Observations XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I'd be tempted to put Duchene on the wing with Johansen at least until Forsberg or Tolvanen get back. Duchene-Johansen-Arvidsson could actually be a pretty good line.
Duchene has been a consistent scorer in this league. His numbers are not superstar but certainly star power. Everywhere but here. Question is why here? It could be that he got the career deal, landed in his dream market and just quit. But that’s not what I see. He seems to go hard without success. I’d put him on line one; treat him like a star player and see what happends because Preds need a super line in the next 3 games. If it doesn’t work Preds probably don’t make the playoffs.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I know it's a small sample size but the first impression of Grudbanson with the Preds is pretty darn good. I'm not saying he's a top 4 but definitely a good 5/6.
His gaps are tiiiiiiight.
I don't now what his forward skating looks like but he pretty smooth going backwards, the only part that really matters anyway for a 3rd pair.
I have yet to notice him panic skate out of the offensive zone and through the neutral zone. Meaning he just gets into his edges and is up to speed rather than turning away from the play, skating forward to get to speed, then finally turning around to defend. This is one reason his gaps can be so tiiiight.
Obviously, his size and reach have been a positive for him so far.

What am I missing that made everyone say he sucks?

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I know it's a small sample size but the first impression of Grudbanson with the Preds is pretty darn good. I'm not saying he's a top 4 but definitely a good 5/6.
I don't now what his forward skating looks like but he pretty smooth going backwards, the only part that really matters anyway for a 3rd pair.
I have yet to notice him panic skate out of the offensive zone and through the neutral zone. Meaning he just gets into his edges and is up to speed rather than turning away from the play, skating forward to get to speed, then finally turning around to defend. This is one reason his gaps can be so tiiiight.

the hockey community and HF are very much a mob mentality. he also played for ottawa so any defenseman for them is going to look bad. they give up by far the most goals per game at 3.62 as well.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Draft position and salary, probably. Nobody cares if you look like a #5/6 dman if you are making the money that a Tinordi or Harpur or even a Benning do. And those guys have actually been pretty decent too within their limitations. But if you carry the baggage of a #3 overall draft pick and a $4M salary... well the knives tend to come out.

It's early, and we don't have a particularly high bar set on our bottom pair D, but he certainly doesn't look bad at all to me yet either. Carolina was all over our whole team in that crazy 1st last game, I didn't think Gudbranson was any more or less victimized by that pace than anybody else was.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land

On the face of it - OTT is one of those orgs that looks like a toxic culture. So I was against him because of where he was coming from. We dont need that crap here BUT if he keeps up like this, I’ll be quite happy to be incorrect in my snap judgement.

Jul 12, 2007

Haha ..... you know.

Not a flaxen haired cherub.

Jul 12, 2007
On the face of it - OTT is one of those orgs that looks like a toxic culture. So I was against him because of where he was coming from. We dont need that crap here BUT if he keeps up like this, I’ll be quite happy to be incorrect in my snap judgement.
There are good solid players on every team, even OTT, DET, COLU, etc. Though the Wings may have given away their only really promising guy in Mantha.
Gudbranson is a quality vet with decent size who can help with the smash mouth hockey.
He’s a better pickup than Haula, Sbisa, Richardson, Benning, Cousins, etc. any time of the year.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We need Forsberg and Tolvanen back pretty bad or it's gonna be pretty rough even if we do hit the post season.

We gotta get there first and Dallas seems to be getting its act back together and may get Seguin back soon. Long as we play Chicago and Detroit we are fine but that's gonna run out soon enough.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
now that was a fun critical hockey game.

...we are 18-2-0 this year when we score 3 or more goals.
...we have won our last 11 games when we score 3.
...thank you 2 goal saros.
...seeing duchene score did my heart good
...Jarnkrok our leading goal scorer now. lol.

...my new favorite goal scorer is now Jeannot. Just because.
...we had 10 shots in the mid to low slot.
...yet moneypuck had us likely scoring only 2.39 goals (?)
...and giving up 2.89.
...kunin alone could easily have scored 3 goals.

...we hustled, fought, and played hard
...once again our PP could have easily cost us this game.
...almost 8 minutes of PP time and only 4 shots.
...what a huge goal by jeannot.
...i like kunin's game.
...man did we get cycled on for long periods at a time. we simply must be able to clear the puck better and run our breakouts.

Now let's go out and do it again.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Detroit isn’t going to do us any favors here. On the plus side, after 4 games against Detroit the Stars are going to have a gauntlet. Carolina in back to back games, then Tampa, us, Florida, Tampa x2 before closing the season in a back to back against Chicago. So they may catch up or even pass us this week but their stretch run to end the season is a heck of a stretch

Chicago on the other hand has to face us twice more then they start their stretch run of hard games Tampa, Florida x2, Carolina x3, Dallas x2. Both Dallas and Chicago have 2 back to backs left

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Detroit isn’t going to do us any favors here. On the plus side, after 4 games against Detroit the Stars are going to have a gauntlet. Carolina in back to back games, then Tampa, us, Florida, Tampa x2 before closing the season in a back to back against Chicago. So they may catch up or even pass us this week but their stretch run to end the season is a heck of a stretch

Chicago on the other hand has to face us twice more then they start their stretch run of hard games Tampa, Florida x2, Carolina x3, Dallas x2. Both Dallas and Chicago have 2 back to backs left

I sure hope we have things locked down before our last two against Carolina.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
If we tie the Stars, we will likely win the tiebreaker. They are 3 back with 3 games in hand. Our RW is 17 to their 15, and our ROW is 20 to their 16. For us to tie, they'd have to earn 3 points using their games-in-hand. So they'd go 1-1-1, they would still be one behind us in RW, which is the first tiebreaker. If they go 2-0-1 or 3-0-0, they pass us so we wouldn't be tie.

Chicago is 4 points behind with 1 game in hand. Their RW is 14 and their ROW is 19. So any tie with them would have us winning on RW.

This gets real important with so few games left. It's like being ahead by an extra point than the standings show.

The May 1st Stars game is obviously crucial. Win it in regulation, and we're up 5 with them having 3 games in hand. They'd have to win out the games-in-hand to pass us.

Last 2 home games to end the season against the Canes. If we have to win one or two, it will be an epic struggle. Stars close out with 2 against the Hawks. The Stars last 7 games are away from home (Tampa, Preds, FL, Tampa, Tampa, Chicago, Chicago). Good news is, the 3 top teams will be fighting for 1st right down to the end so no giveaway games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad