Odds for Rookie of the Year

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Let's say McDavid ends up being a faster, higher scoring version of Crosby and Eichel ends up being a more physical, faster, grittier higher scoring version of Toews.

Being an avid college hockey watcher (mainly for Oilers interest, not the interest of the college game), I can tell you that Eichel's 2 way game and grittiness is vastly overrated. His skillset is outwordly but he's a pure skilled player, he's not going to dish out hits on the regular and he doesn't battle physically along the boards, at least not consistently. He also floats defensively, really needs to work on his play away from the puck IMO. I actually think McDavid is more polished with his 2 way play while Eichel is clearly more physically mature.

Where his strength lies is in his powerful stride and using his long reach to protect the puck plus his hockey sense is elite, up there with McDavid in that regard and has an excellent, accurate shot.
What's he's not is a physical force like Getzlaf and he's not a 2 way stud like Toews. He reminds me of Modano stylistically.
I'm sure that his 2 way game will improve because he's such a smart player but it's not there yet.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Seems like there should be a few names with potential to win it. How about a guy like Weal? Or is there any big name youngsters from Europe/Russia coming over?

Artemi Panarin will be a 24 year old rookie for the Blackhawks, he has developed into one of the best scorers in Russia the past few years.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
Since I don't think Eichel is as good as Ovechkin was, I think you can restate the question: what are the odds for and against McDavid suffering a serious, season shortening, injury?

I would have felt this way in any of the 88.5 out of 100 dark timelines we diverged from on April 18 too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We've suffered long enough Replacement my old friend.

Let's just sit back and enjoy the various awards (Calder, Richard, Nobel, Hart, Vezina, Stanley Cup, Pulitzer etc) this team is bound to rack up this season

Beach-hammock.jpg

Heh, I'm still worried McDavid, Hall, etal are in Toronto. I'm like, paranoid or something. :D

Being that leafsnation figures they should have these guys..

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Since I don't think Eichel is as good as Ovechkin was, I think you can restate the question: what are the odds for and against McDavid suffering a serious, season shortening, injury?

I would have felt this way in any of the 88.5 out of 100 dark timelines we diverged from on April 18 too.

This is even worse than the threadstart. Damn youse guys.:hit: :amazed::(:D

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Ehlers has an experienced team that will assist him to excel. I see him getting some respect as well entering the league.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
It's really between McDavid and Hall for the Conn Smythe if we're being honest here.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm surprised that Eichel isn't getting a bit more love. He's getting love, but I think he's the favourite. Homer bias? It'd be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
barring injury, McD is winning this. Just on odds alone, one of the Edmonton's 1st OAs has to have a season where things workout for the kid.

Both Hall and Nuge could have won the rookie award, if not for injuries. And Yak, well the season was short, but he looked better than the winner when it ended.

Its just time for it happen.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I'm surprised that Eichel isn't getting a bit more love. He's getting love, but I think he's the favourite. Homer bias? It'd be interesting to revisit this thread at the end of the season.

Saying McDavid is the favourite is anything but homer bias....

Though admittedly it is still too early to be talking about this.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton

Eichel definitely isn't the favorite anywhere outside of Buffalo.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

McDavid went #1 and was the consensus #1 pick. So just at face value why would Eichel be the favorite?

Why would predicting him to win ROY be a home bias?

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
I'm not saying that some people taking McDavid is homer bias, but when pretty much everyone is that's homer bias, in my opinion. I'd still take Eichel - stronger man. However, I think it's virtually a coin toss.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'm not saying that some people taking McDavid is homer bias, but when pretty much everyone is that's homer bias, in my opinion. I'd still take Eichel - stronger man. However, I think it's virtually a coin toss.

Well you took Eichel, so there you go, not every one took McDavid.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
We've suffered long enough Replacement my old friend.

Let's just sit back and enjoy the various awards (Calder, Richard, Nobel, Hart, Vezina, Stanley Cup, Pulitzer etc) this team is bound to rack up this season

Beach-hammock.jpg

Ummmmm..Usually you're a good poster Spawn, but c'mon.

You missed a few. The Masters, The Grey Cup, Wimbeldon, the Commissioners trophy.

You're slipping. Give McDavid a little credit here. :shakehead

:D

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Put a gun to someone's head and tell them to choose someone and if they lie they get killed. They will all say McDavid.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
The odds my betting website is giving me:

McDavid 2.25
Eichel 5.00
Bennett 8.00
Reinhart 8.50
Domi 10.00
Strome 17.00
Ehlers 17.00
Hanafin 21.00
Panarin 23.00

Tempting to put a bit of money on Eichel and/or Panarin. All it takes is an injury for McDavid.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I can see it now. McDavid scores 20 more points than Eichel but Eichel wins the Calder because he plays a more physical game,etc, etc

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Ummmmm..Usually you're a good poster Spawn, but c'mon.

You missed a few. The Masters, The Grey Cup, Wimbeldon, the Commissioners trophy.

You're slipping. Give McDavid a little credit here. :shakehead

:D

He is also going to win the Nobel Peace Prize, the entire world will be in awe of him every one will just stop fighting and become oiler fans. Oh what a world to behold.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Excluding any surprise player, McDavid/Eichel 50/50

Depends who gets the better opportunity on their team. Both of their coaches will have to decide how much prime offensive ice time their young star will get. If both get the same, I think it's 60/40 in McDavid's favour. I say 50/50 because I think it's more likely that Eichel gets the top offensive minutes sooner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad