OT: Off-season Food and Drink Thread

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
Been gluten and sugar free for a month. It's not fun, and substitutes are limited, but my body is clearly responding very well. Energy and focus level is up. Feel like it's helped my memory. Had some stubborn eczema on my arm that's clearing up. Sleep quality's improved.
I've transitioned to quinoa + brown rice spaghetti. That's been a saviour. It tastes almost the same, is more nutritious and less of a strain on the digestive tract than what I was doing before.
Also corn tortillas instead of bread has become a staple.

Were you diagnosed as being adversely affected by wheat gluten?

Brown rice is the best.

Corn tortillas are bland out of the bag. Are you "treating" them in any way?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Were you diagnosed as being adversely affected by wheat gluten?

Brown rice is the best.

Corn tortillas are bland out of the bag. Are you "treating" them in any way?
I have nerve damage in my shoulder that recently gets triggered by gluten and sugar. It's from taking antibiotics a few years ago, on the good ole doc's orders. Turned out I didn't really need them but he was adamant that I take them as a precaution. I only took 3 pills (over the course of 1.5 days - following the plan) before I got a massive explosion of pain in my shoulder and the arm hasn't been the same since.
So now I get peripheral neuropathy and need to manage it. Sometimes it disappears for months. Sometimes it's more problematic, like right now.
I try to look at it as needing to eat healthy at this point in my life anyway.

I don't treat the tortillas other than with toppings lol.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
I have nerve damage in my shoulder that recently gets triggered by gluten and sugar. It's from taking antibiotics a few years ago, on the good ole doc's orders. Turned out I didn't really need them but he was adamant that I take them as a precaution. I only took 3 pills (over the course of 1.5 days - following the plan) before I got a massive explosion of pain in my shoulder and the arm hasn't been the same since.
So now I get peripheral neuropathy and need to manage it. Sometimes it disappears for months. Sometimes it's more problematic, like right now.
I try to look at it as needing to eat healthy at this point in my life anyway.

I don't treat the tortillas other than with toppings lol.

I had nerve damage to my shoulder too. The top two of six nerves were damaged and I couldn't raise my arm beyond my waist.

I had nerve conduction tests done and they confirmed it. I had fallen to the ground when my heart stopped when cutting grass so it either happened then or when I was transported to the hospital. My hand worked fine but it was PIA as I drive a manual and had to lift my right arm with my left arm to put my hand on the stick shift.

After six months the nerves healed.

It sucks getting old.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I had nerve damage to my shoulder too. The top two of six nerves were damaged and I couldn't raise my arm beyond my waist.

I had nerve conduction tests done and they confirmed it. I had fallen to the ground when my heart stopped when cutting grass so it either happened then or when I was transported to the hospital. My hand worked fine but it was PIA as I drive a manual and had to lift my right arm with my left arm to put my hand on the stick shift.

After six months the nerves healed.

It sucks getting old.
That's rough man. Sorry that happened to you. I'm glad to hear they healed.
Eating the way I am now and taking vitamin/mineral supplements definitely has a big impact on how fast they can heal. B-12 in particular is huge.
I can tell the difference after like a day of abstaining from trash food.
Exercise is huge too, having blood reach extremities properly for prolonged periods.

I am trying to accelerate that process because the longer you allow numbness to persist, the longer the recovery will be. You risk permanent muscle damage too if you really take forever. So I'm taking all the precautions.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Been gluten and sugar free for a month. It's not fun, and substitutes are limited, but my body is clearly responding very well. Energy and focus level is up. Feel like it's helped my memory. Had some stubborn eczema on my arm that's clearing up. Sleep quality's improved.
I've transitioned to quinoa + brown rice spaghetti. That's been a saviour. It tastes almost the same, is more nutritious and less of a strain on the digestive tract than what I was doing before.
Also corn tortillas instead of bread has become a staple.
I've never felt better than when I did keto for the first time. I didn't have any condition I was trying to address, just wanted to see what all the fuss was about, but man. It was amazing. So much energy throughout the whole day and then was asleep when my head hit the pillow. Lost a few lbs as well. I always knew the "you are what you eat" saying, but that really opened my eyes to just how true it is.

I've had a few friends and family members that had joint pains that were cleared up from going keto, too. Even if they didn't stick with it, that initial month or 2 was enough. I always highly encourage anyone who has those types of pains to just try it for a month and see. It sucks, but to me it would be totally worth the sacrifice.

The times I've done keto since, it's not the same, though. I don't know if it's because I don't eat quite as bad as I used to before the first time I did it or I'm not quite as strict or what.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I've had a few friends and family members that had joint pains that were cleared up from going keto, too. Even if they didn't stick with it, that initial month or 2 was enough. I always highly encourage anyone who has those types of pains to just try it for a month and see. It sucks, but to me it would be totally worth the sacrifice.
Totally worth it. The mainstream foods they sell to people en masse at grocery stores is borderline criminal.
Like "here, shorten your lifespan and ruin your quality of life with this!"
Coca Cola for example is as bad as smoking, and people feed that to their kids for years. Sugar is strongly linked to reduced cognitive function. Highly processed foods lead to heart issues.
So when people go full cold turkey from all that garbage, the relief your body feels is massive.

That's because you're not burdening your body with crap during Keto. It can allocate resources to healing properly. Plus you're also supplying it with the optimal nutrients it needs to accelerate the process.
The body is designed to and want to heal itself. You just have to let it work.
With my neuropathy I can tell after one day if I made the right decisions. When I had serious stomach pain a few years ago, I also knew right away if I'm eating foods that are doing more harm than good.

The problem is that the body is built to withstand a fair amount of negligence. We don't really pay attention to the harm that's being done until the damage becomes obtrusive to our daily lives.
The times I've done keto since, it's not the same, though. I don't know if it's because I don't eat quite as bad as I used to before the first time I did it or I'm not quite as strict or what.
Probably a combination of both, yeah. You may not see the results short term as much but long term you'd reap the rewards.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Planning to head up to Erie tomorrow for the day. Any hidden gems, or must stop places to eat along the way? Hole in the wall to relative fancy, doesn't matter. Just hoping for a recommendation or two.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
#4 is the best choice. It is perfectly cooked, slightly crispy, slightly chewy......it is the perfect slice to add to a blot sandwich......if you ask what a blot is.....bacon, lettuce, onion, tomato...
Keep the rabbit food, just give me a knapsack full of that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad