Injury Report: Oct. 24: Andrew MacDonald LBI (knee) ; Nov. 15 update: could return around Nov. 22

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I wish Hextall could say if you get injured from taking a puck to the skate then you don't get paid while you're out. That would get the hold outs to overcome their issues with them in a hurry.

Goalies didn't even where masks when I started watching hockey! Saw lots of bloody faces in the Jersey Devils locker room!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Tim P. sent a Twitter that MacDonald is on the ice today (Nov. 6) at the morning skate. I believe that is a first since the injury.

RJ8812*

people will continue to defend him, but the fact of the matter is he isn't anything more than a bottom paring defenseman

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
When everyone's healthy I think the smartest thing to do would be to make the pairs

Coburn-MDZ
MacDonald-Streit

as for the bottom pair, I have no idea who would go where because I know there's no way in hell Berube benches Grossmann and I'd absolutely rather have any 2 of Schenn, Schultz, or Colaiacovo over him.

In my mind the best case scenario is that when everyone is healthy Hextall trades Grossmann and keeps Schenn, Schultz, and Colaiacovo to form the third pair and whoever is left over serves as 7th D.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
When everyone's healthy I think the smartest thing to do would be to make the pairs

Coburn-MDZ
MacDonald-Streit

as for the bottom pair, I have no idea who would go where because I know there's no way in hell Berube benches Grossmann and I'd absolutely rather have any 2 of Schenn, Schultz, or Colaiacovo over him.

In my mind the best case scenario is that when everyone is healthy Hextall trades Grossmann and keeps Schenn, Schultz, and Colaiacovo to form the third pair and whoever is left over serves as 7th D.

I agree with this 100%. Mac in the right situation (paired with Streit not facing top competition) is a valuable piece. If MDZ continues to play like he has recently then he and Coburn make the most sense and compliment each other nicely.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Anything that doesn't involve MacDonald-Coburn or MDZ-Schenn as pairings is OK by me.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

Coburn-MDZ
MacDonald-Streit

Schultz has played well enough to stay in. Hopefully the D is all healthy by the deadline and one of Grossmann or L.Schenn are traded.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Schultz has played well enough to stay in. Hopefully the D is all healthy by the deadline and one of Grossmann or L.Schenn are traded.

Trading Schenn should not be mentioned in the same breath as trading Grossmann. Trading Grossmann is far more urgent. He's 5 years older, injury prone, and has 1/4 the skill of Schenn. Hell, he doesn't even hit nearly as much and that supposed to be his game. All he does is block shots..because they hit him..because hes big and cant move.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Trading Schenn should not be mentioned in the same breath as trading Grossmann. Trading Grossmann is far more urgent. He's 5 years older, injury prone, and has 1/4 the skill of Schenn. Hell, he doesn't even hit nearly as much and that supposed to be his game. All he does is block shots..because they hit him..because hes big and cant move.

I just think both won't be here past next summer when both are UFAs. That is why I am lumping them together.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
When everyone is healthy

Trade grossman

MDZ-Coburn
MacDonald-Streit
Schultz-Schenn
Colaiacovo

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
And people like you will continue to ignore the fact that he has played well and put up solid numbers when he's on a second pairing with Streit.

There's no bottom pairing defensemen in the league who has gotten the minutes or the quality of competition that MacDonald has faced.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

I am not sure how you can use advanced stats to try to defend Andy-Mac. Yes he plays hard minutes but its the way he plays that is concerning. He is certainly not a top pairing defensemen. When he is on the ice he is going to give up shots and he is going to give up the blue line. He is bad on the PP and he is average at best on the PK.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No one here thinks he's a top pairing defenseman. You know who else is giving up a lot of shots since they started getting some of MacDonald's top pairing minutes? Grossmann and Schultz. With Kimmo out, Coburn is the only guy we have who is really capable of handling the likes of Crosby and Datsyuk.

And the 2nd PP unit has been noticeably worse without him. MDZ can't hit the net to save his life and Schultz is way out of his depth on the PP.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA

just a big bumbling oaf that cant get out the way.....then berube sees him absorb a couple of shots and thinks ''wow! look an old school gamer thats willing to give up his body to help us win, im neverever trading that guy!!!''... true story.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just think both won't be here past next summer when both are UFAs. That is why I am lumping them together.

I personally would like to see Schenn extended at a lower cap hit to play bottom pairing minutes. At his age I think he can develop into the type of defensemen you need to win long playoff series. Look at the impact Matt Greene and Willie Mitchell had for LA. Neither are terribly skilled but both learned how to be effective at their style after years of maturity. Big bodies that wear down the opposition go a long way in the playoffs.

If Grossmann is extended, well then I will boycott the team, much like I am boycotting the Phillies until Amaro is fired.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
Both Coburn and L.Schenn are going to get long extensions as UFAs. MacD will still be around for a while. Streit has one more year after them until he is a UFA. MDZ will get an extension this summer if he keeps it up. Then you have the young D working into the lineup. I think they keep Coburn, but are unwilling to commit to L.Schenn given how overpaid many D get as or approaching UFA.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Schenns skating and passing are also superior to Grossmanns.

Schenn may be a slow skater, but he is far more 'agile' than Grossmann and stronger on his skates.

His passing is 10x better. He is actually a pretty decent passer and can go tape to tape without much hassle.

BillDineen

Aug 9, 2009
L.Schenn and Coburn will likely get 6-7 year deals as UFA. Grossmann 4-5 years. All three are going to be ugly contracts. Hopefully we only have to live with one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think you're way off on the length of the Grossmann and LSchenn deals. Grossmann will be lucky to get a two year deal in 2016.

Look at the deals Nikitin and Fayne got.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad