Blue Jays Discussion: Off-season Edition 5.0 - So now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
we didnt resign a soon to be 34 yr old whos about to (if not already) begin the decline. the sky is falling! Maybe JB can take some HGH and go back to early 30's JB while we're at it..

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
There's no way anyone thought that was going to be the highest offer EE was going to get. The Jays offered just enough to look like they tried to resign him but not enough to look more attractive than his expected offers. While it ended up being a competitive offer there is no way Jays management thought he was actually going to jump at that in the first week of free agency when everyone thought the rest of the offers were going to include much more. If we really wanted him we would have kept that offer on the table for longer.

I disagree... EE is an aging player... 4/80 with a 5th year option to 100 is a monster contract.
If he had the loyalty to the club he said he did he would have taken it.

He tried to use the offer to leverage a better deal and failed.

Not the Jays fault at all... and if Morals replaces EE like Happ replaced Price for a fraction of the cost... the Jays made the right decision

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The "I want to be in Toronto" was obviously just negotiation talk.

But it worked on some fans, who now blame management.

doorman

Nov 8, 2012
Thunder Bay
I disagree... EE is an aging player... 4/80 with a 5th year option to 100 is a monster contract.
If he had the loyalty to the club he said he did he would have taken it.

He tried to use the offer to leverage a better deal and failed.

Not the Jays fault at all... and if Morals replaces EE like Happ replaced Price for a fraction of the cost... the Jays made the right decision

Exactly, not to mention the same fans saying this are the ones who would've complained if EE signed elsewhere and other options signed as well for doing nothing. this is a case of a fair offer being made and an agent reading the market wrong. I also find it hard to believe EE left lots more money on the table to play in Cleveland then Oakland or Texas.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The "I want to be in Toronto" was obviously just negotiation talk.

But it worked on some fans, who now blame management.

fans are always so quick to blame management in all sports i dont get it. Nobody knows the whole truth of course, but the info we have sounds to me like the jays made a very good serious offer gave a timeline and said ok we are moving on, that sounds like perfect negotiations to me dont want to miss out on plan B, which doesn't necessarily mean "oh pearce replacing EE" it means (plan b) lets upgrade a different position and use league average at 1B.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It was EE who wouldn't negotiate during the season
It was EE whose priority was not the Blue Jays, but to test the market (despite the I love Toronto narrative)

And again, we barely made it in the playoffs last year and the team was too dependent on the long ball. Time for some tweaks

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
It was EE who wouldn't negotiate during the season
It was EE whose priority was not the Blue Jays, but to test the market (despite the I love Toronto narrative)

And again, we barely made it in the playoffs last year and the team was too dependent on the long ball. Time for some tweaks

Morales was brought in to replace the power is a worse version of Edwin, I don't see how its going away from the long ball

Edwin: .263/.357/.886/3.7WAR/19.7 Strikeout %
Morales: .263/.327/.795/0.9WAR/19.4 Strikeout %

Maybe moreso dependent on the longball if we bring in Moss/Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad