Injury Report: Oct. 12: Hartnell (UBI) out 2-to-4 weeks; Lecavalier (LBI) returned Oct. 24

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From Holmgren on how the injuries occurred:

Lecavalier made contact with a Coyotes' player behind the goal line. Hopeful to return (Oct. 24) after the week off.

Hartnell's injury wasn't due to any contact. He "turned to retrieve a pass and felt like a stabbing pain."

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Maybe it was related to the hit by Gudbranson in the Florida game. Could be shoulder/neck area.

2nd or 3rd degree shoulder separation maybe? The time fits and the way he moved off the ice, as well as the stabbing pain... but it would usually happen immediately after a hit or fall, they rarely just creep up on you!

Suppose a lot of injuries can be 2-4 weeks in the upper body though!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
2nd or 3rd degree shoulder separation maybe? The time fits and the way he moved off the ice, as well as the stabbing pain... but it would usually happen immediately after a hit or fall, they rarely just creep up on you!

Tough to judge without video evidence or seeing his reaction. Holmgren said there was no fracture.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Could be a rib cage or lat issue like Read's last year.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Paul Holmgren said he expects both Scott Hartnell and Vinny Lecavalier to begin skating on their own on Sunday. Hartnell timeline still same

Source: Frank S., Philadelphia Daily News.

Flyers next play October 24.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
They both skated today. Vinny's post skate interview is up on the Flyers main site. He said "hopefully I'm be back Thursday" but couldn't say more. Went on to say he's not sure if he'll be practicing again tomorrow they are just gonna wait to see how he feels but he did add "It's looking really good right now", referring to the injury.

I would imagine barring a setback he'll be in the lineup come Thursday which should mean Talbot gets bumped to the 4th line. This would also mean Newbury and Rosehill are scratched as I really can't see them scratching McGinn or Raffl the way they played the past couple games.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They both skated today. Vinny's post skate interview is up on the Flyers main site. He said "hopefully I'm be back Thursday" but couldn't say more. Went on to say he's not sure if he'll be practicing again tomorrow they are just gonna wait to see how he feels but he did add "It's looking really good right now", referring to the injury.

I would imagine barring a setback he'll be in the lineup come Thursday which should mean Talbot gets bumped to the 4th line. This would also mean Newbury and Rosehill are scratched as I really can't see them scratching McGinn or Raffl the way they played the past couple games.

I agree, but one of them will be scratched. Why reward solid, productive effort?

I missed the 2nd period of the Pens game, and the main problem was that they tried to match Raffl-Schenn-Simmonds with Kimmo and Gus vs. Malkin's line and got dominated. There was a clear penalty on Jokinen's goal too. IF Matt Read could have done anything with his great odd man breaks, it might have been a different game. Still, McGinn and Raffl looked very good again. Too good to scratch, I agree, but Berube might want some muscle vs. the Rangers.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

These injuries could frankly have been a blessing is disguise for the lineup as if there is common sense used when everyone is back Rosehill and Newbury will not be close to the team:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Raffl/McGinn-Couturier-Read
Talbot/Raffl-Hall/Talbot-Rinaldo

Looks a pretty great 12 any way it is spliced... just a question of who sits/is sent down? Hall, McGinn or Raffl... as I cannot see any of the others not playing.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree, but one of them will be scratched. Why reward solid, productive effort?

I missed the 2nd period of the Pens game, and the main problem was that they tried to match Raffl-Schenn-Simmonds with Kimmo and Gus vs. Malkin's line and got dominated. There was a clear penalty on Jokinen's goal too. IF Matt Read could have done anything with his great odd man breaks, it might have been a different game. Still, McGinn and Raffl looked very good again. Too good to scratch, I agree, but Berube might want some muscle vs. the Rangers.

I hope this isn't true but I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

These injuries could frankly have been a blessing is disguise for the lineup as if there is common sense used when everyone is back Rosehill and Newbury will not be close to the team:

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Raffl/McGinn-Couturier-Read
Talbot/Raffl-Hall/Talbot-Rinaldo

Looks a pretty great 12 any way it is spliced... just a question of who sits/is sent down? Hall, McGinn or Raffl... as I cannot see any of the others not playing.

I would say Hall. He's not playing much and hasn't been great in FO dot like he normally is. I would just move Talbot back to center since he's actually been better in percentage wise in his limited opportunities this year. What would suck is replacing Hall's pk minutes. Right now G isn't playing as much as he normally would because we have Hall, Talbot, Read and Couts to take most of those minutes. If Hall is gone it would mean G would have to step up cause the team doesn't really have other options, though maybe Rinaldo could finally get his shot.

I agree, that is a much better lineup.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I hope this isn't true but I guess we'll find out on Thursday.

I would say Hall. He's not playing much and hasn't been great in FO dot like he normally is. I would just move Talbot back to center since he's actually been better in percentage wise in his limited opportunities this year. What would suck is replacing Hall's pk minutes. Right now G isn't playing as much as he normally would because we have Hall, Talbot, Read and Couts to take most of those minutes. If Hall is gone it would mean G would have to step up cause the team doesn't really have other options, though maybe Rinaldo could finally get his shot.

I agree, that is a much better lineup.

Raffl was a pretty damn good PKer in europe... pretty sure he had 2 shorties for Leksands last year. One vs Altumna and one vs Karlskoga... maybe he had one more. I imagine he could/would slot in if Hall went down.

Couts-Read
Raffl-Talbot
Giroux

That would not be a bad 5 PKing forwards. Especially as we know how good Read, Couts and Talbot are at it.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Raffl was a pretty damn good PKer in europe... pretty sure he had 2 shorties for Leksands last year. One vs Altumna and one vs Karlskoga... maybe he had one more. I imagine he could/would slot in if Hall went down.

Couts-Read
Raffl-Talbot
Giroux

That would not be a bad 5 PKing forwards. Especially as we know how good Read, Couts and Talbot are at it.

Was thinking that based on what I heard, which is that he was a responsible 2-way player in Europe. Those guys typically pk but I wasn't sure if that was actually part of his game. Thanks, I really wouldn't worry too much about dropping Hall in that case.

No not at all bad. I would like to see that. A 4th line of Raffl-Talbot-Rinaldo would actually be pretty good IMO. A line that could play a decent amount of ES minutes and not cost you while they're out there.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I really like these line combos, hopefully we see them on game in Thursday and the offense gets going.

I really feel like Berube gets it. Hes on point with the post game comments and these lines look great. Really like raffle on the top line. I also think we are running around our end less and taking less penalties. Give this guy some time and he will be a good coach IMO.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 40m

Lecavalier and Hartnell are in regular (contact) jerseys at practice for #Flyers today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad