve taken my kids a handful of times and didn’t have to go all the way to Boston or pay their asking prices for tickets, parking, and concessions.

The Red Sox have been on a wayward path over the last calendar year, the team falling into last place and chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom rightfully having many of his decisions questioned.

Principal owner John Henry and chairman Tom Werner have remained largely silent, dodging reporters by referring all questions to perpetually optimistic team president Sam Kennedy.

That ended Wednesday when Werner attended the press conference at Fenway Park to announce the team’s 10-year contract extension with All-Star third baseman Rafael Devers and took questions afterward.

To start with, Henry (who also owns the Globe) and Werner aren’t selling the team.

“Absolutely no plans,” Werner said. “People should know that not only is our brains into trying to fix the last-place finish but our heart is with our fans.

“I’m 72; John’s 72. We have a desire to win many more World Series here. As long as we’re healthy, we’re going to be hopefully improving the stewardship of the Red Sox.”

“Our heart and soul is with the Red Sox,” he said.

Werner chuckled at the idea that Henry being booed before the NHL’s Winter Classic at Fenway led to Devers agreeing to a new contract a few days later.

“That’s kind of implausible,” he said. “We’ve been trying to sign Raffy for a long time. By the way, owners get booed. That’s part of the deal. If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.”

The Sox remain committed to Bloom, who was hired in 2019. The team is four games over .500 in three seasons since.

f*** Tom Werner. He’s a clown. He thinks this is a television show and doesn’t get what it is to be a real lifelong diehard fan as we sit and watch this team suck.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Being 15 minutes from Polar Park has been great. I’ve taken my kids a handful of times and didn’t have to go all the way to Boston or pay their asking prices for tickets, parking, and concessions.
Providence Bruins and The Dunk / AMP is like that for me. 10-15 minutes away, a lot cheaper and good hockey. No dealing with Boston traffic and commotion.

I don’t think I could ever bring myself to go to Worcester for a game as a former PawSox goer. Just f*** that whole situation.

Never been to a game in Portland but would love to check it out. Red Sox seem to have some of the best minor league situations in baseball. Greenville and Salem are also top notch from what I’ve heard.

Reactions: BMC, LSCII and CDJ

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Providence Bruins and The Dunk / AMP is like that for me. 10-15 minutes away, a lot cheaper and good hockey. No dealing with Boston traffic and commotion.

I don’t think I could ever bring myself to go to Worcester for a game as a former PawSox goer. Just f*** that whole situation.

Never been to a game in Portland but would love to check it out. Red Sox seem to have some of the best minor league situations in baseball. Greenville and Salem are also top notch from what I’ve heard.
1673473886696.png

Greenville is top notch

The Pawtucket saga just broke my heart

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Even if the Red Sox were good, which they are not, I would have zero desire to go to old ass Fenway Park. Not at those prices. Watching on TV is fine for me.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
Ugh. I thought he'd be a good fit here
I think the A's offered him a spot in their rotation, which I'm not sure was going to be in the cards in Boston.

Guy can throw the crap out of the ball, but only has a rough idea of where it's going once it leaves his hand.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I hear you and get the bitterness. I can say that its a lot of fun and a whole lot nicer than McCoy ever was. I also look at it more about the dysfunction that went on around the Pawtucket site and the Providence, and then Pawtucket and blame the government officials in that state for dragging their feet over it.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I hear you and get the bitterness. I can say that its a lot of fun and a whole lot nicer than McCoy ever was. I also look at it more about the dysfunction that went on around the Pawtucket site and the Providence, and then Pawtucket and blame the government officials in that state for dragging their feet over it.

Yeah, no. I blame the billionaire John Henry for holding the state and the Pawsox hostage and demanding nearly $200m in public money and to be given prime real estate for free to stay.

Also f*ck them for pissing all over Ben Mondor's legacy. You know how many times Mondor raised ticket and concession prices in the 30+ years he owned the team? Zero. Until 2010 when he died, parking at McCoy was still free, ticket prices were still under $10 a seat for box seats and $6 a seat for grandstand and you could feed a family with $20

• Love
Reactions: BMC

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Even if the Red Sox were good, which they are not, I would have zero desire to go to old ass Fenway Park. Not at those prices. Watching on TV is fine for me.

Depends on what you’re looking for in an experience.

I went to the most heartbreaking, frustrating game I’ve ever attended (game 6 vs. Houston in the 21 playoffs) and paid a lot for tickets, but it is still a great memory because I went with my daughter and we had a great time.

Sure I wish the roster were better right now, and they’ve done a lot of things I didn't agree with or would have done differently, but I’ll still catch a game or two in person because I’m a fan and you never know what you’ll see at a MLB game.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kike Hernandez just on for 20 minutes on High Heat zooming with Alanna Rizzo. He said he is close with story and plan was for Hernandez to play SS next to Story. He said he’s been a SS his entire life and best position- Story was intending to play SS for US and felt something. Hernandez said best case scenario and they hope to have him back midsummer. He’s been in contact with him since season ended they are friendly

He was doing interview in car some grocery store around Boston - what he said runs against what I been reading from media and Bill from Franklin and Angry Joey from Moms Basement

Shocker :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad