Value of: of (COL) Erik Johnson (3 years left, 6 Mil AAV)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I doubt anyone will trade for him. I suspect Sakic will ask him to waive for Seattle (they won't pick him up) to protect another defender and then EJ will play out his contract with Avs as a Seabrook-type declining veteran.

Anders Cain

Formerly JordoMack
Jul 7, 2018
Nova Scotia
I doubt anyone will trade for him. I suspect Sakic will ask him to waive for Seattle (they won't pick him up) to protect another defender and then EJ will play out his contract with Avs as a Seabrook-type declining veteran.
Im ok with this scenerio as long as he agreed to waive. I like ejs personality and dedication but hope we can protect an extra player

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
The leafs might look at him (assuming you’re mostly looking for picks) but then we would have to expose Dermott who I think would be guaranteed to be selected

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He does have a limited no trade clause and not sure what teams are on it. But hypothetically we will pretend anyone can trade for him.

Avalanche can retain 2 million of the contract so roughly 33%

What's the best offer?
4TH RD pick if your lucky

Weast

May 16, 2011
He means more to the avs in and out of the locker room. Don't think they would get much if they tried to move him.
Agreed, plus he trudged through the shitty years here as the Avs #1 defenceman without making a fuss, it would be very un-Sakic like to dump him now that the team is finally getting good.
He'll be a bottom pair vet/leadership guy for the remainder of his deal

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I think the AVs keep him.

Can't see much value and he plays a huge leadership role on the team. He also stayed during his prime years with a terrible team. Trading him when they're rising does seem to be like Sakic.

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
I think the AVs keep him.

Can't see much value and he plays a huge leadership role on the team. He also stayed during his prime years with a terrible team. Trading him when they're rising does seem to be like Sakic.

Yeah, agreed. People saying he won't be heartless like that don't quite understand how competitive Sakic is. I'm not saying he'd sell out his own mother but Sakic will have zero qualms trading anybody if he believes it will help him accomplish his goals.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
He's playing well lately. It's obvious he needs to handle the puck to make an impact and to feel engaged. Still a top 4 D on a contender, so there is no need for Sakic to move him. Zadorov will be the odd man out.

Reactions: Brett44

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
He's playing well lately. It's obvious he needs to handle the puck to make an impact and to feel engaged. Still a top 4 D on a contender, so there is no need for Sakic to move him. Zadorov will be the odd man out.

If only Zadorov could play consistently like he did earlier in the year during that short stretch.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If only Zadorov could play consistently like he did earlier in the year during that short stretch.

Z will be moved regardless.

He’ll never outplay Girard and Byram being a super prospect cements the Top 2 lines. Cheap 3rd liner is the option, but Graves (playing 1D) is likely getting that role.

He could move to RD. Makar & EJ are staying. This leaves an opportunity if Timmins is not ready. With so many player injuries including Makar & EJ, he still couldn’t fill that role.

Zadorov is gone. There is no future for him in this team.

Reactions: Mac Attack

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't follow the Avs, so I'm statwatching here. Looks like he played 23-25 minutes frequently early in the season, but is getting a lighter workload since.

Is he just overworked, or is his game slipping? Because Toronto would absolutely take a look at a big right handed defenceman. Especially if he can handle 20+ minutes for the next 3 seasons. Do Avs fans think Johnsson can do that?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I don't follow the Avs, so I'm statwatching here. Looks like he played 23-25 minutes frequently early in the season, but is getting a lighter workload since.

Is he just overworked, or is his game slipping? Because Toronto would absolutely take a look at a big right handed defenceman. Especially if he can handle 20+ minutes for the next 3 seasons. Do Avs fans think Johnsson can do that?

Toronto has 0 interest. Given the cap implications, even with retention, this would be their "big move" to fix the defense and he is not going to do that. He is declining and his best years are behind him. Leafs need exactly 0 more defense who play the best with the puck on their stick.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

EJ is getting older and injury prone. Excellent leader that would help the Leafs, but not at the $6M per. I believe he can play about 20 mins a night. Good 2nd or solid 3rd line role. Would be an excellent mentor to the young Leafs.

Doubt the young AVs move him, but a retention would be needed to fit under the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad