Post-Game Talk: October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
One could say the same thing about ignoring a very obvious trend that stretches across last season to the NJ series.

The problem is always going to be the same. It's #GroundhogHockeyDayinPhilly.

Flyers outshoot opponent. Other goalie provides better goaltending. Flyers can't defend, and lose.

Let's face facts. Bernier did nothing particularly special last night. He got lucky a couple times, but he really just had a good game. Mason was OK, but he just never made the save they needed him to make: on Bolland when Simmonds had him in the slot and let him go while Luke and Vinnie both played Lupul.

I am really discouraged. Someone had a great tweet last night, something like:

Same old Flyers. No identity. Not fast. Don't hit. Not offensive. Not defensive. No goaltending...

It's basically this: work hard, get PPs. IF we score, we win. If we don't we lose.

I congratulated my dad, the Leaf fan, on his team's inevitable victory after the first period. It's so friggin' predictable, it's pitiable.

El Emperor

Apr 2, 2010
Woodstown, NJ
My 2 cents...

From what I saw, Flyers could've easily won this any other night.

Flyers had very high quality chances around the net but failed to execute. I even remeber 3-4 empty net chances after a cross-crease pass but failed to connect. Add Simmonds' missed penalty shot to that.

To me, Flyers dominated the 1st half of the game. But Toronto completely shut it down once they got the lead.

P.S.: Beat the crap out of Scabs on Saturday, will ya?

This will be the trend throughout the year. NJ showed the other 28 teams how to beat the Flyers... just get a lead and sit on it. They can't (will not?) adjust.

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
how do you guys feel about TNT being the goal song? i like it better than doop but it's still pretty high on the cheesey meter. it's a bummer they'll never bring back bro hymn until homer signs richie and carter to 7 year 35+ contracts.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It sounded lame last night, but on the plus side I doubt we'll have to hear it that often.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It's basically this: work hard, get PPs. IF we score, we win. If we don't we lose.

That is obviously the gist of his system. Apply tons of pressure and energy and hopefully get PP's because even strength we have problems. If we don't get a lead we get discouraged..if it is not big enough we start sagging and playing with less jam because playing at high intensity like Lavi wants for a full 60 is taxing. If we fall behind, the wheels come off and we get down especially when the other teams crowd our still too few puck carriers (G, Jake, Timonen, Streit) and clog the neutral zone. Then Lavi pulls the mad scientist act and starts switching up lines, calling time out and screaming his face off....

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Ok guys, don't burn me at the stake here, but what do you think about trading B. Schenn?

It was summed up pretty well above, but so far he's shown that he's not a very good possession player, among other negatives. I would think his value is still pretty high so maybe you bite the bullet and deal him, either in a package for an upgrade or for a young defender.

I know he's still young and can still improve. This is just for discussing, don't kill me here guys. :laugh:

I am ready to trade him, just as I was ready for JVR to go. If Schenn does not get 15 goals, I want him out

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Couple things:

1) Kris ****ing Newbury? Really? As if having one useless player in Rosehill wasn't enough?

2) Don't know why you guys think it's one side or the other with Couturier. On one hand he could do better and probably would do better with people not named Talbot. On the other hand, he hasn't shown much up till now and people have reason to start losing faith in him.

The guy's young but he's still 20 going on 21 and for an 8th overall forward (who was, at one point, in consideration to be among the first drafted) that's about the time a player should be, at the very least, showing some very good promise if not breaking out. So far the highlight of his NHL career and most promising aspect of his NHL career has been playing defense against Malkin one time in the playoffs a while ago.

This just kinds of reminds me of Schenn, JVR, and Giroux. Schenn hadn't lived up to his potential when he was traded to us and people here ignored that largely and he still isn't living up to his potential and now people are fully realizing it. JVR kept being given breaks around here and in the NHL at large until he was 22 for some reason based solely on his draft pedigree and position and ability to show up every once in a while yet at 24 years old and on a different team he still isn't living up to his draft position or potential. Maple Leafs fans like to praise him and expect big things of him, but if you extrapolate his only season with the Leafs in the lockout season he's still only playing up to the potential of a 30 G, 60 Point guy at best. Those are two examples of guys that have yet to live up to their extreme draft potential, hype, and faith that both have had a lot to do with the Flyers in recent years.

Giroux was drafted much later and had much less hype going for him and yet, while playing on our third line for the majority of the time in his first couple years with us, he still showed his skill level and what he could do with us in that position. I don't remember him ever playing with guys like Richards or Carter or Hartnell much in his first couple seasons yet he still produced at the level of a quality .5 PPG secondary scorer with potential.

At this point in time Couturier is giving me more reason to believe he'll head the route of JVR and Schenn then Giroux. Though, to be fair, I've never believed JVR or Schenn would reach their potential so maybe there's bias there, I don't know.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
The good...Mason was good, Vinny, B.Schenn, G. and Read were good
Flyers D looked pretty good except L. Schenn that cost us a goal.

The bad...Simmer? nice Penalty shot:sarcasm: offense couldn't get a screen on Bernier, go to the net guys! Couts looked out of place. How many shots did the Flyers take that totally missed the net.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
how do you guys feel about TNT being the goal song? i like it better than doop but it's still pretty high on the cheesey meter. it's a bummer they'll never bring back bro hymn until homer signs richie and carter to 7 year 35+ contracts.

It's horrendous. Doop was 10X better and that's saying something.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Hey guys, good game last night. Just wanted to say that after watching the game and feeling like we were going to get buried, I felt like Bernier was the key factor last night. He made monumental saves and zapped the energy out of your team, it can happen to any team. I really thought your team played well. Other than that, Hartnell looked a bit off, like his hand eye and timing were a bit rusty, but beyond that your team was a force for most of the game. I have a feeling you will bounce back next game. Cheers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Hey guys, good game last night. Just wanted to say that after watching the game and feeling like we were going to get buried, I felt like Bernier was the key factor last night. He made monumental saves and zapped the energy out of your team, it can happen to any team. I really thought your team played well. Other than that, Hartnell looked a bit off, like his hand eye and timing were a bit rusty, but beyond that your team was a force for most of the game. I have a feeling you will bounce back next game. Cheers.

No. That's just Hartnell. He'll have a nice snipe from the slot, then he'll follow it up on the next shift with tripping over his own two while feet catching a pass.

SchennSational1022*

Wow a well thought out post, glad to see. Cant speak for the rest of your fanbase though.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Good: Giroux, Streit, Lecavalier, 1st period, Mason (for the most part), defensive breakouts

Bad: Passing after the 1st period, shooting, ineffective use of dump and chase

Ugly: Seriously our passing. They were just flinging the puck all around where they expect a player to be instead of accurately putting the puck on their sticktape. Only Giroux, Vinny, and Streit were capable of making clean passes throughout the whole game.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
No. That's just Hartnell. He'll have a nice snipe from the slot, then he'll follow it up on the next shift with tripping over his own two while feet catching a pass.

Hartnell did look a lot faster this game than last year though. He was able to beat players to loose pucks and was good on board battles. However, like the original poster said, his hands were not working. He couldn't bury anything and when he had good chances he wouldn't go for the shot until the defense was already in position to block/deflect the shot.

But overall, I think Hartnell looks poised for a bounce back season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad