Proposal: OEL to EDM for Nurse+1st

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Without retention there would be no 1st rounder attached from EDM side.

That's my feeling on it. OEL is the better player, but that contract is ugly, and at the moment, it's not like his production is any better than Nurse's. I get that OEL isn't playing up to his potential, but I'm not super interest in paying a premium for unutilized potential when the guy is nearly 30.

No idea how it would fit into this deal cap wise but you know who would be an excellent fit to play "Dave Tippett Hockey"? Michael Grabner.

Having fun with this...

Nurse + AA + a non-bluechip asset.
for

OEL + Grabner

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Don't know why Oiler fans seem so down on a deal like this. They've needed a top pairing defenseman pretty much since Pronger left. They have some strong LD prospects that are up and coming in the next couple years.

Klefbom-OEL
Russell-Larsson
Jones-Bear

To me at least that looks better than what they're running now. Who cares about years 6-8 of OEL's deal? They need to start competing with McDavid and Draisaitl ASAP. Nurse is what he is, talented but flawed top 4. Don't see him suddenly making huge improvements in his hockey IQ.
Mostly because we are not convinced he’s any better than what we already have, and his contract will be an albatross sooner than later? It would be like us paying a big price for Brent Seabrook two years ago. While I don’t think OEL will decline like Seabrook has, it might not be pretty but it will be expensive.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Not that I don’t agree but we could buy him out after next season and still have our 1st this year. I’d be ok either way

I would keep the first if we can, but we also need to upgrade our blue line, so there is only so many ways to do that. It’s a shame we used the 2 2nds to get AA as it really hurts us now, as those picks would be useful to move out some money, so we can upgrade the blue line.

If there was an option where we could add that pick to Russel and get back a later first and a second I would do that. (Aka the Ottawa proposal).

There would then be 3 defenceman of value that we could choose to move to either create room for Petro or a player like OEL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad