Blue Jays Discussion: Off-Season Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
JBJ now has 8 hits in 41 PAs with the Jays.

Zimmer got 8 hits in 87 PAs with the Jays.
Not really surprising since Bradley has shown signs of being a good hitter in the past.

He had two seasons of an above 800 OPS AND was an all-star for some reason.

I still remember even as a more casual fan back then people being like "oh shit JBJ figured it out!" and then poof, right back to being average to below average.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Baseball is a harsh mistress, man. You can lead the world in hits and be productive for a few seasons then you plummet like Merrifield who all of a sudden can’t hit a lick. He was an all-star, now he is basically replacement level. Players peak at different stages, I guess.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Baltimore has the best defenders in the AL at 3B and SS.

Donaldson is a legit GG threat after being terrible for a few years (not suspicious at all) while Kiner-Falefa (their all glove, no bat SS) has only been the 8th best defensive shortstop in the AL.

Trevino should win the GG behind the plate and Schoop looks like the 2B GG (and platinum glove).

1st base is a mess of crap. They should all lose. In the OF, Kepler, Straw and Buxton should win.

For the Jays, OF defense and SS have not been great. For Bo, he's been up and down but there is still hope. For the OF, they just aren't good defensively. We are approaching the point where George should arguably be playing RF regularly, Teo's decline defensively largely coincides with him getting hurt, and Lourdes has been consistently bad this year.

Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Baltimore has the best defenders in the AL at 3B and SS.

Donaldson is a legit GG threat after being terrible for a few years (not suspicious at all) while Kiner-Falefa (their all glove, no bat SS) has only been the 8th best defensive shortstop in the AL.

Trevino should win the GG behind the plate and Schoop looks like the 2B GG (and platinum glove).

1st base is a mess of crap. They should all lose. In the OF, Kepler, Straw and Buxton should win.

For the Jays, OF defense and SS have not been great. For Bo, he's been up and down but there is still hope. For the OF, they just aren't good defensively. We are approaching the point where George should arguably be playing RF regularly, Teo's decline defensively largely coincides with him getting hurt, and Lourdes has been consistently bad this year.
Bichette is actually good laterally and his throwing errors wouldn't be as much of an issue at 2B. His bat clearly plays anywhere and while Biggio would lose a bit of a playing time if we move Bichette to 2B I think Espinal and Chapman on the left side of the infield and Bichette and Gurrerro on the right side of the infield improves us substantially. I wouldn't experiment with it now because we're so close to the playoffs but if Bo has a poor defensive performance in the playoffs (I'm expecting he will tbh) I would strongly consider moving him to 2B for the start of next season. Also having a 2B that can play SS in a pinch is good. Chapman-Espinal-Bichette-Gurrerro would be good defensively.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
At the start of the year that starting rotation looked so strong and deep. It really seemed like the pitching was going to be better than it turned out. The playoffs are largely a 3 starter event so maybe it can still work. They'll need some relievers to punch a little above their weight too which isn't impossible. A team not far off the calibre of the 2022 Jays won the 2021 WS so there's some hope.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
At the start of the year that starting rotation looked so strong and deep. It really seemed like the pitching was going to be better than it turned out. The playoffs are largely a 3 starter event so maybe it can still work. They'll need some relievers to punch a little above their weight too which isn't impossible. A team not far off the calibre of the 2022 Jays won the 2021 WS so there's some hope.

And that team absolutely took off this year. I expect Toronto to have the same trajectory, whether they win the WS this year or not. I believe this team can get to 100 wins level next year, and I do believe they have underachieved this year. Management will keep being aggressive in the winter how they showed the last couple of years.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Amazing to see Bichette finally step up and play like he did last year.
Monaoh is a beast

Vladdy been trash. Not sure what's wrong with him but he's hurting the team. Terrible at bats are the only thing you know you're getting from him. He has to be better for this year to make big noise.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto

Games 3-7 of the ALCS are on consecutive days this year so rotation depth will be a lot more important than usual.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Games 3-7 of the ALCS are on consecutive days this year so rotation depth will be a lot more important than usual.

Who the f*** thought that was a good idea?

Almost no sport plays four games back to back like that in the postseason.

It benefits the Jays since you get to roll with a foursome of Manoah/Gausman/Berrios/Stripling still but like...why, man?

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

It's wild how young some of our players are. Manoah, Kirk, Vladdy and Bo are all younger than Adley

Berrios will be the X-factor in the rotation. We know what we'll be getting from Manoah and Gausman and hopefully Stripling, but Berrios has been such a wildcard this year

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Rosters only expand by two players now instead of allowing anyone on the 40-man to join the team.
I’ll add that now you also can only either call up two position players or one pitcher and one position player. It cannot be two pitchers. I don’t know why they made that distinction.

Reactions: hockeywiz542
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad