TSN: Off-Season Game Plan: Buffalo Sabres

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Interesting read. Fairly accurate for a national writer.

Those stats are interesting - especially for Pysyk having such a good Corsi and for D-Lo's being - the worst in the league for forwards?

This predictive depth chart tho - it's something. Still thinking about it.

2016%20TSN%20Depth%20Chart.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing about Deslauriers is part of what we talk about in terms of him being a good 13th forward but there is no way he should be anywhere near anything other than 4th line minutes. Funny that he glosses over Ennis being at #2, instead just talking about his offense on some bad teams. :biglaugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The best part are the guys he has us projected as signing. Teddy Purcell, Tyler Kennedy, Alex Goligoski...and Andre Benoit? WE'RE NOT TANKING ANYMORE!

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Interesting read. Fairly accurate for a national writer.

Those stats are interesting - especially for Pysyk having such a good Corsi and for D-Lo's being - the worst in the league for forwards?

This predictive depth chart tho - it's something. Still thinking about it.

2016%20TSN%20Depth%20Chart.jpg

That lineup made me vomit a little.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
Tyler Kennedy eh?

EDIT: I didn't know he played 50 games for the Devils this year. I thought he was out of the league.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Tyler Kennedy is the 5 years too late signing that Regier was good for. I hope Murray knows better.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Tyler Kennedy eh?

EDIT: I didn't know he played 50 games for the Devils this year. I thought he was out of the league.

Just a hunch you're thinking of Tim Kennedy, he of Buffalo-born and raised and rejected arbitration fame. I always get those confused too.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
The thing about Deslauriers is part of what we talk about in terms of him being a good 13th forward but there is no way he should be anywhere near anything other than 4th line minutes. Funny that he glosses over Ennis being at #2, instead just talking about his offense on some bad teams. :biglaugh:

Nic is the perfect 4th line guy but with injuries when you are playing the guy top 6 minute, his weaknesses are exposed. He reminds me of a poor man Mike Greer. He's not as good in the offensive zone and can add that physical element and energy when needed. Greer was a good PK player too.

Does TM try to build 3 powerful balanced lines in the off season but adding a strong winger and if so, does that push a a guy like ND to the 13th forward position? That would seem to likely.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeesh, so much Benoit hate. It's like you guys don't even appreciate all the work he put in to help us get Eichel. :shakehead

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm surprised they didn't just skip us and pretend we didn't exist.

I am not surprised they had us wanting the top names on the market and then had us landing far worse options in every single case.

If Teddy Purcell is our big offseason forward acquisition... I feel like he actively tried to make our organization worse. Giving contracts to people like that to be top 6 pieces. I mean... "Hey we know you want to add talent...how about giving a new contract to a guy 5 years older than your oldest core piece who scores less than 15 a year and giving him top minutes instead? Because f you."

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Nic is the perfect 4th line guy but with injuries when you are playing the guy top 6 minute, his weaknesses are exposed. He reminds me of a poor man Mike Greer. He's not as good in the offensive zone and can add that physical element and energy when needed. Greer was a good PK player too.

Does TM try to build 3 powerful balanced lines in the off season but adding a strong winger and if so, does that push a a guy like ND to the 13th forward position? That would seem to likely.

Except Grier was an elite defense player and DLo is one of the worst defensive players in the league :laugh:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Deslauriers is there to run into people, punch people in the head and when injuries decimate the team, since he's never injured, put his stick on the ice so RoR can hit it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, plugging in a three-goal scorer on the first line really smacks of improving the team. Really. Like going back to Andre Benoit, one of the worst regular defensemen this team has ever put in the lineup. The assessment is fine -- nothing we don't already know -- but the execution is of that also-ran type of Regier-inspired dribs and drabs moves that are not Murray's style at all.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
This article did no favors for TSN to dissuade Buffalo Fans from thinking TSN cares about Buffalo and its fans and doesn't want to take a dump on them any chance they get.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Just a hunch you're thinking of Tim Kennedy, he of Buffalo-born and raised and rejected arbitration fame. I always get those confused too.

Way I remember it

TYLER KENNEDY - YIKES, GUY HAS A BAT-NOSE

TIM KENNEDY - I'm From Buffalo.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I pushed him on Twitter for a better reason than "I don't think a non playoff team is of interest to free agents" since that would mean he'd have to say the same about every Canadian team. His response was Buffalo's history with signing UFAs. So yeah. There's no difference to him between the cheap owner who let everyone walk, the criminal embezzler owner who went to prison and the billionaire who builds around the arena in his free time from buying NFL franchises with cash and handing out guaranteed millions like they're going out of style.

Or the GM who flat out isn't giving a contract to Teddy ****ing Purcell to play on the top line.

Or that..you know...having an Eichel and Reinhart and acquiring RoR gives them something they haven't had in forever. Players forwards would actually want to play with.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

That's the worst comparison I've seen in a long time.

MyersMagic57*

Clayton Keller???? I understand the other two in that draft spot, but Clayton Keller? Really?

Also, in terms of needs; I think we need to go after more than just one defensemen, might as well swing and see what you can get in terms of production. I'd say two defensemen, one top-six four and thats it. Resign Chad for backup goalie duty.

Not an awful article, but you can tell that this guy wrote most of it while looking at the stat sheet and no doubt did not watch our game in depth, but its good for TSN standards.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'd take Keller over the other 2 every single time.

His inclusion as an option for the pick is literally the only thing he wrote that made sense.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'd take Keller over the other 2 every single time.

His inclusion as an option for the pick is literally the only thing he wrote that made sense.

Where the heck do you have these two falling to then? Why are you taking Keller over the two defensemen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad