Oct 4, 2007
Sure, sounds about right.

I'd maybe go something like:

McDavid 45%
Eichel 30%
Bennet 8%
Ehlers 7%
Rienhart 5%

After that it's a handful of random guys who might surprise. Joel Armia, Vasilevski perhaps. Some random guy like Jonnas Donskoi. Who knows.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Crosby never won it in his draft year.
Could also be some 24 year old breakout player. Who knows.

The last time we had a rookie lead scoring, he wasn't even nominated. The time before, Nuge played 20 less games and still lost.

McDavid would have to absolutely destroy the competition at a laughable rate.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It must be August.

Why oh why discuss something like this so prematurely, before TC has even started, and jinx it?

No Oiler has ever won. Lets not spoil this one.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
The new face of the NHL/Human highlight reel/player extrordanair - 97%

3% for the rest.

I agree with McShogun.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
It must be August.

Why oh why discuss something like this so prematurely, before TC has even started, and jinx it?

No Oiler has ever won. Lets not spoil this one.

LOL, so your superstitious. just a thread about rookies coming up. Just so happens we have a good one:)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think McDavid and Eichel have pretty split odds with no one else really having much of a shot.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Eichel 40%
McDavid 35%
Bennett 15%
Reinhart 5% (the other one)
others 5%

Eichel is more NHL ready.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Bigger. He's more physically ready.

The only thing he has on McDavid at this point is more size, strength, and a better shot. McDavid is better in every other category by a fair margin and I really doubt that McDavid will struggle due to physicality. Sure he might lose some puck battles when he gets boxed in, but he's far too smart, quick and elusive for it to hold him back. There are very few players in the league right now who have McDavid's combination of IQ, skating and hands (especially at top speed).

McDavid wins calder barring injury or ridiculous eastern media bias.

Just to put it in perspective, we heard the exact same thing with RNH with comparison to Landeskog, and RNH wasn't even close to as good as McDavid coming out of Junior. RNH was the best rookie that year regardless of who won the Calder, and he was a lot less physically ready than McDavid is. This is the first time in McDavid's life that he will be making the jump to the next level of hockey at the age he is supposed to, and I fully expect him to hit the ground running.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Bigger. He's more physically ready.

McDavid is 6'1, 195
Eichel is 6'2, 196

The difference in size between the two is negligible. Eichel is physically a stronger player right now no doubt. His combine results were damned impressive. But that can only make so much of a difference on the ice. Especially when McDavid is also extremely fit in his own right.

This isn't RNH we're talking about who was 6'1 and 170 pounds coming out of his draft.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Itd be incredible if Nurse had an Ekblad type rookie season

Is it possible to split the calder? :sarcasm:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Eichel is actually really underrated... likely by all fanbases but especially by HFOil because we have McDreamy to fawn over.

Remove McDavid from the picture for a moment and it's definitely the case that Eichel is the best prospect to come along since Crosby... better than Tavares/Stamkos/Kane/Hall etc.

What Eichel did in the NCAA at such a young age is remarkable and he arguably is a better all-around player than McDavid right now.

Obviously that's not a knock on McDavid as both are generational players... they are just different types of players and picking who will be the better player at the NHL level isn't clearcut.

Let's say McDavid ends up being a faster, higher scoring version of Crosby and Eichel ends up being a more physical, faster, grittier higher scoring version of Toews.

Which player would be more valuable to a team if those ceilings are reached? It's actually not a clear cut decision to say which is better than the other.

Both will start out playing on crappy teams but the Sabres should be "crappier" at least for the short term just based on looking at the current rosters... so that should give the edge to McDavid seeing as he'll have much better linemates to play with. Then again Eichel could quite quickly become "THE MAN" in Buffalo... getting premier minutes and maximum PP time whereas McDavid may have to share the load with several other offensively talented teammates.

It's probably pretty close to a 50-50 coin toss between the two for the Calder at this stage when all factors are considered.

Like others have said... another player could come out of left field and win it with an epic season... Ehlers/Reinhart etc... but my guess is McDavid/Eichel will be 1/2 in the running all season for the Calder just like they were for the #1 pick in the draft.

If I absolutely had to bet money on a player... I'd probably have to go with Eichel because he does play in the East and the majority of Eastern voters seem to favor players they see more often... plus the type of all-around dominating in your face game Eichel plays may give him the edge over McDavid just like Landeskog over RNH.

Should be a fun race to watch though... hopefully the Calder race isn't all Oiler fans can cheer for past December this season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think RIGHT NOW Eichel is probaly better suited for the NHL, as he played in NCAA and worlds. But that advantage will last for probaly about 5 NHL games before McDavid adjusts

McDavid is already playing against NHLers somewhat now (camp but still good comp) and will get a full TC against NHLers as well as 5 or so preseason games against NHLers. Thats plenty of time to adjust. By 5 games into the NHL season I expect him to be pretty much as adjusted as Eichel

However I will not discount the fact Eichel has a good shot at winning calder (OV vs Sid thing) and having a fair amount of seasons equal or better than McDavid. The gap is there but small

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Eichel is actually really underrated... likely by all fanbases but especially by HFOil because we have McDreamy to fawn over.

Remove McDavid from the picture for a moment and it's definitely the case that Eichel is the best prospect to come along since Crosby... better than Tavares/Stamkos/Kane/Hall etc.

What Eichel did in the NCAA at such a young age is remarkable and he arguably is a better all-around player than McDavid right now.

Obviously that's not a knock on McDavid as both are generational players... they are just different types of players and picking who will be the better player at the NHL level isn't clearcut.

Let's say McDavid ends up being a faster, higher scoring version of Crosby and Eichel ends up being a more physical, faster, grittier higher scoring version of Toews.

Which player would be more valuable to a team if those ceilings are reached? It's actually not a clear cut decision to say which is better than the other.

Both will start out playing on crappy teams but the Sabres should be "crappier" at least for the short term just based on looking at the current rosters... so that should give the edge to McDavid seeing as he'll have much better linemates to play with. Then again Eichel could quite quickly become "THE MAN" in Buffalo... getting premier minutes and maximum PP time whereas McDavid may have to share the load with several other offensively talented teammates.

It's probably pretty close to a 50-50 coin toss between the two for the Calder at this stage when all factors are considered.

Like others have said... another player could come out of left field and win it with an epic season... Ehlers/Reinhart etc... but my guess is McDavid/Eichel will be 1/2 in the running all season for the Calder just like they were for the #1 pick in the draft.

If I absolutely had to bet money on a player... I'd probably have to go with Eichel because he does play in the East and the majority of Eastern voters seem to favor players they see more often... plus the type of all-around dominating in your face game Eichel plays may give him the edge over McDavid just like Landeskog over RNH.

Should be a fun race to watch though... hopefully the Calder race isn't all Oiler fans can cheer for past December this season.

I think people are beaing pretty fair. Look at this thread, seems the average is McDavid 50% and Eichel at about 25%. That is giving Eichel a lot of respect really. He will be an unreal player, at the end of the day though every scout said McD was #1. There is not doubt at this moment, who knows what the future will bring, McDavid is a higher rated player. I think every one recognizes how good Eichel is though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Id say Mcdavid- 40%
Eichel- 30%
field-30%

The only way I could see another rookie challenge either one is if a member in field puts up a RNH/Mackinnon/Ekblad rookie season (over 82 games) and both Mcdavid/Eichel only play 75 games. So my 30% isnt the odds one will be better, its 30% Mcdavid doesnt play full year

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Eichel for the first 30 games will play better than McJesus because JE is simply more physically mature, has experience playing against bigger pros, and will get more prime minutes in a bottom Sabres team. The latter half McDavid will show why he was picked over Eichel.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
LOL, so your superstitious. just a thread about rookies coming up. Just so happens we have a good one:)

Superstition in hockey? Imagine that. Any goalie in the league would confer.

Its bad form to be counting trophies before the season starts.

Which can't happen fast enough.

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
Seems like there should be a few names with potential to win it. How about a guy like Weal? Or is there any big name youngsters from Europe/Russia coming over?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Superstition in hockey? Imagine that. Any goalie in the league would confer.

Its bad form to be counting trophies before the season starts.

Which can't happen fast enough.

We've suffered long enough Replacement my old friend.

Let's just sit back and enjoy the various awards (Calder, Richard, Nobel, Hart, Vezina, Stanley Cup, Pulitzer etc) this team is bound to rack up this season

Beach-hammock.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad