GDT: Oct 15th Minny @ Leafs at 7pm on TSN4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Toronto: 3-2-1 (should be better)

Minny: 1-4-0 (about right)

The Minnesota Wild visit the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday night after earning that elusive first victory of the season Monday afternoon.

The Wild defeated the host Ottawa Senators 2-0 after losing their first four games and will face a Maple Leafs team that has struggled at home but was buoyed by a 5-2 road win Saturday night against the Detroit Red Wings.

Toronto has won both road games this season while winning once in four home games.

The Wild's win in Ottawa was hardly a work of art. "I think at this stage, we don't care," said Wild left winger Zach Parise who scored an empty-net goal. "To get into that win column for us was the ultimate goal today. No matter how it happened, one way or another, we had to get there and we did."

Center Victor Rask scored the first goal at 9:23 of the third period and Alex Stalock stopped 26 shots. Wild coach Bruce Boudreau refused to commit to Stalock starting in Toronto.

"I think those are the kind of games we're going to have to win," Boudreau said. "Like 6-5 is probably not in our repertoire, but 2-1, 3-1, if we can do that a lot, you'll be a successful team."

Devan Dubnyk is scheduled to start Tuesday. Boudreau indicated right winger Gerry Mayhew could make his NHL debut against the Maple Leafs.

Mayhew was leading the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League with six points -- three goals and three assists -- this season. He had 27 goals and 33 assists with Iowa last season.

After losing 7-3 at home to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday, the Maple Leafs had a meeting Friday morning.
"We talked a lot about that - how hard can we work?" Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after the game Saturday. "We thought our work ethic was really good in camp, really good at the start, liked it all the way through. We didn't like it last game (Thursday) but, to me, that's got to be our calling card. If we go to work, our talent will show and you've got to outwork the other team."

The Maple Leafs' fourth line had a big night Saturday. Nicholas Shore scored a goal, Dmytro Timashov had two assists and Frederik Gauthier was 7-for-7 on faceoffs, five in the defensive zone.

"Well, they were good," Babcock said. "I started (Gauthier) and Shore -- whatever line you want to call it -- in the D-zone every time and they seemed to win the draw and play in the offensive zone, so that was a good line for us."

Gauthier, Shore and Timashov were on the ice for more defensive zone faceoffs than any other Toronto line Saturday.

The Maple Leafs sent rookie defenseman Rasmus Sandin to the Toronto Marlies of the AHL Monday so he could continue his development. They recalled veteran Kevin Gravel.

"We can't get (Sandin) on the power play in front of the guys we got, can't get on the penalty kill," Babcock said. "So, in the end, a real good night (is only) 14 minutes."
--Field Level Media

Go Leafs Go

Last time my GDT was terrible luck... so uh... hopefully its not a trend.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
13E96398-8E50-4253-BE5F-C8D0EAF3F328.gif

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I've been kinda down on this team the last couple days, but I'm optimistic. We're currently 6th in SF%, 5th in FF%, and 2nd in CF% at 5v5 according to EvolvingHockey. We're in line with our usual Sh%, but have trailed insanely at Sv% at 5v5.

If this team sticks with it, and if goal tending bounces back quick, we're going to be a great team.

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
Toronto: 3-2-1 (should be better)

Minny: 1-4-0 (about right)

The Minnesota Wild visit the Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday night after earning that elusive first victory of the season Monday afternoon.

The Wild defeated the host Ottawa Senators 2-0 after losing their first four games and will face a Maple Leafs team that has struggled at home but was buoyed by a 5-2 road win Saturday night against the Detroit Red Wings.

Toronto has won both road games this season while winning once in four home games.

The Wild's win in Ottawa was hardly a work of art. "I think at this stage, we don't care," said Wild left winger Zach Parise who scored an empty-net goal. "To get into that win column for us was the ultimate goal today. No matter how it happened, one way or another, we had to get there and we did."

Center Victor Rask scored the first goal at 9:23 of the third period and Alex Stalock stopped 26 shots. Wild coach Bruce Boudreau refused to commit to Stalock starting in Toronto.

"I think those are the kind of games we're going to have to win," Boudreau said. "Like 6-5 is probably not in our repertoire, but 2-1, 3-1, if we can do that a lot, you'll be a successful team."

Devan Dubnyk is scheduled to start Tuesday. Boudreau indicated right winger Gerry Mayhew could make his NHL debut against the Maple Leafs.

Mayhew was leading the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League with six points -- three goals and three assists -- this season. He had 27 goals and 33 assists with Iowa last season.

After losing 7-3 at home to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Thursday, the Maple Leafs had a meeting Friday morning.
"We talked a lot about that - how hard can we work?" Maple Leafs coach Mike Babcock said after the game Saturday. "We thought our work ethic was really good in camp, really good at the start, liked it all the way through. We didn't like it last game (Thursday) but, to me, that's got to be our calling card. If we go to work, our talent will show and you've got to outwork the other team."

The Maple Leafs' fourth line had a big night Saturday. Nicholas Shore scored a goal, Dmytro Timashov had two assists and Frederik Gauthier was 7-for-7 on faceoffs, five in the defensive zone.

"Well, they were good," Babcock said. "I started (Gauthier) and Shore -- whatever line you want to call it -- in the D-zone every time and they seemed to win the draw and play in the offensive zone, so that was a good line for us."

Gauthier, Shore and Timashov were on the ice for more defensive zone faceoffs than any other Toronto line Saturday.

The Maple Leafs sent rookie defenseman Rasmus Sandin to the Toronto Marlies of the AHL Monday so he could continue his development. They recalled veteran Kevin Gravel.

"We can't get (Sandin) on the power play in front of the guys we got, can't get on the penalty kill," Babcock said. "So, in the end, a real good night (is only) 14 minutes."
--Field Level Media

Go Leafs Go

Last time my GDT was terrible luck... so uh... hopefully its not a trend.

Thanks for the game thread. I am sure your luck changes tonight! It should be a easy and fun to watch game, but somehow this team is unpredictable. Hope the top lines show more life. Does anyone have a link to Andersen's supposed kink that it's his choice to start the first game on a back to back???

Reactions: Burnie97

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Thanks for the game thread. I am sure your luck changes tonight! It should be a easy and fun to watch game, but somehow this team is unpredictable. Hope the top lines show more life. Does anyone have a link to Andersen's supposed kink that it's his choice to start the first game on a back to back???
It's a Babcock thing. He prefers starting his #1 on the first game of a back-to-back. Been that way since he got here. He deviated from it near end of last year due to resting Andersen late, however besides that instance Fred always goes on night number 1.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Rogue Leader

Oct 12, 2019
Corellia
It's a Babcock thing. He prefers starting his #1 on the first game of a back-to-back. Been that way since he got here. He deviated from it near end of last year due to resting Andersen late, however besides that instance Fred always goes on night number 1.
Today I read a post here that supposedly Freddy decides to go first, because the first game of a back to back has a morning skate and the second doesn't and that he doesn't like to change his routine, so he supposedly prefers always starting the game with a morning skate? I haven''t heard such a thing on any media and was wondering if there is a source to this?

EDIT: I found the post:
Pre-Game Talk: - Wild @ Leafs, Oct 15th - 7pm (TSN4) and Leafs @ Caps, Oct 16th - 7 pm (SN1)

Last edited:

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Don't worry. Yours is way better than @ACC1224 mail it in job :laugh:
But somebody had to do one

Lol... I suppose so.

Their was a dude a couple years back that used the paint job program that's on the old windows for GDTs ... can't remember who did them. They were pretty funny. Maybe someday I'll up my game to that.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Today I read a post here that supposedly Freddy decides to go first, because the first game of a back to back has a morning skate and the second doesn't and that he doesn't like to change his routine, so he supposedly prefers always starting the game with a morning skate? I haven''t heard such a thing on any media and was wondering if there is a source to this?
Babcock is known for running his #1 goalie all season long. Honestly, if there weren't any back-to-back games, he would play Andersen all 82 games. He's always been known to rely on his horse(s).

He always has his guys, and uses them relentlessly. He's never made use of the entire roster. The GM has provided him with so many players over the past 2 years yet they all spend significant time in press box as a healthy scratch eating popcorn.

Ignoring the goalie position for now, you can manage ice time and players' health so much better over course of year if you give your healthy scratches and others TOI over the year from game-to-game. He only let's them practice for the most part. That's it.

This year because of our LTIR, he's been revolving players in and out of lineup. Once Hyman & Dermott are back it'll go back to how it used to be. How he likes it to be.

The worst thing that you can do which will likely stunt your growth, as a result, is to be stubborn and set in your ways, to the point where you close your mind and completely refuse to open the door to new information.

No one is ever too old to change, improve themselves, try something new, or have a different approach. Hear people out, and keep an open mind. Don’t be stubborn. Be open to change.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Gotta love how Andersen is starting against the worst team in the league that also played last night lol, when we play Washington tomorrow.
Does it really matter if we start the .886 sv% goalie today over the .894 guy? both goalies are pretty much interchangeable until Andersen gets himself together. Playing the weaker opponent may be what Andersen needs to build some confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad