Observations XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
Back to some actual in-depth hockey talk. Does anyone know if the fancy stat discussed in the link ever became something that is tracked? I haven't found any other info on this type of thing but I think it could be a valuable metric for defensmen and corroborate some of what we see on the ice.

Measuring defense

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
The last week or so has only reinforced my opinion that this team's leadership issues are on the bench not behind it. If they we're just looking completely lost and disinterested, then yes I would be on the Lavi needs to go bandwagon. That is not what I am seeing though, this to me is a team that struggles to maintain focus throughout a whole game. They go through stretches where they play either selfishly or selflessly, but can't seem to do either one for a whole 60 minutes. I see that as a lack of a Fisher or Weber type that was the toughest guy in the room, so when he spoke you had to listen. Not sure Josi, Ellis, Ekholm, Forsberg, or Johansen are that guy or have the personality to call someone out when they need to. IMO this team needs a "heart and soul" type player who has enough clout and respect in the locker room to get the guys to rally around him when things get tough, someone who is hungry for a Cup and sees the potential in this group.
What is the number 1 motivator for a player:
Stanley Cup?
Big Contract?
Seriously.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Back to some actual in-depth hockey talk. Does anyone know if the fancy stat discussed in the link ever became something that is tracked? I haven't found any other info on this type of thing but I think it could be a valuable metric for defensmen and corroborate some of what we see on the ice.

Measuring defense

Doesn't appear to include this season yet, but that data for last season of all these stats. It appears that this guy Corey Szanjder does the tracking for it, but you have to be a member of his Patreon to see the raw data.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Have you ever seen Shea Weber glare at someone? That would say more than any speech or pep talk he could give. You also had Fisher on the team all but the first half a season that Weber was captain, who from all accounts could be very vocal in the locker room.
So we're on a losing streak because no one on our team has a mean glare?

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I still think the whole captain leading the team to victory is just a trope that doesn't really mean much. Maybe if you have a very youthful team having some veteran guys to teach them how to be pros can be helpful but that is not the case on our team. Most of the players on our team have 5+ seasons in the league including numerous playoff appearances. If they need a guy to motivate them to play to their top level than we have much deeper problems with the makeup of our team than leadership.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I still think the whole captain leading the team to victory is just a trope that doesn't really mean much. Maybe if you have a very youthful team having some veteran guys to teach them how to be pros can be helpful but that is not the case on our team. Most of the players on our team have 5+ seasons in the league including numerous playoff appearances. If they need a guy to motivate them to play to their top level than we have much deeper problems with the makeup of our team than leadership.
This is my feeling too. And I'm admittedly a little worried that our core might indeed be a little on the laissez-faire side of things. The observation that they don't seem to be great at self-motivating or staying focused for 60 minutes may be valid. But I don't think it's something you fix just by bringing a steely glare into the room. The team picked up Boyle, Simmonds, and of course McLeod down the stretch last year. Made no difference whatsoever, right? End of the day it's going to be our current top 8 or so players who are going to have to decide just how badly they want to win and how to elevate their play to ensure that happens.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Haven't spent time looking at other team threads but I bet every fan base feels that way. Some players not producing, some 'lazy', as Roseanna Roseannadanna would remind is '"It's always something".

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
So we're on a losing streak because no one on our team has a mean glare?

I would say that there is a lack of accountability in the locker room, whether that be mean glares or moving words. The last year or so when I watch this team, I see a bunch who when they play for each other are almost unstoppable and when they don't they can get embarrassed by anyone. Look at our Saturday record at home lately. Bridgestone should be one of, if not the toughest place to play on a Saturday night. The players used to take pride in that, they clearly don't right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There are probably pros and cons with having our roster so nicely set up for the forseeable future too. Pro - Poile doesn't have to worry about losing core players to free agency or going crazy trying to find replacements. Con - well, with so many players locked up they aren't playing for contracts anymore so it has to be somewhat higher risk of complacency setting in.

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
What is the number 1 motivator for a player:
Stanley Cup?
Big Contract?
Seriously.

I'm not sure there is one, it would depend on the player and it probably changes as they get older. Just like almost any other profession, some guys are laser focused and driven to achieve their goals, and some guys are just earning a living.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I would say that there is a lack of accountability in the locker room, whether that be mean glares or moving words. The last year or so when I watch this team, I see a bunch who when they play for each other are almost unstoppable and when they don't they can get embarrassed by anyone. Look at our Saturday record at home lately. Bridgestone should be one of, if not the toughest place to play on a Saturday night. The players used to take pride in that, they clearly don't right now.
clearly

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There doesn't seem to be much sense of urgency... on the ice or in the stands these days. 18th in the league and out of the playoffs right now. Caveat that as you like, it should be at least a little noteworthy.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I wish I had the ability to recognize the lack of accountability in the locker room from outside...

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
this was painful to read to catch up on.
I hate reading the boards after a loss. I understand we're all bigger fans than the average person or we wouldn't be on a message board devoted to this team, but man. Some of us have zero sense of perspective. (Possibly including me.)

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
What is going on with Shea Weber that has me seeing more and more chatter recently on the recapture?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What is going on with Shea Weber that has me seeing more and more chatter recently on the recapture?
Did that come up again? It was a hot topic for a little while in the summer. I made my avatar based on that thread on trade board! :) I guess for us, it's just all to the good if Weber just keeps playing well. It sounds like he's playing well, anyway. He's an easy guy to cheer for, even without any other considerations. But the longer he plays and does well, I'd think the less likely it is that anybody brings up the recapture. Not that I have any fear of the recapture - the NHL will quash that in an instant if it ever becomes a thing that threatens us. But I'm still cheering for Shea either way.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I hate reading the boards after a loss. I understand we're all bigger fans than the average person or we wouldn't be on a message board devoted to this team, but man. Some of us have zero sense of perspective. (Possibly including me.)
I dunno... where's the "perspective" that being 18th in the league and sitting outside a playoff spot is a good thing, not worth commenting on?

I know the races are tight and we just need a couple wins to say, hey, we're 14th and sitting in last playoff spot. Yay. But really is that quite what this team is supposed to be built for?

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
Recapture penalty came up because Vancouver is going to get stuck with Bobby Lou’s penalty since he has joined the Florida FO.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I dunno... where's the "perspective" that being 18th in the league and sitting outside a playoff spot is a good thing, not worth commenting on?

I know the races are tight and we just need a couple wins to say, hey, we're 14th and sitting in last playoff spot. Yay. But really is that quite what this team is supposed to be built for?

7-10 days ago saw this team sitting near the top of conference standings. Going 1-2-1 on a four game road trip results in a dip in the standings. The past two seasons demonstrated that winning the division, or even the President's Trophy, isn't an indicator of playoff success. We hold 1-3 games in hand on every team ahead of us in the standings right now meaning that at the 20 game mark the Preds can sit anywhere from 3rd through 10th in the conference depending on how we, and other teams do.

The team needs to address the PK and overall team defense. Well, 5on5 goals allowed aren't stellar but only five teams have allowed more goals while down a man so far.

A PP clipping along at over 20% and goals per game that rank 2nd in the league as of right now aren't issues. The team leads the league in 5on5 goals.

Then there is they by period scoring which is brain numbing and impossible to rationally explain.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Tbh his recapture isn't a killer. Weber's could be so big it could cover the entire portion from the floor to the ceiling. It's why I think the NHL won't let is happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad