Patriots/NFL Off-Season: Brady Leaving Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
My ideal plan involves signing AB, but I know in reality that isn't going to happen.

So I'd go for Hunter Henry and take a flyer on Larry Fitz and let him mentor N'keal Harry. Draft another catching TE, sign OL depth, and I think we're in good shape.

Fitz re-signed with Arizona. Even if you could trade for him, for whatever reason, I don't think he's got any interest in leaving. Must be something in the water out there that makes players not care as much about winning. Shane Doan did the same thing.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Issue is, how do you bring back Brady, sign someone like Henry, and still have any money for guys like McCourty, Collins, Van Noy and/or Thuney?

Unfortunately, I think the last three on your list are gone. Van Noy and Thuney feel like definites, and Collins will depend on if other teams just think he plays better in New England, and can't be as good elsewhere.

I do think there's some funny cap math they can do if it's a multi-year deal for Brady. I'm also not convinced that he's going to take every dollar he can get. If all he really cares about is getting another ring, then you'd think he'd want to take less money so that the team could build around him.

In the end, I don't think loyalty to or sentimentality for the Patriots is going to keep Brady here. He's going to go to the place where he thinks he has the best chance to win, assuming Gisele is willing to move there for a year or two, since I don't think he wants to move somewhere without his family when he talks all the time about how important it is for him to be present as a father.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Fitz re-signed with Arizona. Even if you could trade for him, for whatever reason, I don't think he's got any interest in leaving. Must be something in the water out there that makes players not care as much about winning. Shane Doan did the same thing.

I feel like if you could get Fitz it would only be at the TDL

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Unfortunately, I think the last three on your list are gone. Van Noy and Thuney feel like definites, and Collins will depend on if other teams just think he plays better in New England, and can't be as good elsewhere.

I do think there's some funny cap math they can do if it's a multi-year deal for Brady. I'm also not convinced that he's going to take every dollar he can get. If all he really cares about is getting another ring, then you'd think he'd want to take less money so that the team could build around him.

In the end, I don't think loyalty to or sentimentality for the Patriots is going to keep Brady here. He's going to go to the place where he thinks he has the best chance to win, assuming Gisele is willing to move there for a year or two, since I don't think he wants to move somewhere without his family when he talks all the time about how important it is for him to be present as a father.

Staying put then, assuming they get him some help on offense.

I get the hypothetical fit for both the Raiders and Chargers, but neither of them are on the level of the Chiefs. I don't care how good Brady or a team is, you aren't bearing Mahomes most likely 3 times in a season.

None of the NFC that have reported interest teams make any sense for him either.

Though, I do wonder if the Saints would be a fit if Brees does retire. They have the talent, and are in win now mode.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I don’t think Henry is going to be available. I’m sure they’ll tag him as they really have no other big impending free agents.

Sign Greg Olsen and draft either Cole Kmet or Adam Trautman and you are 1000% better at that position.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Staying put then, assuming they get him some help on offense.

I get the hypothetical fit for both the Raiders and Chargers, but neither of them are on the level of the Chiefs. I don't care how good Brady or a team is, you aren't bearing Mahomes most likely 3 times in a season.

None of the NFC that have reported interest teams make any sense for him either.

Though, I do wonder if the Saints would be a fit if Brees does retire. They have the talent, and are in win now mode.

Yeah, if I were to add another paragraph to my post, I would have said that I still see him here next year. Sure, the Chargers have talent, but their offensive line is bad and they find ways to lose games every year. I think people are kidding themselves if they think that's all on Rivers. It's just a systemic problem for that organization. A new QB, even Brady, isn't going to fix that.

As for the Raiders, they look solid, but I don't see Brady working well with Gruden. I think they'd clash. Raiders also went 7-3 in 1-score games last year, and that's usually something that's difficult to repeat year-over-year. They went 7-9 overall, but their expected W-L was 5-11. (Full disclosure, Chargers were 2-9 in 1-score games, and had a 5-11 record with an expected W-L of 8-8).

As you mentioned, both teams also have the issue of being in the AFC West, where you're playing second fiddle to the Chiefs.

I was most worried about the Titans, but it seems clear that they're not going to bail on Tannehill.

I still feel like, if you look at it logically, the Patriots give Brady the best chance to win and the least uncertainty. Anywhere he goes, he's going to have to learn a new offense and develop chemistry with new players. He might need a year to do all of that, but he doesn't have a year to waste. I think his demise was overstated last year, but I still think he's only got a maximum of two more years left in him.

Reactions: rfournier103

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I don’t think Henry is going to be available. I’m sure they’ll tag him as they really have no other big impending free agents.

Sign Greg Olsen and draft either Cole Kmet or Adam Trautman and you are 1000% better at that position.

Olsen didn't even take a visit here. Sounds like Washington, Buffalo, and Seattle are his three options.

I think we might be looking at something like Eric Ebron and a rookie (maybe use one of their 3rd rounders on a TE, which is probably the ceiling for someone like Trautman/Moss).

Reactions: N o o d l e s

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The idea of us trading a 3rd for Andy Dalton just popped into my brain and I’m in a cold sweat, somebody reassure me!

Reactions: LSCII

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
I hate to throw out absurd ideas and all, but what about the possibility of Belichick taking a flyer on Cardale Jones or PJ Walker in the XFL? I know it has only been two weeks and the competition level isn't the same as the NFL, but they both seem to be really good and they're young. Plus, they would also come in on relatively cheap money.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I always loved cardale since he ran up the score on a kid in the hospital on a video game. Straight out of the chappelle show

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The playoff and schedule changes in the new CBA looks so gimmicky and trashy. The NFL is getting ridiculous with some of the ways it wants to "tweak" the game. Like they can't even get new rules right and yet they think this 17 week schedule, stupid playoff format, and the possibility of a team in London will go swimmingly as they jerk the union around. It's absolutely frustrating. Especially when DeMaurice Smith seems to do nothing but bend over to these clowns like Jerry Jones yet expect the players to take this deal when they still barely get half of the revenue after going down from 60% and getting screwed on other matters. I really hope the players show some fortitude and strike or fire DeMaurice Smith. I'm not pro union but the NFL players deserve better than how they are being treated. They aren't the problem with this league, in comparison to their polar opposite in the MLBPA who hold way too much power.

Reactions: smithformeragent

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Dude I look at as an older brother was here this weekend visiting. Some 7v7 football thing for his son with college scouts around. Met former NFLers Phillip Thomas and Anthony McCoy. Talking with McCoy brought up the SB he lost with Butler INT. He mentioned the Eagles SB and Brady. Good dude. Was interesting to watch. Lots of talented kids.

Talked with my big bro bout the NFL and some college ball. Guess one of his buddies knows Herm Edwards and we talked about N'Keal Harry. SUPPOSEDLY......................Harry is dumb. He could/can only run routes on one side of the field and would get confused if he was given the same route on the other side. Take that for what its worth.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Issue is, how do you bring back Brady, sign someone like Henry, and still have any money for guys like McCourty, Collins, Van Noy and/or Thuney?

I think Collins or Van Noy going to Giants.Just my gut says Joe Judge influence gets one of them there and its a big need for them anyways so the push should be there with plenty of cap room for them..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad