Proposal: OEL to EDM for Nurse+1st

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
My fellow Coyotes fans are going to be angry with me for suggesting it. They’ll think OEL should get more.

I’m guessing many Oilers fans will be equally cross. They’ll undervalue OEL.

I know that he was a force in this league under Dave Tippett. He was twice top 10 in Norris voting under Tippett (playing in the pacific time zone, for the least respected team in NHL history).

The Coyotes need a change. They’ve got no cap space, no draft picks, and no hope of competing. They have to move their veteran players and try again. This group isn’t going to do it. Might as well start with the best player and work back from there.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
My fellow Coyotes fans are going to be angry with me for suggesting it. They’ll think OEL should get more.

I know that he was a force in this league under Dave Tippett. He was twice top 10 in Norris voting under Tippett (playing in the pacific time zone, for the least respected team in NHL history).

The Coyotes need a change. They’ve got no cap space, no draft picks, and no hope of competing. They have to move their veteran players and try again. This group isn’t going to do it. Might as well start with the best player and work back from there.
Value seems okay, (as an outsider), but can Edmonton fit OEL under their cap?

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Nurse only has 2 years before UFA. Would he really want to re-sign when you say the coyotes have no cap space, picks, or chance of competing?

Maybe once the league forces you to hire chia nurse will want to hang out with his old boss again though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Nurse only has 2 years before UFA. Would he really want to re-sign when you say the coyotes have no cap space, picks, or chance of competing?

Maybe once the league forces you to hire chia nurse will want to hang out with his old boss again though.

He’d probably be happier in Montreal? A great team going places. Lol.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

I hope your GM has a better argument for him re-signing during negotiations. What happens if he finds out about the 29 teams that aren't Montreal or Arizona?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
giphy-downsized.gif

Reactions: Morrison and _Del_

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Okay. Very good. Good luck bud.

I have no clue why you are being so salty. How do you sell your team like this:

And expect a guy to re-sign for his prime years? I was literally just using the description you had in the OP.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
No chance. Not with that term. We can add Chiasson and Fischer to the deal, if you like. Has the same effect as 1m retention but in the short term. Otherwise, just bury someone for 900k if you please.
hmmm not sure Fischer would do it. I like the basis of this deal but would need just a little bit more coming back to actually make it worth it. we're taking on a big contract

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
No idea how it would fit into this deal cap wise but you know who would be an excellent fit to play "Dave Tippett Hockey"? Michael Grabner.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Too much money, no thanks. That contract looks awful moving forward.
Fully agreed. It is a bet : can OEL come back to his former level ? Maybe... But if not you spend 10 per cent of your cap on dead weight (or a second line offensive Dman who has trouble scoring and defending at the moment)

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I love OEL but I'm not sure I'm willing to take on that contract. 8.25M for 8 years is a lot of money for a guy who's best years are probably behind him.

Making that kind of money he would need to put up more than the 30 points he did this year. Darnell Nurse made 3.25 (5M less) and put up 33 points.

I'm not even sure the the Oilers would do this straight up, let alone add a 1st round pick.

Obviously I like OEL > Nurse but I'm not sure I like his contract more than Nurses.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I know some people knocked Nurse after the Chicago series but he's still a valuable player who plays a ton of 5 on 5 minutes and is a solid contributor.

Is OEL the better player? Yeah I think so.

Is the difference enough to justify the salary difference plus the risk of that type of long term deal? Maybe not really sure on that one but it's worth thinking about.

But once you throw in the 1st round pick it's an easy pass for me. OEL could be an upgrade but he's also not an ideal target for a position of need now or going forward.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I really don't see this making a ton of sense for Edmonton. OEL is definitely better, but he hasn't looked his best lately. And Edmonton kind of needs every bit of its cap space to make upgrades elsewhere on its roster. If the deal doesn't pan out, Edmonton is in a difficult position until/unless guys like Bouchard/Lavoie can give them depth in areas to make moves.

The **** does Montreal have to do with this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad