Line Combos: Odd men out for Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Obviously Mrazek will be. I want to know where people got the impression that Jurco is going to be sent down. Because according to the lines he'll be up. What did Krupa hear?

Yeah I have a hard time believing that Jurco will be sent down, Right now with Datsyuk out we have 13 forwards I can see Jurco being sent down once Datsyuk returns but as of right now we don't know when that will be.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Well, according to the lines XO is in the lineup too.

Ehhh. Kindl/Lashoff are still skating together and they're a regular pair. Plus I didn't see anything about gray jerseys for them. Meanwhile, Jurco is skating on his "regular" line with a regular jersey on as well. That makes it a bit weirder.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
He is probably right as he is indicating holland is unable to do is job properly

If we can't get any takers for Kindl, Which sounds like he can't. Then I don't know why Holland does'nt put him on waivers there still will be enough cap that we still can fit Ouellet okay. I still would rather have Ouellet as our number 6 Dman then Kindl any day Sometimes we have to wonder what Holland is doing to this team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ehhh. Kindl/Lashoff are still skating together and they're a regular pair. Plus I didn't see anything about gray jerseys for them. Meanwhile, Jurco is skating on his "regular" line with a regular jersey on as well. That makes it a bit weirder.

We're reading too much into things. Weiss is in grey but it's not like he's hitting waivers. At worst he'll be watching from the stands as a scratch, but even then, I doubt it. You don't shelf $5 million dollars without a chance to perform.

Speculation is fun, but we'll know for sure in a couple days what's up.

Jesusberg

Jul 25, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If we can bring Weiss's value up to the point where he has enough value to trade him, then why wouldn't we just keep him?

I just think they have too many bodies on the team, and Babcock is a stubborn guy. Forcing Helm or Weiss to the wing isn't the solution, IMO. I'm all for having depth, but it seems like in this instance, it's creating role confusion. Weiss was slotted with GR guys all preseason, while Helm was thrown on the top line's wing.

Babs just seems unwilling to give Weiss a break, but perhaps it's just me.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You're the only person who mentioned it in this thread. Am I missing something?

In the Jurco thread there was a tweet which suggested Jurco would be moved to Grand Rapids. But others have said they'd be shocked if such a thing happened.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If we can't get any takers for Kindl, Which sounds like he can't. Then I don't know why Holland does'nt put him on waivers there still will be enough cap that we still can fit Ouellet okay. I still would rather have Ouellet as our number 6 Dman then Kindl any day Sometimes we have to wonder what Holland is doing to this team.

if he cant get any takers for his decisions(his contract, his draft choice, his developed player) then acknowledge it was a mistake and buy him out and simply move on

their is nothing wrong with doing so

do not send better players to the minors simply because its easier in particular when it makes the lineup worse by doing so

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
if he cant get any takers for his decisions(his contract, his draft choice, his developed player) then acknowledge it was a mistake and buy him out and simply move on

their is nothing wrong with doing so

do not send better players to the minors simply because its easier in particular when it makes the lineup worse by doing so

I could'nt agree more, But unfortunately we're talking Ken Holland here and he does'nt admit to mistakes to often.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
We're reading too much into things. Weiss is in grey but it's not like he's hitting waivers. At worst he'll be watching from the stands as a scratch, but even then, I doubt it. You don't shelf $5 million dollars without a chance to perform.

Speculation is fun, but we'll know for sure in a couple days what's up.

Pretty much this. We already know that Pav isn't going to play.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They need to just make their decisions with Kindl and Cleary. If they don't have a place on the team, waive them. At this point, if anyone picks them up, so what? we're not losing anything overly special, we'd be losing a chunk of salary in either one, and more importantly gaining roster flexibility.

And not having Weiss in the top9 is just poor roster management. No reason for Helm to center that line over Weiss - especially when Helm hasn't exactly been in the lineup much the past few years or been especially healthy in this pre-season.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
The handling of Weiss has been mind boggling all preseason. Many of us noted "why is Weiss not playing with NHLers?" and we heard many suggested excuses that were (quite frankly) silly.

It's like he was never even given a chance to show he can play the role we signed him up for. Play him with real wingers and let's see what we actually have rather than playing freaking mind games with him.

I'm just really displeased with how the situation has been handled thus far.

I would show my approval of the Kid line still being together, 13 and 40 together, and Ouellet practicing like he's playing, but I'll first wait until 5pm tomorrow.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Anyone saying Weiss is tradeable right now is off their rocker. We aren't just talking about some injury prone guy who is overpaid; we're talking about a guy who is looking like a 4th liner right now. Teams will gladly take on overpaid players but they have to have value. What apparent value does Weiss have over the past two seasons? That of a 4th line center. And that menial value is essentially obliterated when you look at his injury history and salary.

On that note, it is absolutely asinine to sit him. He needs to get going and he needs confidence. We need to get him looking like a capable 3C at the very least if we want to trade him. And even then, it would require some salary retained. There is a massive difference between a center who scores at a 15 point pace and a center who scores at a 50 point pace. If we want to see him traded, then we need to get him scoring at least in that 35 point range, where he isn't of much use to us but could be of use to a weak team down the middle like the Oilers.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Anyone saying Weiss is tradeable right now is off their rocker. We aren't just talking about some injury prone guy who is overpaid; we're talking about a guy who is looking like a 4th liner right now. Teams will gladly take on overpaid players but they have to have value. What apparent value does Weiss have over the past two seasons? That of a 4th line center. And that menial value is essentially obliterated when you look at his injury history and salary.

On that note, it is absolutely asinine to sit him. He needs to get going and he needs confidence. We need to get him looking like a capable 3C at the very least if we want to trade him. And even then, it would require some salary retained. There is a massive difference between a center who scores at a 15 point pace and a center who scores at a 50 point pace. If we want to see him traded, then we need to get him scoring at least in that 35 point range, where he isn't of much use to us but could be of use to a weak team down the middle like the Oilers.

This is QUITE premature, but if Weiss doesn't work out this year, here's the buyout breakdown. It's not that bad assuming the cap bumps up a little.

2015-16: $1,066,667
2016-17: $1,066,667
2017-18: $2,566,667
2018-19: $1,666,667
2019-20: $1,666,667
2020-21: $1,666,667

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Kinda makes you wonder if this is the perception around the league in regards to Babcock not giving players a 2nd chance. There is no valid explanation as to why Weiss could be starting the season as a healthy scratch, yet he just might be. He was juggled between Center/Wing all pre-season, played the entire pre-season with AHL talent and is starting the seasons week of practice on the 5th line and in a grey jersey. Weiss could be a shoe in and a perfect fit for this team if he played like he did in Florida. Given that he's healthy, and given very little chance to show what he can do, makes me believe that other potential UFA's wont come here based on Babcocks doghouse destinations for players who don't deserve it. Just my $.02.. I see this as one of the biggest reasons why the Wings cant sign any top UFAs. Its not the organization, its Babcock.

Babs is a prove me wrong type of guy. He makes it fairly arduous to do so though, often times. It seems like you're forever a good guy in his book, ie Cleary, or forever not, Legwand. Weiss should be given every chance to succeed. The roster was already stacked to be against giving the best players the best chance to succeed, but clearly that was all hot air, otherwise Ouelett and Jurco would be regulars. So if you're going to be stuck in your set ways, at least give Weiss a genuine opportunity to succeed.

MO!

First Line Centre
Nov 12, 2006
Should be (when all lines are healthy):

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Franzen
Zetterberg-Weiss-Alfredsson (If he signs) Tatar if he doesn't
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller/Andersson/Cleary
Glendening/Mantha

Kronwall-Ericsson
DeKeyser-Smith
Quincey-Kindl
Lashoff

Howard
Gustavsson
Mrazek

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Just knew we wouldn't see Abdelkader on the bottom line to start the year. Preseason almost had me convinced, though. Still, with a healthy Datsyuk I actually like that line a bit. Not a fan at all of Helm at 2C; I would even prefer him at 1RW.

Z - D - Helm
Nyquist - Weiss - Franzen
Kids
Miller - Andy/Luke - Abby

Only subbing Weiss for one of the fourth liners and it's a substantial improvement imo. With Datsyuk out, I'm guessing we see Nyquist and Franzen with Zetterberg again... but who knows.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive
On D: Ouellet skating with Quincey, Kronwall-Ericsson, DeKeyser-Smith, Lashoff-Kindl. Howard and Gustavsson in net. Mrazek rotating in.

According to this, it's

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Smith
Quincey - Ouellet
and Lashoff/Kindl seems to me to be the odd pair out.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
one great potential scenario that could unfold is the wings once again be one of the worst managed teams in the league to start the season(if jurco and ouellete) are sent down, kindl and lashoff remain DRW and weiss starts the season in the press box in that they go out and get destroyed their first half dozen games thus forcing KH hands

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
According to this, it's

Kronwall - Ericsson
Dekeyser - Smith
Quincey - Ouellet
and Lashoff/Kindl seems to me to be the odd pair out.

So the Wings put Datsyuk on LTIR...And HSJ of all people has discussed the possibility of Cleary going on LTIR...So it IS possible that they decide to go with 8 defenseman to start the year. I doubt they would keep Ouellet up for long, but maybe they're actually considering giving him a chance and want to see if he can convincingly make one of Kindl or Lashoff expendable.

With this team, thats surely a pipe dream. But it is possible.

DatsyukianDeke*

The handling of Weiss has been mind boggling all preseason. Many of us noted "why is Weiss not playing with NHLers?" and we heard many suggested excuses that were (quite frankly) silly.

It's like he was never even given a chance to show he can play the role we signed him up for. Play him with real wingers and let's see what we actually have rather than playing freaking mind games with him.

I'm just really displeased with how the situation has been handled thus far.

I would show my approval of the Kid line still being together, 13 and 40 together, and Ouellet practicing like he's playing, but I'll first wait until 5pm tomorrow.

This is exactly why I don't really care if Babcock is to leave after this year. His decision making is ridiculous sometimes, and he's stubborn to a fault. Great coach but have to say I disagree with alot of his decisions the last couple of years.

He did the same thing last year in the playoffs, Legwand was playing well in the top 6, the playoffs started and he was all of a sudden centering the 4th line playing with bad players that didn't have a chance to score, and Abby got promoted to the top line (and did absolutely nothing like usual).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad