of Brown,Mercenaries and today's NHL'er

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Brown is like our third most overpaid player behind Marleau and Zaitsev.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think it's just a Toronto thing. If I was a Tampa fan, I'd be proud of all my guys taking under market value. Ditto for Boston. This team has really low character and pride. It is what it is.

The only Tampa players that take less are the ones that get tax free signing bonuses. They don’t make less money.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Finally I have found people who like Connor Brown...the amount of B!tching about the guy on these boards made me assume there was more hate than I thought apparently...I am a fan of Connor Brown personally (are there many times a game he makes me cringe...absolutely yes but he is solid...) I probably should have made it clear I personally am a fan of the guy
As am I. I like what he brings to the game every night. Most on here want only skill even if they are afraid of their shadow.

Reactions: bax

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Brown is like our third most overpaid player behind Marleau and Zaitsev.
Hardly...Nylander tops the list. Or at worse second. He is getting over 10m this year. For 3m in production.
Horton is next. Then Kessel.

Marleau would be next. Zaitsev is arguably behind him. Then Brown perhaps but I like his game at his cap hit. His contract will be easy to move in a hockey trade.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nothing wrong with Brown at all. The issue is even if he were to take a pay cut, it wouldn't affect next year's cap (crunch) situation. Unless there's a blockbuster brewing or a contract impasse, something probably has to give, and change, at RW.

Owners are always going to be the starting point of a team. Seattle exists. They have ownership, but currently have no players. Players are obviously then essential as well to what helps get/keep a team thriving. The cap is the main thing though, especially if you're a fan of a team that spends to its ceiling.

My issue with Brown is he's just not as athletic and capable as you'd like. He seems pretty maxed out in terms of his talent level every time he's on the ice and when you watch those heavy weight bouts between Boston and Tampa or Washington or Nashville and Winnipeg, you'll notice a ton of very athletic middle six forwards who can skate hard, give and take hits, make quick crisp plays under pressure. Basically Kasperi Kapanen. Brown just can't handle it.

Reactions: Buds17

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In terms of our stars being mercenaries, I don't agree, but they are a little younger and do carry that millennial swagger, which is annoying and immature at times.

Given that Matthews, Marner and Nylander all came in and just basically inherited the room, they really didn't have a previous generation of excellent Leafs to learn to be Leafs from. Would have been great if there was some Gary Roberts, Mats Sundin, etc. to learn from and not fake imported veterans like Marleau, Boyle, Hunwick, etc. That said, I also think they have a bit of a target on their back. If I were a Boston Bruin, I'd love to be laying a beating on Toronto.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Ill take Moore and Petan over Brown any day. Brown taking a paycut means nothing he hurts the team we'd be better with 11 forwards.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
it was a random amount guessing at AVG salary in the league (I am probably on the low end) but I hear you...the more I talk it out the more I am realizing it's not so much the amount they make as much as a willingness to bend my favorite team over in pursuit of the almighty dollar thus handicapping the team in the future (mind you Dubas has a part to play in it as well)

thanks for the help in talking it through even though I can on occasion not make much sense lol
I don't quite agree with you all the way but man, your honest intention to discuss things and hear what other people has to say is refreshing. This place can sometimes turn into people in their foxholes sniping at the other side.

Reactions: LeafSteel

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Lay off our guys Lets see how the playoffs go... Lay off. In 1967 everyone in toronto hated the Leafs..

Thought they were a joke. .. A total joke. A team with 10 amazing playerss

Gotta tell you guys go to your tv's or laptops and watch us beat the BRUINS>..

Until then, find a nice woman....

Reactions: Jeypic

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Go back and see who we had in 1967.... Serious hellya players...Serious... Like we do now.

These games now mean nothing.... Heroes will be made soon and watch what you say.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I don't quite agree with you all the way but man, your honest intention to discuss things and hear what other people has to say is refreshing. This place can sometimes turn into people in their foxholes sniping at the other side.

Yeah, I discovered this site about a week ago and outside of immediate family I am surrounded by Habs fans, Lightning Fans and Bruins fans so I don't have many people to actually talk Toronto hockey with...and nobody agrees on everything but the more opinions you hear the more rounded your arguments become as far as I am concerned, I am not a hockey god, and there is a lot I don't know or maybe misunderstand or even just flat disagree with...doesn't mean common sense and conversation can't help round me out lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad