A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Today at thanksgiving

BiL 1: I've perfected haluski
MiL: Dumplings or noodle
BiL 1: Noodle
Everyone Else: *shakes head*
I feel absolutely disgusted by your BiL, but I also know lots of Pittsburgh Slovaks who think halušky are noodles, so I probably should feel a bit more pity here. :laugh:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@Pens x I think you said you live in the Fox Chapel area. Have you ever had Dragon Palace that's in Sharpsburg? We've had it three times since November and we're loving it. Probably the best dumplings in/around the city.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well it's Summer-ish. And yet another long offseason. Anyone else busted the grill out yet?

I've always used charcoal but I'm thinking about dropping some money probably better suited for other things on a propane flattop. Someone talk me out of it.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Well it's Summer-ish. And yet another long offseason. Anyone else busted the grill out yet?

I've always used charcoal but I'm thinking about dropping some money probably better suited for other things on a propane flattop. Someone talk me out of it.

I'd be interested in this discussion. I have a standard propane grill and considering upgrading.
And that leads me to this question: how many/much/type briquets should I be using along with the standard burners in my grill?

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'd be interested in this discussion. I have a standard propane grill and considering upgrading.
And that leads me to this question: how many/much/type briquets should I be using along with the standard burners in my grill?

I've never actually tried this. I haven't done propane grills in a long time because they seem to just... disintegrate. Even when cared for. Charcoal is a PIA but the grills are cheap and the flavor is always a cut above IMO.

My assumption was always that propane grills weren't really designed to also handle the heat of charcoal and can be damaged. But I'm betting you could use a smoker box for the coals and that would work pretty well. I guess it never occurred to me to combine the accuracy of a propane grill and the flavor of charcoal.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Ok yinzers help a brother out. Been away way too long.
Comeback once or twice a year and stay downtown.
Looking for a Pittsburgh Italian hoagie.
In the late 80s or early 90s, I worked about a week in a pizza joint on the direct opposite corner of Smithfield News. They threw the hoagie with everything on it- lettuce, tomato, onion, dressing- right into a pizza pan and into the oven. I'm almost certain they had the conveyor style pizza oven.
Best damn Italian hoagies I've ever eaten.
Anywhere in the Downtown vicinity still make em like that?
I've heard Bob's might (Cellones drool lol), but they're always closed before I get in on Friday and closed weekends. :(

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I've never actually tried this. I haven't done propane grills in a long time because they seem to just... disintegrate. Even when cared for. Charcoal is a PIA but the grills are cheap and the flavor is always a cut above IMO.

My assumption was always that propane grills weren't really designed to also handle the heat of charcoal and can be damaged. But I'm betting you could use a smoker box for the coals and that would work pretty well. I guess it never occurred to me to combine the accuracy of a propane grill and the flavor of charcoal.
If control + flavor are key factors, and you are willing to spend more time (it's not going to deliver as quickly as propane, or even a Weber kettle, but it won't be too far off), I'd suggest taking a look at the Big Green Egg. Heavy mother, takes some getting acquainted to, but insanely flexible. Steaks, smoke, slow cooks, it delivers. Variable cooking surfaces, it's really limited just to your imagination. Not cheap, but when you deal with it you'll like not feel like you wasted a cent. Prior to the egg, my best big steak results were always charcoal, quick sear then cook to temp with a thermometer. Kids/life/work moved me to propane, and I got decent grills from Costco with stainless burners and was pretty damn fastidious with cleaning, but would always lose the war. Costco's guarantees were great, last grill I got tolerated three grill and one rotisserie replacements, years after the warranty ran. But it definitely disintegrated, unlike my 20+ year old Weber kettle. I get propane convenience, but I am done. Egg or coal or reverse sear in my kitchen when it is too cold and I remember to disconnect my smoke detectors. None of the answers are bad ones, the fun is in the learning.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Ok yinzers help a brother out. Been away way too long.
Comeback once or twice a year and stay downtown.
Looking for a Pittsburgh Italian hoagie.
In the late 80s or early 90s, I worked about a week in a pizza joint on the direct opposite corner of Smithfield News. They threw the hoagie with everything on it- lettuce, tomato, onion, dressing- right into a pizza pan and into the oven. I'm almost certain they had the conveyor style pizza oven.
Best damn Italian hoagies I've ever eaten.
Anywhere in the Downtown vicinity still make em like that?
I've heard Bob's might (Cellones drool lol), but they're always closed before I get in on Friday and closed weekends. :(

Maybe Cafe Milano on 6th St?

Or perhaps Souper Bowl?

I've not been downtown much recently.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Might be better off getting one of those metal wood chip boxes and smoldering some soaked up chips on there. Or just go the lava rock route.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Went to a place in Aspinwall near the river, Farmer Baker for nice brunch spot. Very disappointing. Couldn't recommend. $31 for a BLT with 2 slices of bacon, and hash potatoes and egg/bacon bowl that was 95% potatoes.

Usually go to Beans and Cream which is always good, but wanted to try a new place.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Went to a place in Aspinwall near the river, Farmer Baker for nice brunch spot. Very disappointing. Couldn't recommend. $31 for a BLT with 2 slices of bacon, and hash potatoes and egg/bacon bowl that was 95% potatoes.

Usually go to Beans and Cream which is always good, but wanted to try a new place.

Agreed on FxB and want to try out Beans and Cream. I've been to FxB three different times. And each time I've been disappointed. The food isn't that flavorful, they're slow, and it's expensive. I really want to like it but just can't.

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Agreed on FxB and want to try out Beans and Cream. I've been to FxB three different times. And each time I've been disappointed. The food isn't that flavorful, they're slow, and it's expensive. I really want to like it but just can't.
Agreed, And I wrote similar in my email survey when I opted for email receipt. It's a nice spot by the river. Enough seating. Just did not deliver the quality, especially for the price. And on this particular day, they had no forks. Did the best I could with the spoon. Service was neither unfriendly or friendly. Very matter of fact. Just no aspect of the stop made me want to go back in the future.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at Beans and Cream. I go there once a week, for the last year or so. Mainly for coffee. But I'll get the occasional lunch and have always been happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Agreed, And I wrote similar in my email survey when I opted for email receipt. It's a nice spot by the river. Enough seating. Just did not deliver the quality, especially for the price. And on this particular day, they had no forks. Did the best I could with the spoon. Service was neither unfriendly or friendly. Very matter of fact. Just no aspect of the stop made me want to go back in the future.

I don't think you'll be disappointed at Beans and Cream. I go there once a week, for the last year or so. Mainly for coffee. But I'll get the occasional lunch and have always been happy with my purchase.

I've never been to a restaurant that runs out of silverware. How does that happen? Why didn't they have some sort of backup like a spork?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I've never been to a restaurant that runs out of silverware. How does that happen? Why didn't they have some sort of backup like a spork?
Although it's a permanent structure, the place is more akin to a food truck in size, Very small. Like an outdoor kiosk type. So you've got hand food, as well as food requiring utensils. But it's only going to be of the plastic kind.

But regardless of the type, still terrible management to run out of utensils.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Although it's a permanent structure, the place is more akin to a food truck in size, Very small. Like an outdoor kiosk type. So you've got hand food, as well as food requiring utensils. But it's only going to be of the plastic kind.

But regardless of the type, still terrible management to run out of utensils.

That makes more sense.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Was on the street Friday, stopped into Beans and Cream, but it was too crowded. So ate lunch across the street, (and a few buildings down), Feast gourmet and eatery. Didn't even know they existed till then.

Very nice little eatery and shop. We had sandwiches for lunch. Very good. Generous portions of protein provided on each. Definitely will be back to try more.

Speaking of generous sandwiches, I definitely want to try out Smokin' Brews in Bloomfield. A buddy of mine says they are legendary there, and I have to try one. Doing a google search, they sure pile the meat high. It's a cigar and beer shop as well. They just happen to make incredible sandwiches.

Anyone been there?

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
What’s it like being someone who likes being wrong almost as much as Eklund?
I use twice as much cabbage, saute to the edges of caramelization, even some pieces caramelized. Short fat PA Dutch egg noodles match the cabbage's texture better.
Heaven my friend.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Been gluten and sugar free for a month. It's not fun, and substitutes are limited, but my body is clearly responding very well. Energy and focus level is up. Feel like it's helped my memory. Had some stubborn eczema on my arm that's clearing up. Sleep quality's improved.
I've transitioned to quinoa + brown rice spaghetti. That's been a saviour. It tastes almost the same, is more nutritious and less of a strain on the digestive tract than what I was doing before.
Also corn tortillas instead of bread has become a staple.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad