Observations XXVI full ** v. XXVII started

Status
Not open for further replies.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
It boggles my mind we can't see the problem on our power play. When we make quick passes and are moving to the puck so we can step into it, we score. When we stand still and think we're doing a good job of moving the puck because we're passing it around to another player who is standing still or backing up, we don't score and are relegated to just those outside slappers.

I also don't understand two players fishing for the puck below the goal line on the PK, leaving the man in the slot open for a quick pass out front.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Ok so maybe Lavy wasnt the problem...
Nah, there is no new direction for them to go with and Watson said it best in the post game. We got the same result we've been getting.

It boggles my mind we can't see the problem on our power play. When we make quick passes and are moving to the puck so we can step into it, we score. When we stand still and think we're doing a good job of moving the puck because we're passing it around to another player who is standing still or backing up, we don't score and are relegated to just those outside slappers.

I also don't understand two players fishing for the puck below the goal line on the PK, leaving the man in the slot open for a quick pass out front.
The PK is broken af and needs to calm the eff down and just resort to what they learned as squirts.....play the BOX!!!
But the PP was back to trying to play low to high instead of always out high. The puck was being controlled below circle and goal line for the first time in 20 something games.

You all know I am as big a Rinne fan as they come but dear Lord, he is done like dinner.

Bring up Ingram, put Jusse in the press box, and let Peks have some dignity by being the backup for a while.
I think I said this earlier but I'll still respond with a "Yes Please!!!!!".

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
-i want to see johansen shopped.
-Ingram brought up. No more Rinne in the starter role. Not even 50/50 if we are trying for a playoff spot. he is done. He can be in the starter role if we are going for draft position and just trying to help pad his career wins stats
-Carrier getting a look. I can't handle irwin Weber hamhuis random scrub on our defensive pairs much longer. that's squarely on Poile
-granlund traded for the best offer at the deadline regardless of where we sit in the standings
-smith shopped as well
-leave trenin up for the rest of the year
-give tolvanen a look after the deadline
-I'm even open to shopping forsberg. I am just not impressed on what he does night in and night out at both ends of the ice
-there is clearly something bad wrong with this group of players. we've tried it long enough. we need to make some big changes. i think the hynes hiring will be what gets Poile fired. In the meantime, we need to take a deep hard look at everyone that qualifies as the core group on this roster not named Josi, arvidsson, bonino, smith, grimaldi.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's a disappointing response to the coaching change by the players. Hynes must be wondering what he got himself into. I hope he has a case of Red Bulls handy he is going to have an incredibly busy day. Has to find a way to talk to everybody, try to plant some seeds, and then get ready for a game in Chicago. It's not even really possible in these circumstances to expect to get any changes into the gameplan. Best he can probably do is set the lineup differently if he saw anything there that he wants to tweak. But it's going to take time and he's going to have to work the players hard in their off days to effect change in the midst of the season.

Anyway, this is the process that was needed. Had to try the coaching change first and let it play out. Then if the players still don't respond, Poile knows where to look next. It's just too bad they wasted 4 months reaching this point in the process. Because they still have a good 4 months to go and may run out of runway.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
-I'm even open to shopping forsberg. I am just not impressed on what he does night in and night out at both ends of the ice

It kills me to say it because he's been one of my favorite players since he came up but I'm getting close to that point too. He really seems like he wants to be playing for the hockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters rather than playing solid hockey anymore. It makes me want to lose my mind everytime he tries some stupid puck trick instead of making the simple effective play. Case in point last night when he had his defender beat on the rush and instead of making a power move inside he goes between his legs, gets himself stuck at the goalline, and rockets a terrible pass to Watson.

It's a disappointing response to the coaching change by the players. Hynes must be wondering what he got himself into. I hope he has a case of Red Bulls handy he is going to have an incredibly busy day. Has to find a way to talk to everybody, try to plant some seeds, and then get ready for a game in Chicago. It's not even really possible in these circumstances to expect to get any changes into the gameplan. Best he can probably do is set the lineup differently if he saw anything there that he wants to tweak. But it's going to take time and he's going to have to work the players hard in their off days to effect change in the midst of the season.

Anyway, this is the process that was needed. Had to try the coaching change first and let it play out. Then if the players still don't respond, Poile knows where to look next. It's just too bad they wasted 4 months reaching this point in the process. Because they still have a good 4 months to go and may run out of runway.

I too had really hoped we would see a much better response out of the guys. It's been like this much of the season but it really seems like these guys have completely forgotten how to play good fundamental hockey. They never make any tape to tape passes, they overcomplicate every play they make, and they constantly get caught puck chasing especially on the PK.
My hope is that Hynes and the rest of the staff just go back to as nine_inch_fang said just playing squirt level hockey. That's essentially what the Blues started doing after their coaching change and how Vegas played in their Cup run so it can be very successful at the NHL level. It does require the team to play at a full effort level 100% of the time which has been lacking this season as well.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
If you are Hynes that's what you've got to do until you break this mess that McCarthy has had them trying to do.

Smith said the other night in Anaheim that they turned things around in the 3rd when they stopped thinking about the system and just played hockey. It was pretty simple really, one of the forwards or Dmen got control, the others went to the net.

You're really not seeing that same thing from the 1st or 2nd lines. All of those passes to the front and most of the time no one is there.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014

I was only able to watch one period and the highlights, but this one was thing I paid attention to. Shouldn't be surprised anymore I guess. Not the first or even the second time we've seen half of the PK unit at or behind goal line when we're scored against.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It kills me to say it because he's been one of my favorite players since he came up but I'm getting close to that point too. He really seems like he wants to be playing for the hockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters rather than playing solid hockey anymore. It makes me want to lose my mind everytime he tries some stupid puck trick instead of making the simple effective play. Case in point last night when he had his defender beat on the rush and instead of making a power move inside he goes between his legs, gets himself stuck at the goalline, and rockets a terrible pass to Watson.
I wonder how much Laviolette used video. I wonder how much Hynes does. Maybe we have a bunch of visual learners. If you have plays like that, hopefully somebody on the staff latches onto them and they point them out. My kid is like that. You can talk to him all day long about what he did wrong, and he will not understand. He will think what he did was right and he saw things completely differently in the moment. But show him the video to go along with it and it's a totally different story. Maybe show Forsberg those dumb tricks. Show them the PP passing the puck around the edges ineffectually. I don't know. I guess they've probably already tried that. Hopefully Hynes finds a new way to get through to the players anyway. And if it comes right down to it, sit them. MAKE them hear what he's saying. Some players just had no accountability under Lavy. Forsberg or Johansen could do dumb plays all day long or the PP group can toss the puck around and nobody would ever get dropped in the lineup or sat. Same guys would roll out for their next shift, their next PP, their next PK, no matter how badly the last one was fumbled. Eventually the last communication tool the coach has at his disposal is to sit guys. Players don't like that. But if you can't get through to them and you've tried everything else, that's the next step.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I just hope Hynes has the sense to start protecting the front of our net. Everyone else in the league is collapsing 3-4 players around the net every time the puck gets close, but the Predators have some allergy to the crease at both ends. There was one sequence in the 3rd last night where two Predators had chances to stickhandle and shoot down low and Rask never even moved the whole time because the Bruins defense collapsed and give the Preds just a single shooting lane. Eventually the puck came in and just hit Rask who fell on it. If that happened on the other end, we might be lucky to have one defenseman halfheartedly swinging a stick in the direction of the puck carrier while Rinne was scrambling around trying to guess where the shot might come in.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
-i want to see johansen shopped.
-Ingram brought up. No more Rinne in the starter role. Not even 50/50 if we are trying for a playoff spot. he is done. He can be in the starter role if we are going for draft position and just trying to help pad his career wins stats

Did I miss something? What did Ingram do to make people believe he's a legit #1 NHL goaltender? I understand Rinne and Saros have struggled, but what is it that makes us think Ingram will be better, especially behind our train wreck defense?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Did I miss something? What did Ingram do to make people believe he's a legit #1 NHL goaltender? I understand Rinne and Saros have struggled, but what is it that makes us think Ingram will be better?

He's done very well in the AHL this year and our goalies are playing bad. I think it's less that anyone think he's guaranteed starter level and more of a last ditch effort to try and fix the issue. I also think that it's sort of the backup quarterback effect where people just like him because he's someone different.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Did I miss something? What did Ingram do to make people believe he's a legit #1 NHL goaltender? I understand Rinne and Saros have struggled, but what is it that makes us think Ingram will be better?
Well, he's been an AHL All-Star two years running, at 21 and 22, which is something. He has been on good teams, though. It's just a reflection of our desperation in general. I don't think anybody really believes that he will be better. He probably won't be. But hey, we've tried the Berube. Now the Binnington? :dunno:

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
He's done very well in the AHL this year and our goalies are playing bad. I think it's less that anyone think he's guaranteed starter level and more of a last ditch effort to try and fix the issue. I also think that it's sort of the backup quarterback effect where people just like him because he's someone different.
this pretty much sums it up.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Did I miss something? What did Ingram do to make people believe he's a legit #1 NHL goaltender? I understand Rinne and Saros have struggled, but what is it that makes us think Ingram will be better, especially behind our train wreck defense?

It's something like this but not so much a last ditch or back up quarterback thing for me. There needs to be some kind of pressure on them to let them, mostly Saros, know that there are or at least could be another option down on the farm. Why are they the only position that is free from scrutiny?

The only reason I've brought it up is because I'm hoping this new "no nonsense" coach will start to hold players accountable up and down the line up. And this is a good way to make that impression with ice time for the goalies.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Well, he's been an AHL All-Star two years running, at 21 and 22, which is something. He has been on good teams, though. It's just a reflection of our desperation in general. I don't think anybody really believes that he will be better. He probably won't be. But hey, we've tried the Berube. Now the Binnington? :dunno:

Interesting note about Ingram and Binnington. Both were drafted in the 3rd round, 88th pick overall. Kind of crazy. Binnington in 2011/ Ingram in 2016.

They have very similar AHL numbers, both very good.

I mean, you never know when a goalie is going to emerge at the NHL level, but there are tons of examples of guys with Ingram's resume becoming legitimate NHL goalies.

It would not shock me at all if Ingram winds up being a #1 in the NHL- the question is- will he ever get that chance here? I mean, if the Blues had been winning all year last year and Allen was playing well, Binnington would probably still be in the AHL today- you just never know..

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Interesting note about Ingram and Binnington. Both were drafted in the 3rd round, 88th pick overall. Kind of crazy. Binnington in 2011/ Ingram in 2016.

They have very similar AHL numbers, both very good.

I mean, you never know when a goalie is going to emerge at the NHL level, but there are tons of examples of guys with Ingram's resume becoming legitimate NHL goalies.

It would not shock me at all if Ingram winds up being a #1 in the NHL- the question is- will he ever get that chance here? I mean, if the Blues had been winning all year last year and Allen was playing well, Binnington would probably still be in the AHL today- you just never know..
I would like to think Ingram has a natural chance here. Assuming he keeps up his strong AHL showing. But it's hard to tell. The natural progression of Saros becoming the #1 and Rinne sailing gracefully into the sunset against the backdrop of the Seattle expansion would have created an opportunity for Ingram to ascend. But if he does too well in the AHL, is there any risk of Seattle taking him? If he comes up for a cameo earlier and does a passable job does that make him more likely to get expansion notice? Is our goaltending going to continue struggling to the point we make a trade to bring in a new starter which disrupts everything? Pretty much wide open at this point. :dunno:

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
An observation from last night is that the Bruins were a calm methodical team. They knew they were going to score goals and they knew they were going to win the game. Each shift the players went over the boards, put in work and did their jobs. Which is vastly different than the chaos you see from the Predators. They live and die with every missed scoring chance wondering if they'll ever get another one. They chase the puck around like puppy dogs because they're "trying"....ugh. I hope Hynes is the guy to change that.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think the team has until the All-Star game until i'm ready to take the "Nobody is Safe" route.

Right now I'm taking a step back and letting Hynes put his system into place. After that, if there's no improvement, listen to offers on every player on the roster. Trade the UFAs to be for best return possible. Trade anyone else if the return is right.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

I mean with Saros/Rinne stopping .892/.894 of the shots face and allowing 3.25/3.06 goals per game the logic is there for can he do much worse? Worst comes to worst he doesn't do any better or he gets pulled after 4 goals against and gets sent back down. At this point, i'm ready to grasp at a few straws to see if it'll turn things around quick.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I mean with Saros/Rinne stopping .892/.894 of the shots face and allowing 3.25/3.06 goals per game the logic is there for can he do much worse? Worst comes to worst he doesn't do any better or he gets pulled after 4 goals against and gets sent back down. At this point, i'm ready to grasp at a few straws to see if it'll turn things around quick.

Personally, I don't see many of the goals Saros gives up as ones he "should have had." Most of them are goals where had he gotten to it, we'd be raving about the incredible save. In short, the defense bears more blame than him. Certainly not all of them, but a lot of them.

I've seen Rinne give up more that make go "really?"

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Personally, I don't see many of the goals Saros gives up as ones he "should have had." Most of them are goals where had he gotten to it, we'd be raving about the incredible save. In short, the defense bears more blame than him. Certainly not all of them, but a lot of them.

I mentioned in the GDT the other night the Kings announcers described him as looking "leaky." Pretty accurate, IMO.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville

It's really been a mixed bag of both for Saros this year but I if Hynes gets the team defense set we'll have a clearer picture of where Saros is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad