Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Baseball money is always wild but these contracts never fail to make my eyes water.

Hide your shortstops because i get the feeling Texas isn't done either. Still a ton of work to do to fix the backend of their rotation and bullpen. Apparently they're expected to be in on Senga as well.

They got themselves a decent lineup between Garver, Semien, Garcia, Seager and Lowe. Should be an interesting team to watch and the AL West gets even more competitive.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
DeGrom wasting his remaining prime years on a terrible Rangers team and the Rangers throwing money away on a player that can't stay healthy and will be past prime when/if they get good.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
DeGrom wasting his remaining prime years on a terrible Rangers team and the Rangers throwing money away on a player that can't stay healthy and will be past prime when/if they get good.
Texas isn't that far away from being good though. The lineup is basically ready to go, they now have a legitimate rotation between Perez, Jon Gray and now DeGrom. They're still allegedly in on Kodai Senga.

Their bullpen is still admittedly very bad but even if they can get that to like, mediocre they're probably right in the mix for a playoff spot. The AL is soft enough as well since it barely had enough to field a 7 team playoff.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I don’t mind it from either side. DeGrom gets paid and goes to a weak division. Eventually the Astros have to feel these losses (Springer, Correra and possibly Verlander). West could be opening.

Not ideal with his recent injury history. But at this point if you are the Rangers, do you care? What do you have to lose? Can’t spend $500M+ on Seager and Semien and then less than a year later, stop spending.

I think it might work out if he stays healthy. Deal is for his 35-39 seasons.

If he ages like Scherzer or Verlander, which is possible and even likely, the Rangers are very happy.

I’d actually take deGrom at $185M over 5 for his aged 35-39 seasons over:

Scherzer at $130M over 3 for aged 37-39

or

Say Verlander at $120M over 3 or $80M over 2 for his aged 40-42 seasons.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don’t mind it from either side. DeGrom gets paid and goes to a weak division. Eventually the Astros have to feel these losses (Springer, Correra and possibly Verlander). West could be opening.

Not ideal with his recent injury history. But at this point if you are the Rangers, do you care? What do you have to lose? Can’t spend $500M+ on Seager and Semien and then less than a year later, stop spending.

I think it might work out if he stays healthy. Deal is for his 35-39 seasons.

If he ages like Scherzer or Verlander, which is possible and even likely, the Rangers are very happy.

I’d actually take deGrom at $185M over 5 for his aged 35-39 seasons over:

Scherzer at $130M over 3 for aged 37-39

or

Say Verlander at $120M over 3 or $80M over 2 for his aged 40-42 seasons.
The Rangers have decided that money is in fact, no thing. As you pointed out i don't think a team throws the bank vault at guys like Seager/Semien and then goes "nah we're good"

They're in it to at least try and win it. I respect it. The more teams that try to win is better for baseball as a whole.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm not sure that contract is going to be worth it for the Rangers.

Bring on the winter meetings!

18c50833da8b70150ec4e9125467706f.gif

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Completely expected.

It's interesting. The two biggest names on the market pitching wise this offseason both come with considerable risk.

DeGrom for the fact he's made a total of like 38 starts over 3 seasons and the fact he's in his mid 30s. Injury problems don't tend to get better with age. The reward is too tantalizing though and i don't blame teams.

Verlander is going to be 40 by team the season starts and is coming off arguably the best season of his long, storied career. Everyone is rightfully questioning "how long can he keep it going?" because age is a cruel, cruel mistress sports wise unless your name happens to be Tom or Nolan.

Hell you could even go farther by arguing the next best name in Carlos Rodon also doesn't come without risk given his prior problems with injury.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Rangers have decided that money is in fact, no thing. As you pointed out i don't think a team throws the bank vault at guys like Seager/Semien and then goes "nah we're good"

They're in it to at least try and win it. I respect it. The more teams that try to win is better for baseball as a whole.
Definitely nice to see teams aggressively trying to win, but it says a lot about the state of the Rangers recently that they spent about $700 million (so far) the last two offseasons to get to "If our new frequently-injured ace can stay healthy and we can plug a couple more holes in the lineup and rotation and then completely rebuild the entire bullpen, we might be able to push for a playoff spot since the division looks weak."

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
There’s a report (Robert Murray on twitter) that Brian Reynolds has asked to be traded. I know it’s been discussed that Pit isn’t a fit for our excess catching, but would love if we could find a way. He’s almost a perfect fit.

Reactions: Avilaj07

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
There’s a report (Robert Murray on twitter) that Brian Reynolds has asked to be traded. I know it’s been discussed that Pit isn’t a fit for our excess catching, but would love if we could find a way. He’s almost a perfect fit.

MAB1

Jul 18, 2022
Much rather trade for an arm like Burnes than commit big money that Verlander and Rodon will get. If they can retain Stripling/sign Heaney and Berrios bounces back that might be the best 1-5 in baseball. Use their $$$ in FA to sign a guy like Correa imo.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
The big question with Reynolds is if the Pirates have any interest in our catchers. If they don't want catchers then we don't have a chance. Fingers crossed lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad