Observations XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Tolvanen, fabbro, Forsberg, and carrier do not appear close to returning. Injuries have just been crazy this year. Those 4 above are going to be guys going forward that I will expect a lot out of or have high hopes for their potential.

If we take 2 of 3 against Chicago in this next set, we will make the playoffs. if we take 1 or less, it’s gonna be a literal coin flip.

i think the home game against CHI Monday is the perfect time to slot tomasino in and see what he has. the PP has been just awful and our even strength offense has been stagnant at times. Our games against CHI have had more open ice in the neutral zone than TB or CAR (duh) so i do think tomasino would be in a good spot to slot in and not just throw him to the wolves(no pun intended). gudbranson did well in that same scenario against CAR however.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I just want to know what in the heck is going on with Forsberg- went from day to day to this, with no return in sight.....
My only thought is concussion. Hope that’s not the case but like you, I am having a hard time understanding how Forsberg went from day to day to where we are now.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Thing is, if this team wants to have any kind of success, Duchene has to be a top-performer instead of a 3rd liner. If we're playing him on the 3rd line, we're just waiting for this situation to blow up into our faces like it did with Turris.

Rocco Grimaldi won't cut it on the 1st line, Duchene at least potentially might.
Feels to me like we just had our most success in quite a while, with Duchene not even on the 3rd line but rather on IR. :dunno:

Turris ultimately sucked. The "situation" didn't blow up, Turris did. If Duchene wants to follow that path, he can. If instead he wants to dig in, pull up his socks and start contributing, he has every chance to do it right now. Starting on the 3rd line, and then once he shows he's good to go for more, fine he gets more. But let him show he deserves it first. He doesn't deserve it purely based on the number of zeroes on his contract. Just like Turris didn't.

And that spot Grimaldi is holding down for now is obviously belonging to Forsberg or Tolvanen, not Duchene.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
well here we are at a point where it feels like a playin playoff series with 3 straight against the team you're fighting against for the last playoff spot, never quite seen anything like that.

Man this should be nerve wrecking but fun.

I feel like this week will tell the tale as to whether we are making the playoffs. We have 3 straight against the Hawks, while Dallas (who I think is going to be the biggest threat to us) has 4 straight against the Red Wings.

At the very least, we need to take 2 out of 3 from the Hawks, and hope Detroit can steal a win and maybe some OT points.

Worst case scenario we could be almost out by week's end if everything went wrong. On the flip side if we are still at least tied or close to it with Dallas at week's end we still have a great chance.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
And as far as we know it was an injury practice.
See, I didn’t even know that.

the NHL must be a league that targets opponents injuries or something. we know nothing about our best player and why he is out. i thought that may change a bit the more main stream sports betting became.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I feel like this week will tell the tale as to whether we are making the playoffs. We have 3 straight against the Hawks, while Dallas (who I think is going to be the biggest threat to us) has 4 straight against the Red Wings.

At the very least, we need to take 2 out of 3 from the Hawks, and hope Detroit can steal a win and maybe some OT points.

Worst case scenario we could be almost out by week's end if everything went wrong. On the flip side if we are still at least tied or close to it with Dallas at week's end we still have a great chance.
Detroit plays Dallas tough. They have their hands full.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Hopefully so. Really if you look at it Detroit lately has been playing everyone pretty tough- except us- Preds have handled them better than just about anyone
you are correct. they won back to back against Carolina last week then split w/ Chicago.

2 of 3 against Chicago and I believe we are in the playoffs. 1 of 3 is a coin flip. we will win our last matchup against Dallas at home. Bridgestone will be rocking.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
why does johansen get the benefit of the doubt even strength that Duchene doesn’t? Johansen has had great wingers glued to him almost his entire time here. injuries have caused Grimaldi to see some time with johansen lately so that’s not ideal w/ 2 wingers that have very similar games in arvidsson and Grimaldi.

I would like Duchene to be slotted with more talented line mates. We saw where this road took us with turris. It’s early and Duchene just came back from injury but just penciling Duchene in on a 3rd line w/ lunch pail guys is setting him and the organization up for failure.

Last edited:

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Here are the remaining opponents for us, Dallas, and Chicago and the percentage against the top three teams in the division.

Predators
Chicago x3
Florida x2
Dallas x1
Columbus x2
Carolina x2
40% against top 3

Stars
Detroit x4
Carolina x2
Tampa x3
Nashville x1
Florida x1
Chicago x2
46% against top 3

Blackhawks
Nashville x3
Lightning x1
Florida x2
Carolina x3
Dallas x2
55% against top 3

As of now we are sitting in the drivers seat, and f we can take care of business against Chicago we can make their path very difficult.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
why does johansen get the benefit of the doubt even strength that Duchene doesn’t? Johansen has had great wingers glued to him almost his entire time here. injuries have caused Grimaldi to see some time with johansen lately so that’s not ideal w/ 2 wingers with very similar games in arvidsson and Grimaldi.

I would like Duchene to be slotted with more talented line mates. We saw where this road took us with turris. It’s early and he just came back from injury but just penciling Duchene in on a 3rd line w/ lunch pail guys is setting him and the organization up for failure.

I'd be tempted to put Duchene on the wing with Johansen at least until Forsberg or Tolvanen get back. Duchene-Johansen-Arvidsson could actually be a pretty good line.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

Article from vingan declaring Duchene must prove his worth. I don’t totally disagree but I could make that statement about a couple of players from ANY organization at ANY given time. What about johansen? What about Ellis? We were winning with him out as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthNash

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Guess at lines from daily face off. not sure how accurate but they have Josi w/ gudbranson.

Article from vingan declaring Duchene must prove his worth. I don’t totally disagree but I could make that statement about a couple of players from ANY organization at ANY given time. What about johansen? What about Ellis? We were winning with him out as well.

These are the morning skate lines according to Bratten:

Forwards
Rocco Grimaldi - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson
Calle Jarnkrok - Mikael Granlund - Luke Kunin
Nick Cousins - Erik Haula - Matt Duchene
Yakov Trenin - Colton Sissons - Tanner Jeannot
Defense
Roman Josi - Matt Benning
Mattias Ekholm - Ryan Ellis
Ben Harpur - Erik Gudbranson
Goaltenders
Juuse Saros
Pekka Rinne
Note: The Predators have not announced a starting goaltender for tonight's game

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
These are the morning skate lines according to Bratten:

Forwards
Rocco Grimaldi - Ryan Johansen - Viktor Arvidsson
Calle Jarnkrok - Mikael Granlund - Luke Kunin
Nick Cousins - Erik Haula - Matt Duchene
Yakov Trenin - Colton Sissons - Tanner Jeannot
Defense
Roman Josi - Matt Benning
Mattias Ekholm - Ryan Ellis
Ben Harpur - Erik Gudbranson
Goaltenders
Juuse Saros
Pekka Rinne
Note: The Predators have not announced a starting goaltender for tonight's game
gonna delete that part of my post to stop any confusion. I should have known better to think that account would be accurate.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

To me, Duchene and Johansen are basically interchangeable. Unless one really proves themselves worthy of protecting in expansion, we might be better served protecting RV, Forsberg, Kunin, and Jarnkrok/Sissons/Carrier.

Reactions: SouthNash

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
To me, Duchene and Johansen are basically interchangeable. Unless one really proves themselves worthy of protecting in expansion, we might be better served protecting RV, Forsberg, Kunin, and Jarnkrok/Sissons/Carrier.

Team has shown it can win with Johansen.

Duchene has never won anything with any team (rental in Columbus not really core part of the team).

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
you are correct. they won back to back against Carolina last week then split w/ Chicago.

2 of 3 against Chicago and I believe we are in the playoffs. 1 of 3 is a coin flip. we will win our last matchup against Dallas at home. Bridgestone will be rocking.

I don't know- it is hard to make that statement with Dallas probably being the biggest threat. They are technically ahead of us already (points %). Even if we were to sweep Chicago it will still be a dogfight with Dallas the rest of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad