Off-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsDieHard*

It's hard to find young impact players.

DLR will be a good bottom-9 player for a while. Hopefully DSP gets in better shape to become a real top-6 player.

Other than that our prospect pool isn't fantastic.

Scherbak is a hell of a prospect.

Hudon and Andrighetto look to have top 9 forward potential.

Lehkonen, Reway are 2 Europeans who could have an impact in the near future.

Smith-Pelley is a fat piece of garbage and that trade was a laughably bad move.

Bergevin didn't need to get a young impact player from last years' team to this one, but making the forward group significantly worse offensively was just a failure on any level.

And an indefensible one.

There were plenty of options available to improve the offence, he failed badly at every one of them.

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
1. Re-sign Petry
2. Change coaching staff for offense (Hopefully MT goes too)
3. Trade Emelin and Gilbert. Beaulieu, Pateryn and most likely another cheaper alternative could replace those two. This is done only if we can re-sign Petry.
4. Improve top 6. Our bottom 6 is good. We need to upgrade the top 6. I hate seeing fans ***** about our bottom 6 for scoring when the top6 isn'T bringing it. Other teams' top lines score for them, but our forwards don't.

Trade away DD, PAP, Emelin, Gilbert. Wouldn't mind letting Pleks go either. And I've been a huge fan and defender of Pleks. I think it's time to part ways.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Plekanec needs to be moved while he still has value. He only has 1 year left on his deal so that could be attractive to some GMs.
I could see that happening, I don't mind either way but one of Pleks and DD had to move LAST year. The problem is exasperated with an underperforming Bustchenyuk on the wing. If Chucky had shown more improvement, it would've forced Bergevin's hand.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I doubt it. I think MT was very aware of his teams lack of skill up front, that's partially why he coached the way he did. You can't have it both ways.

Big question is "did Galchenyuk learn and grow this year?"

We will see next year....but we better hope the answer is yes.

his decision to stick with DD in offensive situations/roles, instead of bumping eller into that roll, completely refutes your line of thinking.

He had options that he never even tried.

in the elimination game, he rolled 4 lines far too long, then when he finally shortened the bench, he kept giving minutes to 2 incredibly consistent UNPRODUCTIVE offensive players... Pap & DD.

Galch likely took a step back this year thanks in large part to his HC. he has nothing to pul confidence from, and his coach never made any attempt to put him in a position to succeed... if anything, he'll need 1/2 a season just to erase the memory of this debacle

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I'm pretty sure Eller and Emelin will both be gone this summer. Those hoping DD and Plekanec will be traded will be disappointed.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Yeah definitely time to move on with Plekanec.

That's pretty drastic. He's fantastic with Patches on the penalty kill and it leaves a huge void in the top 6 if you don't get a similar replacement.

I'm tired of his playoff no-shows but Habs could do a lot worse for a 2nd line C.

Assuming the McGuire rumor was true:

Pacioretty ____ Gallagher
Galchenyuk Plekanec ____
Desharnais* Anisimov DSP
Prust DLR Weise
Mitchell

I'd really love for MB to do whatever it takes to land Ryan O'Reilly

*please note this is a complete fantasy lineup without Therrien's input.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I'm pretty sure Eller and Emelin will both be gone this summer. Those hoping DD and Plekanec will be traded will be disappointed.

Just DD would do wonders.

This team is going nowhere with this guy in the roster.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Ideally, in my dream world, Plek and DD are traded and we get Staal.

Patches - Staal - Gally
??? - Galchenyuk - ???
Ghetto/Hudon - Eller - DSP
Prust - Mitchell - Weise

unless this dream world also consists of one of those rookies being in a top-6 position.

PricePkPatch*

Do not panic
Do not overreact
Last time that happened, we signed George ****ing Parros

Our team is better than last year. There is some dead weight, and some incoming improvement.

Step #1 is get Jordan Subban's rights for the AHL next year. Its #1 because its deadline is.first

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Bergevins' tenure is riddled with half measures.

Since coming on board in Spring 2012, he has done nothing to improve the teams' offensive depth.

They haven't had any real surplus picks gained in that time, and they are now back to back years without a 2nd round pick (something everyone in here loves to condemn Gauthier and Gainey for doing).

43 regular season goals and another 17 playoff goals from Vanek/Briere/Gionta/Bourque last year...

All 4 players are players I'm sure we could agree the team could have improved on.

Yet they significantly downgraded on every level.

I'm looking forward for the people to move the goal posts to justify wasting an MVP year from Price

Nothing? He went and acquired Vanek. While Vanek didn't do much in the playoffs, he was still a good addition. At least an attempt to improve our top 6.

You say it as if acquiring a top 6 is the easiest thing ever. We got Vanek cheap because he was a rental. I'm sure MB looked into it. Btw, he's been drafting plenty of forwards.

You can't really blame MB if the picks pan out to your expectations either.

By the way, we don'T have a 2nd round pick because we gave it for Petry. Which was more than a fair deal. Now if we re-sign him. That would be incredible value.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Do anything to fill the massive gap at Center. Our Centers have never done anything in the playoffs. Not in their prime. Not after their prime. Not even now that they're slower and over the hill.... And oh... That doesn't mean they'll do better next playoffs when they'll be even slowerer and overer the hiller...

supertzar

Aug 2, 2005
Connecticut
Clearly offense needs to be improved. Time is now. No more waiting. Who has MB brought in that is a difference maker yet who has stayed? He needs to improve team not meddle in bottom6 forever

If we go into the season sans Petry, DD as 1C and now top 6 improvements dont expect success. Price is unlikely to have THIS amazing a year. Time to do work MB instead of pushing pawns around.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Is Galchenyuk a 1st line centre?

Where will the Habs fine a 1st line centre?

They can trade for a Kessel to put him with Pacioretty.. But still need a #1 centre to play with them.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
Markov has to be traded before Emelin.

Markov is done. He's been on the ice for the most goals against.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
DD
Plekanec
Eller
Mitchell

That center depth is ugly.

Pacioretty - Plekanec- Gallagher
Galchenyuk - DD - Weise/Parenteau?

That top 6 is disgusting. There are many bottom 10 teams with better top 6's than this.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Those of you looking to move Pleks. If he's part of a package, I agree and I think the market for him out west would be pretty good for him. Edmonton could sure use him to bring some stability.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
W7 is right.. Galchenyuk is a bust.
If we can somehow package him and a 1st rounder for a decent #1C, I'm all for it!

I can't see DD or Plekanec fetching anything. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd for Plekanec and a 3rd-4th for DD.
Just to get rid of them, I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad