of Brown,Mercenaries and today's NHL'er

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Hey guys, so I just finished having a similar conversation with someone on this board and I figured I would make a thread and get your opinions.

Connor Brown- Massively irritating from a fan's perspective but the guy is proud to play for the Leafs and truly wants to be here, wouldn't surprise me to see him take a pay cut in order to keep this as his reality...He is a team guy who truly values playing in Toronto and I feel like more guys with a similar disposition should be focused on by management (yes I realize the high skill guys are mercenaries and their skill allows them to do so, but a team of guys as committed to the Blue an White as Connor Brown is would massively help the lack of pride this current leafs group has

Mercenaries- I miss the olden days NHL'er, the guys who truly wanted to be in the City they played in (ALA Ryan Smith being moved from Edmonton) those guys had pride and it wasn't about the almighty dollar, they valued cups and playoff runs not how many 0's appeared on their paychecks

Today's NHL'er- Money, Money, Money. it's disgusting to me how that is the be all and end all...no thought of the fans (who pay for their paychecks through their purchases etc) it's all about me, ME, MEEEEEE and while I understand they want to make as much as they can before they are forced out of the game for one reason or another, it also stands to reason that they really don't need as much as they get and it's making them entitled, I love my Leafs but damn son you play a game and make more money than most surgeons make in a lifetime...

All in all I am just frustrated by the state of today's NHL (and yes I believe the owners should be making a ton of money assuming a certain percentage is put back into the team...they take the risk in terms of attendance, building leases, etc) god I feel for senators fans (F U Melnyk)

ok rant done

Reactions: Dough72

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Hey guys, so I just finished having a similar conversation with someone on this board and I figured I would make a thread and get your opinions.

Connor Brown- Massively irritating from a fan's perspective but the guy is proud to play for the Leafs and truly wants to be here, wouldn't surprise me to see him take a pay cut in order to keep this as his reality...He is a team guy who truly values playing in Toronto and I feel like more guys with a similar disposition should be focused on by management (yes I realize the high skill guys are mercenaries and their skill allows them to do so, but a team of guys as committed to the Blue an White as Connor Brown is would massively help the lack of pride this current leafs group has

Mercenaries- I miss the olden days NHL'er, the guys who truly wanted to be in the City they played in (ALA Ryan Smith being moved from Edmonton) those guys had pride and it wasn't about the almighty dollar, they valued cups and playoff runs not how many 0's appeared on their paychecks

Today's NHL'er- Money, Money, Money. it's disgusting to me how that is the be all and end all...no thought of the fans (who pay for their paychecks through their purchases etc) it's all about me, ME, MEEEEEE and while I understand they want to make as much as they can before they are forced out of the game for one reason or another, it also stands to reason that they really don't need as much as they get and it's making them entitled, I love my Leafs but damn son you play a game and make more money than most surgeons make in a lifetime...

All in all I am just frustrated by the state of today's NHL (and yes I believe the owners should be making a ton of money assuming a certain percentage is put back into the team...they take the risk in terms of attendance, building leases, etc) god I feel for senators fans (F U Melnyk)

ok rant done

It's all business on both sides of the aisle.

Why should players take less when owners are absolutely raking money. This is pro sports, teams will use you up and spit you out as soon as you are no longer useful. Get yours while you can.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Brown doesn’t irritate me

I like money and want players to be compensated handsomely.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
It's all business on both sides of the aisle.

Why should players take less when owners are absolutely raking money. This is pro sports, teams will use you up and spit you out as soon as you are no longer useful. Get yours while you can.

I hear you...but we can't complain about a lack of pride if we are going to ok mercantilism ( I think that's the word I am looking for)

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I think it's just a Toronto thing. If I was a Tampa fan, I'd be proud of all my guys taking under market value. Ditto for Boston. This team has really low character and pride. It is what it is.

I like this socko. You're right, that's what it looks and feels like. Guys out for the money and once the money was dished, everyone wanted more.

This teams internal cap got broken by Dubas. Dudes a flake

Reactions: socko

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think it's just a Toronto thing. If I was a Tampa fan, I'd be proud of all my guys taking under market value. Ditto for Boston. This team has really low character and pride. It is what it is.

Canadians don’t like athletes making money. It’s the damndest thing and I don’t understand why. People are not the same, some are smart, some can run, others can’t. Accept it, and use your God given gifts to do what you need to do.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Canadians don’t like athletes making money. It’s the damndest thing and I don’t understand why. People are not the same, some are smart, some can run, others can’t. Accept it, and use your God given gifts to do what you need to do.

I don't think Canadians have an issue with Athletes making money...I think we have an issue with Athletes making god-awful money lol

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm the poster you were conversing with.
Are you suggesting Kadri should take a pay cut, because it is not going to happen, these players are signed to contracts, that ensure they get the monies they agreed to and whether they play here, or go elsewhere, they will get the money they contracted to sign for.
By the way that irritating player Connor Brown was the player that fed Kadri for the goal in last nights game.

Reactions: Jared Henderson

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I'm the poster you were conversing with.
Are you suggesting Kadri should take a pay cut, because it is not going to happen, these players are signed to contracts, that ensure they get the monies they agreed to and whether they play here or go elsewhere, they will get the money they contracted to sign for.
By the way that irritating player Connor Brown was the player that fed Kadri for the goal in last nights game.

Finally I have found people who like Connor Brown...the amount of B!tching about the guy on these boards made me assume there was more hate than I thought apparently...I am a fan of Connor Brown personally (are there many times a game he makes me cringe...absolutely yes but he is solid...) I probably should have made it clear I personally am a fan of the guy

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Well it's a good think I'm American than....

It's not just the overpays that has irritated me. It's the holdout, showing up after the holdout out of shape, taking nights off, inconsistent effort, lack of defensive effort, lack of physical play, lack of compete, booing of one of the teams longest tenured players who has been nothing but professional. This team leaves you wanting.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Why is it awful? That’s what I’m talking about. If you were given their gifts you would want to be paid.

we just have different opinions of what "paid" looks like lol
I have no issue with 1-5 million a year ( I think it's grossly overpaid for a game on a personal level but the market dictates what it dictates) I do think 6 and up is a disgusting amount of money though lol

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Well we tax the hell out of people so we can afford social programs for groups as small as 300 people. Ontario has over 300b debt alone. Blame the cronies and beaurocracy that's been created in Canada. We have an extremely corrupt system and next to nobody in Canada pays attention. Gotta fix the big issues before we fix the athlete tax issues. As it stands if Canada spends 100b you get maybe 30b of productivity and the rest gets awarded to friends and friends of friends who inflate bids etc.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

It's not just the overpays that has irritated me. It's the holdout, showing up after the holdout out of shape, taking nights off, inconsistent effort, lack of defensive effort, lack of physical play, lack of compete, booing of one of the teams longest tenured players who has been nothing but professional. This team leaves you wanting.

I’m American, as well.
Oh yes, Management cap stewardship leaves a lot to be desired, as does the players effort and production.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

I feel like you're referring to a couple very specific people lol :P

Reactions: socko

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nothing wrong with Brown at all. The issue is even if he were to take a pay cut, it wouldn't affect next year's cap (crunch) situation. Unless there's a blockbuster brewing or a contract impasse, something probably has to give, and change, at RW.

Owners are always going to be the starting point of a team. Seattle exists. They have ownership, but currently have no players. Players are obviously then essential as well to what helps get/keep a team thriving. The cap is the main thing though, especially if you're a fan of a team that spends to its ceiling.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
we just have different opinions of what "paid" looks like lol
I have no issue with 1-5 million a year ( I think it's grossly overpaid for a game on a personal level but the market dictates what it dictates) I do think 6 and up is a disgusting amount of money though lol

1-5 million is rather arbitrary. Each team pays up to 80 million in salary and I don’t care who gets what. It’s not my decision.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well we tax the hell out of people so we can afford social programs for groups as small as 300 people. Ontario has over 300b debt alone. Blame the cronies and beaurocracy that's been created in Canada. We have an extremely corrupt system and next to nobody in Canada pays attention. Gotta fix the big issues before we fix the athlete tax issues. As it stands if Canada spends 100b you get maybe 30b of productivity and the rest gets awarded to friends and friends of friends who inflate bids etc.

OT ....but any country with a Government, elected or not, has a corrupt Government.

Reactions: kb

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
1-5 million is rather arbitrary. Each team pays up to 80 million in salary and I don’t care who gets what. It’s not my decision.

it was a random amount guessing at AVG salary in the league (I am probably on the low end) but I hear you...the more I talk it out the more I am realizing it's not so much the amount they make as much as a willingness to bend my favorite team over in pursuit of the almighty dollar thus handicapping the team in the future (mind you Dubas has a part to play in it as well)

thanks for the help in talking it through even though I can on occasion not make much sense lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad