Oduya

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
So Oduya played in the gold medal game, looking back on the trade how does everyone think we did? After looking at the earlier posts many wanted him gone.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
He's a decent defenseman, but I think we did fine. I like Eric Comrie and J.C. Lipon, which isn't exactly what we got for Oduya, but it's close enough.

Also, Oduya wasn't all that noticeable in the gold medal game.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I maintain the position I had on the first page of this thread.
Oduya is a solid d-man but will always be a victim of a bad first impression in Winnipeg.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
He's a decent defenseman, but I think we did fine. I like Eric Comrie and J.C. Lipon, which isn't exactly what we got for Oduya, but it's close enough.

Also, Oduya wasn't all that noticeable in the gold medal game.

Technically it was Lodge, Lipon and Kostalek for Oduya. Comrie was the compensatory pick for not signing Daultan Leveille. I'd still say we won the trade, but obviously we won't know for sure for a couple of years.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Technically it was Lodge, Lipon and Kostalek for Oduya. Comrie was the compensatory pick for not signing Daultan Leveille. I'd still say we won the trade, but obviously we won't know for sure for a couple of years.

I would take Lodge, Lipon and Kostalek any day for Oduya. I'm not a big fan of his defensive play. The Hawks seem to have found a role for him, but he's been fairly inconsistent there too at times.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Actually it was Lodge,Lipon,Kostalek and Poolman for Oduya. The 2nd round pick in 2013 was traded to Washington for a 3rd,4th and 5th round pick in 2013.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
So Oduya played in the gold medal game, looking back on the trade how does everyone think we did? After looking at the earlier posts many wanted him gone.

check post #14 of this thread. I wouldn't have given him away like Chevy did, but that seems to be a pattern for Chevy when it comes to D man. (think Hainsey walking for nothing)

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would take Lodge, Lipon and Kostalek any day for Oduya. I'm not a big fan of his defensive play. The Hawks seem to have found a role for him, but he's been fairly inconsistent there too at times.

That role is logging big minutes on their shutdown D pairing.

They don't exactly shelter Keith and Seabrook, but they do give Hammer and Oduya the toughest matchup.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
check post #14 of this thread. I wouldn't have given him away like Chevy did, but that seems to be a pattern for Chevy when it comes to D man. (think Hainsey walking for nothing)

I hate to open this can of worms again ;) but I dont think any team was offering anything for Hainsey. Lipon will almost certainly be an NHLer, and Lodge is a decent prospect...thats not exactly a giveaway.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Uh, Oduya was turning 31 and headed to UFA when Chevy traded him. A 2nd and a 3rd seems pretty good return.

Oduya did make some glaring turnovers occasionally, but his biggest problem was that an insanely high percentage of those turnovers ended up in the back of our net.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That role is logging big minutes on their shutdown D pairing.

They don't exactly shelter Keith and Seabrook, but they do give Hammer and Oduya the toughest matchup.

I think the shutdown element is all Hjallmarsson.......I'm sure you can find that on SI too ;)

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Uh, Oduya was turning 31 and headed to UFA when Chevy traded him. A 2nd and a 3rd seems pretty good return.

Oduya did make some glaring turnovers occasionally, but his biggest problem was that an insanely high percentage of those turnovers ended up in the back of our net.

sounds like Buff's problem

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I hate to open this can of worms again ;) but I dont think any team was offering anything for Hainsey. Lipon will almost certainly be an NHLer, and Lodge is a decent prospect...thats not exactly a giveaway.

I can live with what Chevy got for Oduya who was just playing OKAY when the Jets did trade him but to let a guy playing in a top 4 role for your team go and get nothing in return was a mistake on Chevy's part. I don't think many NHL GM's would have made that same mistake.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand

This. The Johnny Oduya trade meant more for our future than keeping him around for the rest of the season. I'm sure that Chevy had feelers in the water to gauge the likelihood of being able to re-sign people. Oduya had trade value, so he was used. I had no problems with the trade then, and I continue to have no problems with it.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think the shutdown element is all Hjallmarsson.......I'm sure you can find that on SI too ;)

Still is 50% of that pair.

A stronger guy can only carry a weaker guy so much...

My eyes + numbers tell me Hammer is the better player, but they also tell me both are good and Oduya makes Hammer better too (both in eyes and numbers).

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
He was a pending free agent that was set to walk.

The Jets were not a playoff team that year.

Any return was better than no return.

A 2nd and 3rd was a solid return.

His play since is irrelevant.

Each sentence smaller.

Right till the end.

Good bye.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
This. The Johnny Oduya trade meant more for our future than keeping him around for the rest of the season. I'm sure that Chevy had feelers in the water to gauge the likelihood of being able to re-sign people. Oduya had trade value, so he was used. I had no problems with the trade then, and I continue to have no problems with it.

I agree with this.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I was pretty happy with the trade at the time. I remember checking up on how he was doing after his first few games with Chicago and he had a terrible, classic "pizza" start. I felt REALLY good about the trade then.

He has done well since but I still think letting him go was the right decision.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The trade was and will be a win for this team. Oduya was a giveaway machine when he played here. We were able to obtain draft choices which will help us a lot down the road. We are still pretty deep at defense and had we kept him it would have created a larger logjam.

bazaaa*

I liked him, but he was just your average Dman. Any time you can get a decent return on a soon to be FA, you take it. It's a no brainer.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Guh. People acting like two teams can't win at a trade.

Look. If every franchise in the league was at the exact place as all of the others in terms of having the talent they want to push for a championship and all of their star players were in their prime, it would make sense to break down trades this way.

A trade between the 2012-13 Blackhawks and Jets is hardly this.

Chicago getting a decent D man in exchange for a 2 and a 3 when they are trying to win now means they win the trade.

Winnipeg getting a 2 and a 3 when they are trying to rebuild and need to load the hopper with picks and prospects means they win the trade.

You guys, this isn't rocket science! It's basic, rudimentary business.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The other factor is I dont think out team was ever good at breakouts until recently under the new coach. Oduya is the type of player that needs a well developed system instead of the Noel "as soon as we recover the puck explode north" system if you can call it that. He likely would've continued to struggle with the jets. He also likely wouldn't have stayed with us. It was essential to trade him, and like Chevy said trading oduya allowed us to pick up Setoguchi and frolik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad