GDT: Oct. 22nd: Blues @ Flames - 8:00pm [TV: SN360/SN1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Welp I didn't watch this; anyone care to give a tldw?

first few shifts were great, hard on the forecheck, good o-zone time, no good chances though.

then Bennett took a (weak) penalty on the forcheck and it's in the back of the net.

then they're pretty flat until the start of the 2nd, where they get back on the forecheck. eventually, St. Louis has their (literally) first defensive breakdown of the game at their offensive blueline. Calgary rushes and Versteeg scores. Ferland pots probably the worst goal you'll see all year right after. 2-1 Flames. Fall apart completely for the rest of the period, ending with Yakupov absolutely dancing (like wow) Gio and setting up a goal. 4-2 Blues after 40.

Third period, more bad. Flames super flat and Perron scores his hat-trick goal on a terribad givewaway by Dougie, but then the Flames actually start showing some life. The defence starts activating and the 2014-15 Flames come back to life for a little bit. They score two on some shaky goaltending by Allen (honestly, Calgary had the better goalie tonight and still lost). right after they score to make it 5-4, Bennett draws a powerkill for the Flames that goes about as bad as it can without giving up a shortie and the momentum is gone. blues score in the empty net and win 6-4.

throughout all of this, Gaudreau took a bunch of slashes and even quite a few hits (he seems off compared to last season in his ability to avoid hits). The whole team (and especially Engelland, despite being good for absolutely nothing other than face-punching) don't do anything about it.

all in all a very rough game except for the brief 5 minutes or so of hope. I'm still hopeful for this season. if the Flames we're 3-2 going into this game we'd just be writing it off as getting beat by a better team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't get to watch really any of this game, but I'll look at the highlights now. I listened to the first two periods, and it sounded like the Flames were leaving guys open in the slot all night long for re-directs, and the Blues were having no problem moving the puck around in our zone. Confirmed?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Didn't get to watch really any of this game, but I'll look at the highlights now. I listened to the first two periods, and it sounded like the Flames were leaving guys open in the slot all night long for re-directs, and the Blues were having no problem moving the puck around in our zone. Confirmed?

yup. at 5 on 5 it looked they had a powerplay whenever they could get extended zone time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
yup. at 5 on 5 it looked they had a powerplay whenever they could get extended zone time.

Ugh, that sucks to hear. Like I've said, I'd like to see some kind of improvement game by game on the system, whatever it is. This sounds like either the system is broken, or the boys just weren't playing it.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
On the bright side, if we draft Liljegren we can probably convert Hamilton to a top line RW or something a la Brent Burns 2K14 / Byfuglien 2k10

I wouod very much support that top six. Shelter the bottom two pairs with as much high ground as possible.

Just what the Flames need, another Kylington-esque prospect who can skate, has a dynamic offensive mindset and can't play defense.

Him and Kylington are essentially the same prospect. We need someone like Hjalmerson (sp?) who is mean and can play defense. And of course Patrick would help, 6'3" center who if we had to can play RW on the top line since he shoots right.

6 games in and I am talking prospects. I didn't want to do that this year. :(

TkachuksMouthguard

Mar 17, 2007
London, UK
At this stage of development and build, this team is fragile. If there is no pressure, and things go well, they go really well. Like we experienced few seasons ago when we made the post. When the season start with some expectations and things go south, they continue to slide south quick. Just like we saw last year and whats happening now. Last year it was the bad management of goaltending which fractured this teams confidence. This year its start with no proper pre-season. Johnny's contract and Moneys injury. The team is left to try and feel things out in the first few season games, with the expectations from management and fans that we should have a good start. And fracture and downfall.

Its going to be a long road if this team is looking to make things right. There will need to be a long series of positive events that build the confidence of this team, takes the pressure off and lets the kids play the way they can.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
72511849.jpg

Sheesh, this is just depressing. :(
It's the exact same start as last year. This team will never go anywhere if the top guys keep treating the first month of regular season as an extended training camp. Which coincidentally was the norm in the Iggy era as well.

Gulutzan is giving me a Dallas Eakins vibe and I don't even know what to say about the goalies (well Chad's been OK). Blah.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Can we send Monahan down to the ahl on a conditioning stint? Dude has been brutal, looks like he's forgotten everything since peewee. Jankowski would be a better option right now. Mono needs to relearn the game of hockey and stop clearly being pissed at Johnny for holding out

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not even 12 hours ago Monahan was a 3rd liner, now he is not even an NHLer.

SSUTTER

Oct 16, 2016
The question we need to ask is, what would it take to get the flames on a w streak?

I feel,
If Monahan starts to play like he is able to, it will get the top line producing, Johnny cant do it himself, he needs the help right now. Other teams know Johnny's dangerous, hes targeted, he cant do it himself. Mony needs a hard push, punch him or cut him before the game. Cut his hair or something.

Gio and Brodie need to set the tone for the D. Keep pressure inside the offensive zone, possession, tape to tape passes, enter the zone with a shot on net not a dump in. As of right now I feel these 2 can only go up.

Benny, we need more. Make the smart pass not the flashy dangle

If these 4 players start playing, we could look great. Tape to tape passes and pressure would go a long way to even help the PP.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Ugh, that sucks to hear. Like I've said, I'd like to see some kind of improvement game by game on the system, whatever it is. This sounds like either the system is broken, or the boys just weren't playing it.

It wasn't that bad and the Flames had sustained pressure of their own.

They're getting shots from high danger areas but those shots wind up being muffins, or deflected as the Blues are really annoying at getting sticks in the way.

The system needs time.

The good players need to rediscover their confidence.

Edit - I'll also say this. Blues were taking liberties last night - with Gaudreau, crashing Johnson, without impunity. Without repercussions. That **** needs to stop.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This team feels like last year, in the sense that there's seems to be no game where the entire team is on. Know what I mean?

Getting 4 goals a night? Swell, because the defensive coverage can't keep high danger changes out of the back of the net.
Defence keeping it tight? Well, the offensive side will slow down to crawl and the other team will hold onto the puck all night.
Making a comeback? Solid, the goalie will let in a real softie right now.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Just what the Flames need, another Kylington-esque prospect who can skate, has a dynamic offensive mindset and can't play defense.

Him and Kylington are essentially the same prospect. We need someone like Hjalmerson (sp?) who is mean and can play defense.

What are you talking about? Liljegren is not a Kylington. He's a Drew Doughty. Best D prospect since Ekblad.

This team feels like last year, in the sense that there's seems to be no game where the entire team is on. Know what I mean?

Getting 4 goals a night? Swell, because the defensive coverage can't keep high danger changes out of the back of the net.
Defence keeping it tight? Well, the offensive side will slow down to crawl and the other team will hold onto the puck all night.
Making a comeback? Solid, the goalie will let in a real softie right now.

You need glue guys and we don't have one. In 2015 our glue guys were probably Russell, Byron, Hudler, and Bouma. Bouma has been invisible in a more traditional system that doesn't have him playing like Henrik Karlsson, and the other three are gone.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Tkachuk sitting again? Just send him back to juniors.

Doesn't look like Elliott's going to get a chance to play against his old team anytime soon.

Kulak should be playing.

Gaudreau would draw more penalties if Wideman wasn't playing.

And finally, Gulutzan says a lot of right things but it doesn't seem to be getting through to the players for whatever reason. Either they're a lot uh, "slower", then previously thought or Gulutzan isn't an effective communicator or the cult of Hartley was stronger than anyone could have possibly imagined.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Talk is cheap. He should start benching real players instead of the rookies who are not really the problem

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
You need glue guys and we don't have one. In 2015 our glue guys were probably Russell, Byron, Hudler, and Bouma. Bouma has been invisible in a more traditional system that doesn't have him playing like Henrik Karlsson, and the other three are gone.

Stajan might be the only guy I can really think of. I thought it'd be perfect years for Monahan and Bennett to develop into those major team guys; leaders. Hasn't happened.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Even if he is playing, send him back so he doesn't have to learn how to be a pro from our supposed stars right now.

This is what I don't get. He won't be corrupted by Monahan and Gaudreau if they aren't playing well. If that was the case, what's the point of having veterans?

There's more to the team than those two.

Even then, he still should be sent down if he's being scratched.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is what I don't get. He won't be corrupted by Monahan and Gaudreau if they aren't playing well. If that was the case, what's the point of having veterans?

WHen your captain and one of your alternate captains are 2 of the guys not playing right, it's not a good situation. It is unfair to put all veterans in that category as guys like Brouwer, Stajan and Engelland have been playing well.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Country club. Players who are on the roster for games lost are ruined forever.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I think it's less about the individual performances of certain players and more so just not wanting him in a 'losing' environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad