Speculation: Off-season Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
Gudbranson is a solid second pairing defenseman. It's no guarantee McCann becomes a 2C and the second isn't all that likely to make the NHL.

I like the deal for Vancouver.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's going to be funny when Benning hands Troy Bouwer a contract as if he's a top six forward this summer & continues to dig the hole for the next guy that replaces him.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Isn't it bizarre that us, as fans, can see these disasters. We are supposed to be relatively less knowledgable than these guys, but we all see it coming. We saw it coming with Holmgren, we saw the deals he was making were bad, how do they not? How do the owners not see these messes?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Wow. I like this deal for Florida. They cashed in on Gudbranson and got a decent return while he apparently still had value.

It's amazing the inflated value that attaches to a player simply from being a high first round pick.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
All the advanced stat gurus are killing Benning for this. As they usually do with any move he makes.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Isn't it bizarre that us, as fans, can see these disasters. We are supposed to be relatively less knowledgable than these guys, but we all see it coming. We saw it coming with Holmgren, we saw the deals he was making were bad, how do they not? How do the owners not see these messes?

How do you not know if it is actually the owners pushing for these moves? Not every team has owners willing to tank some seasons to get better. Holmgren made bad deals when he was desperately trying to find developed defensemen and one "elite" goalie. How much was that the result of a win now mandate from Snider? Benning could be doing exactly what the owner wants and the price paid for Gudbranson is more an example of the cost of young defensmen than actual idiocy.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Gubranson has a 1.5MM overage bonus.

This cat is gonna cost 1.5MM over his current cap that Vancouver never even got to enjoy. lol

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
How do you not know if it is actually the owners pushing for these moves? Not every team has owners willing to tank some seasons to get better. Holmgren made bad deals when he was desperately trying to find developed defensemen and one "elite" goalie. How much was that the result of a win now mandate from Snider? Benning could be doing exactly what the owner wants and the price paid for Gudbranson is more an example of the cost of young defensmen than actual idiocy.

That's very possible. So I'll shift it to "execs" Owners can make bad deals too that are obvious.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Nucks ownership is known to be hands on by their fans but Benning is still terrible in his own right. Most of his moves are either bad or lateral ones at best. They're often predictable as the player he typically is acquiring is one that fits the "old time hockey" mold.

Hopefully Hextall can take advantage of him soon before he gets fired.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
HaHaHa Benning strikes again!

A promising prospect with 2C potential and a 2nd that is 33rd overall for a stay at home 2nd pair defensemen (for a team that should be rebuilding no less!!)

First Shinkaruk and now McCann. Hahaha.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Desperate GMs do desperate things. By the time McCann is a player, Benning will be long gone.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

A promising prospect with 2C potential and a 2nd that is 33rd overall for a stay at home 2nd pair defensemen (for a team that should be rebuilding no less!!)

Chiarelli must be ticked having the price for defenseman set very high by Benning.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

You realize Gudbranson is all of 24, right? Hardly incompatible with a rebuild. He slots in behind Tanev and serves as a reasonable replacement for Hamhuis. The 2nd perhaps tilts it in FLA's favor, but there'a a lot of overreaction, particularly given how fervently VAN fans defend Tanev.

Weird move by FLA, unless they see either McCann or Trochek as a winger?

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You realize Gudbranson is all of 24, right? Hardly incompatible with a rebuild.

Weird move by FLA, unless they see either McCann or Trochek as a winger?

That may be true..but McCann is 19..and that 33rd overall is even younger.

Gudbranson is solid. Dont get me wrong..but the Canucks should be getting younger not older. They are nowhere near contending. Hell Gudbranson might be 30 by the time that team is good at this rate and with Benning in charge.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Let's ask the question....would you have traded Gudas for that return?

Absolutely.

And thats with the Flyers being a lot closer to contending than Vancouver.

MDZ-Ghost
Provorov-MacDonald
Schultz-Streit

I could have lived with that next season with Morin knocking on the door too.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I assumed it was a goofy sports talk radio rumor or something, not a real trade. I legit feel bad for the tons of knowledgeable Canucks fans out there that understand their slide into long term irrelevance. Oof,

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
That may be true..but McCann is 19..and that 33rd overall is even younger.

Gudbranson is solid. Dont get me wrong..but the Canucks should be getting younger not older. They are nowhere near contending. Hell Gudbranson might be 30 by the time that team is good at this rate and with Benning in charge.

McCann is a Scott Laughton-level prospect. I don't think he's more valuable than a 24 year-old 2nd pairing RHD. They are almost certainly going to add a blue-chip forward to their system at the draft, and it's not like they are stocked at the blue-line.

The high second is a surprising add. I think FLA got good value--tnough, as I said above, I'm not sure about the fit.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
McCann is a Scott Laughton-level prospect. I don't think he's more valuable than a 24 year-old 2nd pairing RHD. They are almost certainly going to add a blue-chip forward to their system at the draft, and it's not like they are stocked at the blue-line.

The high second is a surprising add. I think FLA got good value--tnough, as I said above, I'm not sure about the fit.

McCann + 33rd overall + 4th for stay at home #4 dman and 5th is bad deal for a team like Vancouver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad