Rumor: OFF-SEASON AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Who wants to tell Chambers that AHL players don't count against the cap?

I don't think Chambers is particularly interested in the NHL. He doesn't know any players outside of Denver. He doesn't know the rules, especially when it comes to cap/waivers/CBA. He doesn't keep track of what's going on, so he was completely oblivious to the fact that Buffalo had traded #21 pick despite it happening the same day. He didn't even know the name of a former #12 pick Avs just traded for but called him Grekorako.

I'm sure he can stick his mic in front of players after games and get a quote or two, but when he's making lists of free agents Avs will be interested in it's just baffling.

Knowing what's going on around the league should be a minimum requirement for a beat writer.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Yep. Dater was at least passable, although a bonehead who generally sounded drunk in his interviews.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I've lost all respect for Chambers at this point. He clearly only cares about DU hockey, which is fine but don't pretend to know stuff about the Avs. And sure as hell don't start criticize their moves just because they didn't pick a local kid that you have a weird obsession with. The other thing that is starting to annoy me is the constant blatant errors that keep occurring in his articles. I mean in the article about the ROR trade he spelled both Grigorenko and Zadorov wrong. It's fine if you don't know how to spell their names as they are foreign names. But how hard is it to do 5 seconds of research to figure out how spell their names.

I'm seriously considering sending a complaint to the Denver Post. I know it won't do anything. I just want them to know what a completely worthless "beat" writer they are employing.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Someone will sign Richards for cheap, but he's done. That's too bad!

He is almost certainly done with little hope of becoming a contributing everyday member of a roster...but at 1-2 mill on a one year deal, it would 100% worth the risk....a risk of nothing other than a little cash. Avs won't hit the cap this year, so at least kicking the tires on Richards should at least be on the Avs "to-do" list.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I think Pickard`s signing will be a little tricky since he and his agent will push for a 1W deal. which is understandable, imo. I know I would, if I were him.

about UFA, I just saw the available Ds list got a huge drop in quality. SJ renewed with Stollery. :( damn, I hope we can grab at least one of Cumiskey, Orr`Brien or Benoit still.

returnofthemack29

Feb 20, 2015
I think Pickard`s signing will be a little tricky since he and his agent will push for a 1W deal. which is understandable, imo. I know I would, if I were him.

about UFA, I just saw the available Ds list got a huge drop in quality. SJ renewed with Stollery. :( damn, I hope we can grab at least one of Cumiskey, Orr`Brien or Benoit still.

Clearly you didn't see that Meszaros is available! :sarcasm:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm basically prepared for one of these guys to file for arbitration. Which isn't the end of the world, almost everyone settles prior to it. But we can't have life around here without contract drama so I'm prepared for it.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I've lost all respect for Chambers at this point. He clearly only cares about DU hockey, which is fine but don't pretend to know stuff about the Avs. And sure as hell don't start criticize their moves just because they didn't pick a local kid that you have a weird obsession with. The other thing that is starting to annoy me is the constant blatant errors that keep occurring in his articles. I mean in the article about the ROR trade he spelled both Grigorenko and Zadorov wrong. It's fine if you don't know how to spell their names as they are foreign names. But how hard is it to do 5 seconds of research to figure out how spell their names.

I'm seriously considering sending a complaint to the Denver Post. I know it won't do anything. I just want them to know what a completely worthless "beat" writer they are employing.

Looks like even the usually level-headed RS is on the warpath against Chambers on twitter. Been fun to read so far; nice to see someone reputable finally calling him out. :popcorn:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Looks like even the usually level-headed RS is on the warpath against Chambers on twitter. Been fun to read so far; nice to see someone reputable finally calling him out. :popcorn:

That's awesome!! I hope he tears him up.

It's just annoying that there is only one paper in town, and one beat writer for the team, and he doesn't have a clue whats going on. So he just writes about DU and what players might be coming there and how the Avs should take some guy that is coming to DU in the fall etc.

I feel like we as fans deserve something better in regard to covering a major sport team in the state. I'm not a Dater fan either but at least he was competent and wrote stuff about the Avs like he knew what was going on. Yeah he was a negative nancy 99% of the time which got super annoying, but at least he had a feel for what was going on in the organization.

Could you imagine if Chambers got hired to be a beat writer for like the Maple Leafs, he would have been laughed out of his position in about 5 minutes after posting his first article.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Once again, to anyone wanting Mike Richards: Stay far, far away. You really think the Kings would send him down to the AHL if they thought he was even somewhat useful on even the 4th line? It didn't exactly help them cap wise to send him down. He's finished. He was warned in the summer of 2014 by Lombardi that if he didn't get back in shape and work hard, there would be consequences. Well Mike Richards clearly said "**** that, I don't care" and decided to do the exact opposite. That kind of player is a cancer both on and off the ice. Keep him far, far away from this team.

I don't care if it is for the bare minimum NHL salary, I'd still say no. Literally 95% of the forwards in UFA are better than Richards.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
That's awesome!! I hope he tears him up.

It's just annoying that there is only one paper in town, and one beat writer for the team, and he doesn't have a clue whats going on. So he just writes about DU and what players might be coming there and how the Avs should take some guy that is coming to DU in the fall etc.

I feel like we as fans deserve something better in regard to covering a major sport team in the state. I'm not a Dater fan either but at least he was competent and wrote stuff about the Avs like he knew what was going on. Yeah he was a negative nancy 99% of the time which got super annoying, but at least he had a feel for what was going on in the organization.

Could you imagine if Chambers got hired to be a beat writer for like the Maple Leafs, he would have been laughed out of his position in about 5 minutes after posting his first article.

Yeah, kinda blows my mind that the Post doesn't realize how poorly he's representing them. They're either inept or just plain don't care about their hockey coverage. Not sure which is worse.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Looking at trade&rumours, It seems like every team wants to sign Sekera. Ughhhh... It's gonna be ugly. Roykic better make good sales speech!!

It sucks that there are so few options at UFA-pool, It seems like all the good players (other than ROR **** off..)re-signed with their current teams. Sucks for us, especially this season seems to be really weak, BUT If you look at last season you can find some good signings from top players like Stralman etc. We just need to find the right players to sign..

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I'd like to find a good defensive winger (or possibly center) with some skill for the 3rd line to help Grig and Everberg (assuming thats how the lines turn out). Pie in the sky possibility there would be Eriksson. Who knows what else Boston will do.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I'd like to find a good defensive winger (or possibly center) with some skill for the 3rd line to help Grig and Everberg (assuming thats how the lines turn out). Pie in the sky possibility there would be Eriksson. Who knows what else Boston will do.

If you look at 3rd line, I would like to add player who can also put up some points. Now our third line looks like It can only try to hold 0-0, not put up any points. Let's hope Everberg improves and Grigorenko makes miracle improvement and plays in top-6 leaving one current top-6 player to play in third line(Tanguay for example). That would make things way better!

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
Hell, people still say St. Louis and Washington won our previous trades with them. I will gladly take EJ and Varly.

St. Louis was a win-win, they have pie and we have Barrie

Not sure how you can claim the caps won the varly trade though

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Not sure how you can claim the caps won the varly trade though

Forsberg had a great rookie season that was covered by the national media. Then the East coast media looked at stats and told fans that don't watch the Avs that Colorado's goaltending is shaky.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Why not Ribeiro for 3 m for 3 years. He can secure the third line and sometimes helping the second line or on the powerplay

Honestly if we're playing Mackinnon on the wing I would really like Ribeiro to be our 2c between Landy and Mack with Soderberg moving down. I want Mackinnon starting the season at centre more than anything though.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think PW46 will be an Av soon. Ottawa just signed Wideman and they want to create room for him.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Let's say we're actually able to sign Sekera or something like that.

If we can add one more free agent after that, would you guys prefer another defenseman like Hejda or a bottom 6 forward? Either one would probably be in the $3m AAV range.

#1 - By adding a "Hejda":

Landeskog - Soderberg - MacKinnon
Grigorenko - Duchene - Iginla
Tanguay - Mitchell - Rantanen/Everberg
McLeod - Winchester - Everberg/Bordeleau
(Cliche)

Sekera - Johnson
Hejda - Barrie
Zadorov - Stuart
(Holden/Redmond/Guenin)

*will need to stuff a D or two down in San Antonio

...or...

#2 - By adding a "Fehr":

Landeskog - Soderberg - MacKinnon
Grigorenko - Duchene - Iginla
Tanguay - Fehr - Rantanen/Everberg
McLeod - Mitchell - Everberg/Bordeleau
(Winchester/Cliche)

Sekera - Johnson
Stuart - Barrie
Zadorov - Holden
(Redmond/Guenin)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Don't both Hishon and Grigorenko have to go through waivers if they don't make the team? So they will count against the cap or be claimed by another team

Hishon won't be claimed if he is waived. Grigs probably would, but the plan is obviously to have him in the NHL next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad