Movies: Ocean's 8 (Female cast)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Well Hollywood is under scrutiny for pandering to the white male crowd for so long so its completely OK to do it the other way now right? Instead of just making good movies with good actors lets make sure we discriminate even more because the only way to fight discrimination is to perform discrimination in the opposite direction. :laugh:

:laugh: exactly.
just make good movies, and go from there.

Reactions: Lancer

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That cast is...
I don't know what to say. It's either a great cast. Or a terrible one.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Im waiting for the think pieces on how its sexist that the female Oceans 11 is focused on a fashion show instead of like, the Hadron collider or the IMF or something.

Reactions: td_ice

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I remain somewhat opposed to this movie solely on the admittedly flimsy grounds that it's employing someone who is choosing to go by the ridiculous internet handle of "awkwafina" in all the promotional material. I mean, Rihanna is going by one name too, but at least it's her real damn name.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
I remain somewhat opposed to this movie solely on the admittedly flimsy grounds that it's employing someone who is choosing to go by the ridiculous internet handle of "awkwafina" in all the promotional material. I mean, Rihanna is going by one name too, but at least it's her real damn name.

She was in that second Neighbors movie, which I don't know why I watched, but holy shit she was insufferable. She was in it for like, maybe 10 minutes total and she's pretty much the only thing I remember because she was really that bad.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
She was in that second Neighbors movie, which I don't know why I watched, but holy **** she was insufferable. She was in it for like, maybe 10 minutes total and she's pretty much the only thing I remember because she was really that bad.

Insufferable seems to be the default mode for a lot of youtube 'comedy' stars.

Reactions: Pilky01

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
With these 'all-female cast remakes' becoming a thing now, with the often hilarious/sad reactions on the internet, makes me wonder how a movie that is not part of an existing franchise that just legitimately has an all-female cast will be recieved in contrast. I'm talking specifically about Annihilation here, which comes out in February. Theatrical release has already been cut done so it will only be in theaters in US, Canada, and I think Korea, with the rest of the world getting it on Netflix.

Reactions: discostu

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm down for a well-made caper film

This.

A female driven caper movie differentiates it from other caper movies, as did the working class element in Logan Lucky did for that movie.

Sandra Bullock seems to be a good choice as the lead here. She's funny enough on her own, but will be able to play against the wackier characters.

Like all heist films, if it's a good script, it will work.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ok so they make an all woman's Ocean's film, fine. But they have to kill Dany Ocean off? Or maybe he is faking it?

Not liking that it starts exactly like Ocean's 11.

What's a Awkwafina?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The “all-female version of” movies are probably always going to suck, not because they contain an all-female cast, but because its such a blatant hack gimmick.

The world would be better served if this were the last one ever, and the ladies stuck to developing new IPs.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The “all-female version of” movies are probably always going to suck, not because they contain an all-female cast, but because its such a blatant hack gimmick.

The world would be better served if this were the last one ever, and the ladies stuck to developing new IPs.
We're talking about the 7th remake/sequal of a god damn shitty caper film. The blaming women/feminism for "forcing" something that "has" to be women is absurd.

Hollywood hasn't had an original idea in years. Getting upset because a remake has a woman in it is god damn weird

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I consider myself pretty progressive leaning (or at least anti-conservative), but I don't agree with many of these progressive arguments/justifications at all, personally. Making a movie purely to "pander" to a certain ideology is a bad idea even if that ideology is a favorable/morally just one. It's pretty clearly a gimmicky and ham-fisted attempt to capitalize on that, and it sure doesn't feel like it's being done with much sincerity/care. Even if it's a good idea morally (could go either way on that one), it's probably going to be an awful movie if it's made under those pretenses. And that has nothing to do with the talent of the actresses.

I don't understand the optimism people have for these kinds of projects. Yes, equally terrible male-equivalents of these kinds of things exist (like many of the male-dominated Oceans sequels), but those rightfully get eye-rolled at for being pretty uncreative and gimmicky as well, and this is just that with an extra layer of hackery, questionable motive, and reason to be skeptical added on top of that.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We're talking about the 7th remake/sequal of a god damn ****ty caper film. The blaming women/feminism for "forcing" something that "has" to be women is absurd.

Hollywood hasn't had an original idea in years. Getting upset because a remake has a woman in it is god damn weird

I'm not upset, I just think it's the hack gimmick du jour. If you read my post carefully, you'll discover that I don't have any problem with women in remakes or all-female casts. I have a problem with dumb, lazy ideas.

It's like movies that have talking babies in them. If I say that talking baby movies are a blatant hack gimmick, that doesn't mean I'm upset or think that babies shouldn't be in movies, it just means I think it's a dumb, lazy idea. Hollywood has a lot of them, but this is probably the most prevalent one right now.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I consider myself pretty progressive leaning (or at least anti-conservative), but I don't agree with many of these progressive arguments/justifications at all, personally. Making a movie purely to "pander" to a certain ideology is a bad idea even if that ideology is a favorable/morally just one. It's pretty clearly a gimmicky and ham-fisted attempt to capitalize on that, and it sure doesn't feel like it's being done with much sincerity/care. Even if it's a good idea morally (could go either way on that one), it's probably going to be an awful movie if it's made under those pretenses. And that has nothing to do with the talent of the actresses.

I don't understand the optimism people have for these kinds of projects. Yes, equally terrible male-equivalents of these kinds of things exist (like many of the male-dominated Oceans sequels), but those rightfully get eye-rolled at for being pretty uncreative and gimmicky as well, and this is just that with an extra layer of hackery, questionable motive, and reason to be skeptical added on top of that.

People want to feel important/better than others, like they're changing the world, like it makes a difference, etc. And like-minded people as a whole, once anything aligns with their opinions, tend to not care about anything other than to be able to cheer it on. People don't care to be objective, they want to "be right".

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Every franchise reboot or relaunch has some "hacky" gimmick. Yet, franchise films still dominate the box office. Where the talent comes in is taking some rehash, and making something unique out of it through a strong script.

The response that women should make their own franchises is a ridiculous charge, as audiences have shown they rarely consider a movie unless they have some knowledge of the IP behind it. It would be great if original films had as much chance to succeed at the box office, but that's not the reality we live in.

If there is to be a big budget female driven heist film, this is the only way it gets made.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad