Patriots/NFL Off Season 2019 - Rob Gronkowski announces retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Seriously though, six ****ing Super Bowl titles.

My brain still can't process it.

It's just...amazing. I was 14 when they won the first one. I would've never thought in a million years we'd be sitting here 17 years later with SIX Super Bowls, along with FOUR World Series, a Stanley Cup, and an NBA Title.

My dad used to tell me about the Bruins winning a Cup in 72 and the Celtics in 86... And he didn't think he'd ever see any other titles.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Seriously though, six ****ing Super Bowl titles.

My brain still can't process it.

If you told me when I was 16 back in 1990 that someday the Patriots would win six Super Bowls and be THE dominant team in the NFL for two straight decades, I would have collapsed from shock.

We’ve come a long way from “Loserville.”

08SeaBass08

Maybe next year.
Jul 8, 2010
Funkytown, Boogie Wonderland
If you told me when I was 16 back in 1990 that someday the Patriots would win six Super Bowls and be THE dominant team in the NFL for two straight decades, I would have collapsed from shock.

We’ve come a long way from “Loserville.”
When I became a season ticket holder in 1998, I thought "this team with Bledsoe might just make it to another Super Bowl. Maybe even win one."

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Amendola on the Jets would be so lame
I agree, but from what I remember, money aside, one of the biggest reasons he chose MIA was because of Gase.

NYJ desperately need a culture change with a young QB. Amendola checks off a lot of boxes.

Veteran, dependable WR? Check.
Proven winner? Check.
Good locker room guy? Check.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Especially with the clowns like Robbie Anderson that they have at WR currently.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I agree, but from what I remember, money aside, one of the biggest reasons he chose MIA was because of Gase.

NYJ desperately need a culture change with a young QB. Amendola checks off a lot of boxes.

Veteran, dependable WR? Check.
Proven winner? Check.
Good locker room guy? Check.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Especially with the clowns like Robbie Anderson that they have at WR currently.

I mean that’s totally true but how did that culture change work out in Miami? Seems so weird to follow around and be dead set on joining a completely unproven coach. But at his age it does make sense. I don’t even necessarily want him back unless they dumped Hogan.

CharaBadSenyshynGawd

Jun 18, 2017
It's just...amazing. I was 14 when they won the first one. I would've never thought in a million years we'd be sitting here 17 years later with SIX Super Bowls, along with FOUR World Series, a Stanley Cup, and an NBA Title.

My dad used to tell me about the Bruins winning a Cup in 72 and the Celtics in 86... And he didn't think he'd ever see any other titles.
The early Pats dynasty really set the tone I felt like. If Tom never comes in I doubt we have this avalanche of titles that follow. Them winning gave all the other teams a kick in the ass.

Had a team gone without a title during this era they would have been an absolute joke in this city.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I mean that’s totally true but how did that culture change work out in Miami? Seems so weird to follow around and be dead set on joining a completely unproven coach. But at his age it does make sense. I don’t even necessarily want him back unless they dumped Hogan.
Miami has way more issues than the coach.

Do I think Gase is some great coach? No, not really. But he took a mediocre team in 16 and got them to 10-6 with a playoff spot. Took a step back last year, and probably overachieved this season to begin the year before leveling off. They fired him after year 3, because Ross is a garbage owner who doesn't understand his team.

I'm sure they'll move on from Hogan. He's a UFA I believe, and I've got to think Bill saw how poor he was during the year and then that miserable performance in the Super Bowl probably sealed the deal. Wouldn't mind Amendola back on a 1 year deal, but honestly, I think that ship has sailed.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Something I've been meaning to post about that I personally find remarkable about this whole run, is the sheer amount of coaches they've ended up losing to other teams during this whole run, and really not missing a beat.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Something I've been meaning to post about that I personally find remarkable about this whole run, is the sheer amount of coaches they've ended up losing to other teams during this whole run, and really not missing a beat.
They adjusted after losing Weis, Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels (for the first time), O'Brien, Patricia, and now Flores.

Only exception was the year that Scarnecchia retired and the line got eaten alive by Denver.

Reactions: sarge88

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They adjusted after losing Weis, Crennel, Mangini, McDaniels (for the first time), O'Brien, Patricia, and now Flores.

Only exception was the year that Scarnecchia retired and the line got eaten alive by Denver.
I think part of that was due to personell, but yeah Scar is by far their most important coach not named Belichick

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Want Patterson back over Hogan.

I Think/Hope when it comes to WRs they keep Patterson and let Hogan and Dorsett walk. Havent seen that much of Dorsett to keep or not keep. Would like if they could somehow hold on to Gordon's rights somehow.

I know Shelton and Brown are gone. Gotta think DL/NT/DT is on the draft radar. T Brown is probably gone too.

But we all know when it comes to the draft the Pats are an enigma

Reactions: CDJ

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jamison Crowder or Adam Humphries would be good additions at receiver imo

Bring back Patterson though, I like what they did with him this year. Very useful player

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Dolphins to release Amendola. Wonder if he feels like leaving was worth it.

Bet he comes back
Agree
When coach Belichick was asked about previous wide receivers on the team he said to interviewer don’t forget Amendola
He knows his value
Amendola in Hogan out

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Just caught end of 2nd Pats-Giants SB on NFL Network. Wanted to see Welker drop again. Giants only had one timeout left and there was about 4 minutes left. I couldn't remember if pass went off his fingertips. Not even. Right in both hands. Edelman would have caught it and then maybe you kill the game.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Just caught end of 2nd Pats-Giants SB on NFL Network. Wanted to see Welker drop again. Giants only had one timeout left and there was about 4 minutes left. I couldn't remember if pass went off his fingertips. Not even. Right in both hands. Edelman would have caught it and then maybe you kill the game.
It was a high throw, but Welker still makes that catch 99 out of 100 times.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
It took me a long, long time to forgive Welker. Only in the last year or two when he started showing up in the crowd and at team stuff and seems like a cool dude.

But after dropping that pass, dropping the pass in the AFCCG against Baltimore a year later, and going to Denver and injuring Talib on a pick play in the following year's AFCCG, if you're overconfident about the 2012 & 13 teams you could make the argument that he cost us three superbowls.

Personally I think that the 2013 team had a long way to go to beat Denver that day (though having Talib healthy makes it a lot closer) and would've had a tough time against the Seahawks even if they won. The 2012 game changed 180 degrees on that drop, but there was still a half to play and things seemed to be trending in the Ravens' direction. But if he catches that and the Pats cash in on the drive, it's 20-7 in the third. There's still a lot of ifs and buts along the way, but I'll say there's a decent chance the Pats win if he caught that (and I think we beat the 49ers too). 2011 Superbowl, no question that he cost us that game. That's a catch an all-pro wide receiver absolutely has to make, and if he pulls it in, that game is pretty much over. So he cost us one, and maybe two superbowls. Probably not a third, but helped prevent us from putting up a better fight in that game.

Because of that, it's only been recently that I can admit that Wes seems like a decent dude and that I can look back at his 2007-2011 contributions with some degree of fondness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad