Post-Game Talk: October 2, 2013| vs. Toronto. Johnny B. GOODe; BAD to the Bone; UGLY Truth

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Well I think Lavi's going to be out soon & Terry Murray will be brought in. Murray is known to award players who are defensively responsible with more ice time so we'll get a better idea of where Couturier stands if that does indeed happen.

Awesome, we can score even less now.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
People are ALREADY saying that about Schenn. Schenn to me has been a pretty massive disappointment to lots.

Yeah and they're being impatient as well. Sure this is his 3rd yr but one it just started, no one is gonna play the same all year so give the kid a chance and two he just turned 22. Last yr he has given about 15 of ice time a game good for 8th on the team among forwards. I can't think of many 15 minutes forwards that put up 40 or 50 points. If you want these guys to produce you have to put them in a position to succeed. Schenn looks to be getting that opportunity this season, if he doesn't knock it out the park though I won't call him a bust. I'll give him another yr to show what he can do.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't really think anybody is arguing the last part though. If Couturier played with decent linemates, he doesn't have to be flanked by all-stars just better players then Talbot and Rinaldo, he'd put up numbers that people around here would at least be content with. Instead his lack of production is seen as a sign of a lack of offensive talent. But the thing that bothers me most is that we are one game into the season and we are already talking about this. So I assume most people arguing Couturier is a dud are basing this off his offensive numbers from last yr. Just seems really stupid to me.

I know no one is saying that he would be a superstar...but how many more points do you think he would get if he played with guys like Read and Simmonds? Ten more? Twenty more? More than that? Less than that? It isn't going to really revolutionize his game unless he goes from Rinaldo and Rosehill to the Sedin Twins.

Just putting him out there with the likes of Read and Simmonds isn't going to make the difference you are hoping for. Yes, his scoring would go up. Last year he was on pace for around 30 points. I honestly don't think putting him out there with Read and Simmonds is going to turn him into a 60 point player...or even a 50 point player. My projection would probably be somewhere in the 40s. I don't have any problem with that if his defense remains at a high level, and maybe you don't either. But it seems like some people here think that putting him with better linemates would drastically increase his point total (not to the point of superstardom, but it seems like people would expect a drastic increase)...which I don't think it would.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Awesome, we can score even less now.

Is that even possible? Preseason they averaged 2 goals...so far we're at 1 goal although I suspsect against Montreal, Carolina, Florida and Phoenix that should bump up but remains to be seen.

What concerns me is the gauntlet of Detroit, Vancouver, Pitt, NYR and even the Islanders.....I think that stretch will be critical and show us what this team is really about.

Anyway, Murray would be a stopgap and not my choice for anything long term. Again..wish Lavi was canned in the offseason when there were better candidates available.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hmm, I hope that means a trade for a good third line winger is coming.

Get Talbot back to the 4th line where he belongs.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I know no one is saying that he would be a superstar...but how many more points do you think he would get if he played with guys like Read and Simmonds? Ten more? Twenty more? More than that? Less than that? It isn't going to really revolutionize his game unless he goes from Rinaldo and Rosehill to the Sedin Twins.

Just putting him out there with the likes of Read and Simmonds isn't going to make the difference you are hoping for. Yes, his scoring would go up. Last year he was on pace for around 30 points. I honestly don't think putting him out there with Read and Simmonds is going to turn him into a 60 point player...or even a 50 point player. My projection would probably be somewhere in the 40s. I don't have any problem with that if his defense remains at a high level, and maybe you don't either. But it seems like some people here think that putting him with better linemates would drastically increase his point total (not to the point of superstardom, but it seems like people would expect a drastic increase)...which I don't think it would.

I would say 40's is about right. If he did that while playing his usual good defense at 20 yr old (I think he turns 21 sometime soon) no one would even consider him being a dud IMO. I really don't think anyone expects him to be a 60+ pt guy, at least not now. Maybe when he's 25 and into his prime.

Just saying for some people around here it seems those 15ish points makes the world of difference between "he's young give him more time" and he's a "bust". I'm arguing that with decent linemates he'd be viewed by most as a "he's young give him more time" player instead of approaching bust level.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Maybe it wouldnt make him a superstar but if a guy goes from 27-28 points a year for 2 straight seasons to 45 points, that is a pretty drastic increase. That's a 60+% increase in scoring. That basically makes him Matt Read but at 20 years old which I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy with and thrilled about his development.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I would say 40's is about right. If he did that while playing his usual good defense at 20 yr old (I think he turns 21 sometime soon) no one would even consider him being a dud IMO. I really don't think anyone expects him to be a 60+ pt guy, at least not now. Maybe when he's 25 and into his prime.

Just saying for some people around here it seems those 15ish points makes the world of difference between "he's young give him more time" and he's a "bust". I'm arguing that with decent linemates he'd be viewed by most as a "he's young give him more time" player instead of approaching bust level.

Maybe it wouldnt make him a superstar but if a guy goes from 27-28 points a year for 2 straight seasons to 45 points, that is a pretty drastic increase. That's a 60+% increase in scoring. That basically makes him Matt Read but at 20 years old which I'm pretty sure everyone would be happy with and thrilled about his development.

I'm not calling him a bust at all, I just don't think putting him out there with differnet guys is going to make the difference people are expecting. I guess if people are expecting 40s, then my argument isn't really on point, but it seems like people are expecting more than that. I think a 10 point or so increase is probably what he would bring to the table if put out there with better linemates, bringing him into the 40s.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not calling him a bust at all, I just don't think putting him out there with differnet guys is going to make the difference people are expecting. I guess if people are expecting 40s, then my argument isn't really on point, but it seems like people are expecting more than that. I think a 10 point or so increase is probably what he would bring to the table if put out there with better linemates, bringing him into the 40s.

I wasn't referring to you about the bust thing and maybe some expect that he'd be a 60pt guy with better linemates but nothing I've seen has given me that impression. This all started for me cause of the "people are afraid to admit that Couturier could be a dud" comment. I just don't see how someone can say that at this juncture.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Anyone know if Newbury can play wing. I know he a center but I don't really see why they'd give him the call if they just wanted another 4th liner.

Penalty Kill Icing*

My 2 cents...

From what I saw, Flyers could've easily won this any other night.

Flyers had very high quality chances around the net but failed to execute. I even remeber 3-4 empty net chances after a cross-crease pass but failed to connect. Add Simmonds' missed penalty shot to that.

To me, Flyers dominated the 1st half of the game. But Toronto completely shut it down once they got the lead.

P.S.: Beat the crap out of Scabs on Saturday, will ya?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
EXACTLY ! We had a ton of great quality scoring chances, give Bernier a lot of credit for a remarkable effort............Blaming Lavy, Homer, Mez, etc is sheer ignorant nonsense. All in all we had plenty of shots, and Mason played well, we just did not get the W .Next game many of those shots may go in and we roll, such are the ebbs and flows of hockey.

One could say the same thing about ignoring a very obvious trend that stretches across last season to the NJ series.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Couturier played with Voracek most of the night, and they did nothing. When Voracek goes back to 1, Couturier will probably get Schenn or Simmonds. What will be the excuse then if it doesn't work out? Simmonds scores 28-30 goals a year.

The line was completely ruined by Talbot's awful presence all night. They might as well have been a man down on offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad