Proposal: OEL to EDM for Nurse+1st

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
You’ve got to take Russell with you in order for this to be considered. If you take Russell then I can see this being a better deal and likely for Edmonton to say yes.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You’ve got to take Russell with you in order for this to be considered. If you take Russell then I can see this being a better deal and likely for Edmonton to say yes.
Given his base-salary is $1.5m in actual dollars next season, I think that might be worth exploring.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Given his base-salary is $1.5m in actual dollars next season, I think that might be worth exploring.

Yeah... I'm of the opinion that Nurse is a 35-40 point guy with physicality, skating and an ability to log 23 minutes a night. A killer to play against when you have the puck, and a killer defensively for his team without the puck. Nurse is going to sign for less than 7M, so the 2 years of his contract shouldn't be a huge concern.

I think OEL is better all around, less physical but at the tail end of his peak. His 30 points this year (only 66 games) doesn't concern me at all. And he's 29, so he's got some mileage left... but 8.25M when he's 35, 36, 37? For a guy who relies on skating? That's a big risk.

I think Nurse+Russel+3rd for OEL is pretty fair value.

Reactions: ElPrimeTime

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
For the OP, I’d say no as an Oilers fan. We’d be paying a lot for what OEL used to be, both in terms of cap space and assets. He isn’t what he used to be, but will be paid like it for far too long. I’d also be terrified to anger McDavid as he is tight with Nurse.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Yeah... I'm of the opinion that Nurse is a 35-40 point guy with physicality, skating and an ability to log 23 minutes a night. A killer to play against when you have the puck, and a killer defensively for his team without the puck. Nurse is going to sign for less than 7M, so the 2 years of his contract shouldn't be a huge concern.

I think OEL is better all around, less physical but at the tail end of his peak. His 30 points this year (only 66 games) doesn't concern me at all. And he's 29, so he's got some mileage left... but 8.25M when he's 35, 36, 37? For a guy who relies on skating? That's a big risk.

I think Nurse+Russel+3rd for OEL is pretty fair value.

I agree the 1st might be a little steep, but the 3rd seems like lower value. Perhaps we meet in the middle and try to find a future 2nd round pick instead.

Reactions: bucks_oil

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
No chance Edmonton trades for a guy with that contract who’s gonna be an anchor when they’re competing.
They might. I just doubt it would involve the pieces Arizona would want. We would need to move more cap than including just Chaisson, and I doubt Edmonton has any interest in moving Nurse right now. Salary wise, we would need to include Kris Russell at minimum, and that would be after we find the pieces Arizona actually wants that we would consider moving. We have to give to get, but I'm not interested in moving Nurse. And only slightly less interested in moving Klefbom. That doesn't leave much that Arizona would consider.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't know why Oiler fans seem so down on a deal like this. They've needed a top pairing defenseman pretty much since Pronger left. They have some strong LD prospects that are up and coming in the next couple years.

Klefbom-OEL
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bear

To me at least that looks better than what they're running now. Who cares about years 6-8 of OEL's deal? They need to start competing with McDavid and Draisaitl ASAP. Nurse is what he is, talented but flawed top 4. Don't see him suddenly making huge improvements in his hockey IQ.

Reactions: duckpuck

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Don't know why Oiler fans seem so down on a deal like this. They've needed a top pairing defenseman pretty much since Pronger left. They have some strong LD prospects that are up and coming in the next couple years.

Klefbom-OEL
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bear

To me at least that looks better than what they're running now. Who cares about years 6-8 of OEL's deal? They need to start competing with McDavid and Draisaitl ASAP.

I love OEL, always wanted him on the Oil. The 1st seems a bit much.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I love OEL, always wanted him on the Oil. The 1st seems a bit much.

If premier defenseman grew on trees you'd think the Oil would have found one by now. Got to give to get. Imagine that's non-negotiable for the Coyotes considering they traded theirs this year for a cpl months of Hall and lost their 2021 pick due to Chayka's idiocy.

Reactions: _Del_

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If premier defenseman grew on trees you'd think the Oil would have found one by now. Got to give to get. Imagine that's non-negotiable for the Coyotes considering they traded theirs this year for a cpl months of Hall and lost their 2021 pick due to Chayka's idiocy.

Not disagreeing with you on that part of premier defensemen, but an argument can be made that OEL is closer to exiting his prime years, while Nurse is entering it.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Why is there a first from the Oilers? Maybe considering age, and contracts it’s a fair one for one trade?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You guys are frigging crazy if you think AZ should be trading away OEL.

It'd be a tough fit for the Oilers moving forward though. RNH and Yamamoto will need new deals right away and Puljujarvi might be a guy who earns a raise pretty quickly. We've got quite a bit of inflation coming up and very little coming off of the books.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I don't watch Arizona too often. Like most of the people in AZ. LOL (kidding).

Has his play really fallen off that much?

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Klefbom-OEL
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bear

To me at least that looks better than what they're running now. Who cares about years 6-8 of OEL's deal? They need to start competing with McDavid and Draisaitl ASAP. Nurse is what he is, talented but flawed top 4. Don't see him suddenly making huge improvements in his hockey IQ.

Can't see OEL thriving on the right side.

That second pairing will never leave their zone.

Not caring about the future is how you got the decisions of Peter Chiarelli, no thanks to making moves without any foresight.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I feel Russell makes a lot of sense from the team's perspectives to be apart of this deal. I just don't think he's waiving to go to Arizona.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
My fellow Coyotes fans are going to be angry with me for suggesting it. They’ll think OEL should get more.

I’m guessing many Oilers fans will be equally cross. They’ll undervalue OEL.

I know that he was a force in this league under Dave Tippett. He was twice top 10 in Norris voting under Tippett (playing in the pacific time zone, for the least respected team in NHL history).

The Coyotes need a change. They’ve got no cap space, no draft picks, and no hope of competing. They have to move their veteran players and try again. This group isn’t going to do it. Might as well start with the best player and work back from there.
Sounds like fair deal.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I think OEL is better suited to another team.

Agreed. I like OEL more than most here seem to, but LHD is about the last thing the Oil need to spend assets on, especially when it's a high cap hit LHD. If Oil are moving assets, it's for a legitimate top 6 winger or 3C.

FightingIrish17

Jun 13, 2013
This would make sense for Edmonton if this was 2015. At 29, that term and cap hit should be an automatic no-go for the Oilers, who are tight on cap space and have bigger holes to fill. OEL has passed his prime - he still has good years left, no doubt, but Edmonton shouldn't touch that contract with a 10 foot pole.

And that's before even getting into the trade value. The gap between OEL (29) and Nurse (25) certainly isn't 5 extra years and ~3M more, never mind adding a 1st round pick. It would be far more efficient for Edmonton to just trade Nurse to fill needs (top 6 winger, 3C), and sign one of the 526191 quality free agent defenceman this off-season, who can be signed for much cheaper than usual due to a flat cap and a market surplus.

Darkwinter

Apr 4, 2010

Klefbom-OEL
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bear

OEL best days are behind him and why and the world would Edmonton want this kind of trade. The best Edmonton can do is just plug along this year coming up and hope for the best . The year after is when Edmonton see Holland in action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad