Observations XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
My Updated Trade Recommendations:

Seek out trade offers for anyone not named: Forsberg, Josi, Fabbro, Tolvanen, Rinne (sentimental reasons), and Trenin

Listen to offers and make the trade if the offer is too good to pass up: Josi, Forsberg, Fabbro

This team needs a serious retool. As much as trading Forsberg would hurt, by the time we get to being competitive I don't think he's going to be in his prime anymore and we need to start thinking about how to make the best team possible in 3 years.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
There's no point on our side to wait any longer on shipping out the excess baggage players, anyway. Playoff odds are down to 1.7% after last night. Winning two in a row against Columbus isn't going to put any dent in the situation. So might just as well get on with things.

Now, that said, other teams might have Cap reasons to want to wait. I don't know if our team will want to pinch pennies and not retain on players. But if they don't mind retaining, just go ahead and get the obvious extras out the door. Haula and Granlund would be first up. Just get our picks for them at least, and make that lineup room for Tolvanen and Trenin. Keep listening on the other spare parts, see if there's a deal.

There is no way to salvage THIS season. So what you have to do is start imagining what next year's roster should look like. Get the new coach in and start in on that project. NOW.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Those two shifts Forsberg and Duchene had together were mesmerizing.

But no, we insist on putting Granlund on the middle, where he hasn't player in over 5 years, and putting Duchene with Jarnkrok and Grimaldi, who are solid bottom-sixers but in no way should they be playing in the top-six regularly.
The line blender is just throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks. Ironman had a single productive game, so lock in that line. Goalvanen has a PP goal, so lock in that line. A line of wingers has some success, so lock in that line.

With another loss to Detroit, it's probably back to the line randomizer.

The randomizer, tosses the names in its virtual hat, and gives:

1. Forsberg, Haula, Kunin
2. Trenin, Johansen, Tolvanen
3. Granlund, Duchene, Richardson
4. Cousins, Sissons, Arvidsson

Press boxed: Grimaldi and Jarnkrok.

Reactions: bdub24

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think they might actually fire Hynes if we go 0-2 this weekend. It'll be too late, but it'll be good for the future.

Start selling whenever you can. Granlund, Haula, Richardson etc. Adios amigos.

Jul 12, 2007
I've lost track, but I think Hynes actually trotted out Grimaldi/Duchene/Arvidsson as a line at one point already. By comparison, Trenin/Johansen/Tolvanen doesn't look bad. :D
Can there be a Tolvinen Tomasino Trenin line (can any of them C ?) ?
T3 ! TNTNT ! The consonant line !

Reactions: bdub24

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
Next time one of the announcers talks about Preds needing puck luck I'll be remembering this game where the 30th team won 5 - 2 and hit 4(?) posts. Last night about any team could have put 10 in the Pred's net. There is not enough luck in any form that could have saved them last night.

They could not score enough if this had a sheet of ice in front of it.

upload_2021-2-26_11-21-49.png

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Offensive impotence.

..Arvy has not scored a point in his last 9 games, or 210 shifts, in around 18 minutes of ice time per game, including lots of PP time.
..Johansen has played 12 games. in those 12 games he has not scored a single point even strength. not a single point. An 82 game pace of 0 goals/27 points
..Duchene. 3 goals, 8 points in 19 games. That's a normal full season pace of 12 goals/33 points.
..as a team we are now shooting 7.15%, 30th in the league.
..we are generating virtually zero odd man rushes. has to be the fewest in the league.
..based on shot locations Money puck thinks we should be the 7th best scoring even strength team in the league. and 6th best PP scoring team in the league.
..yet we are the worst in the league at creating high danger scoring chances.
..we are averaging 2.29 goals per game. 29th in the league. Which would be the absolute lowest goals per game in franchise history.
..we have scored 16 goals in the first two periods combined. By far the fewest in the league. while allowing 43, the 3rd most in the league.
..we have not led a single game at the end of 2 periods. Only team in the league of course.
..we are 0-3 in the games we were tied at the end of 2.

We aren't just getting beaten. We aren't really competitive at this point. And it's not only losing hockey, it's boring losing hockey.

Just mind-numbing, completely depressing stuff.

And yet I still firmly believe with the right coach, the whole situation would instantly improve. This roster has been underperforming for awhile, but nothing close to what we are seeing now. The Chicago Blackhawks do not have a better roster than we do, and yet look at their freaking record.

I will just repeat what I have been saying- my only goal for this season is for Hynes to be gone. If it takes not winning a single game the rest of the year so be it....

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
My Updated Trade Recommendations:

Seek out trade offers for anyone not named: Forsberg, Josi, Fabbro, Tolvanen, Rinne (sentimental reasons), and Trenin

Listen to offers and make the trade if the offer is too good to pass up: Josi, Forsberg, Fabbro

This team needs a serious retool. As much as trading Forsberg would hurt, by the time we get to being competitive I don't think he's going to be in his prime anymore and we need to start thinking about how to make the best team possible in 3 years.

We need some good vets to play with our young guys, otherwise we'll just look like pre McDavid Edmonton, remember when we gave them Derek Roy and he was a godsend for them because he was an actual NHLer?

Would definitely have to be a great offer to get Forsberg, unless he's adamant about leaving when his contract is up.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
We need some good vets to play with our young guys, otherwise we'll just look like pre McDavid Edmonton, remember when we gave them Derek Roy and he was a godsend for them because he was an actual NHLer?

Would definitely have to be a great offer to get Forsberg, unless he's adamant about leaving when his contract is up.

We'd never be able to trade everyone that's underperforming. I imagine we are stuck with Duchene and Joey. Forsberg should stay unless it's a can't miss opportunity. Arvidsson should only be traded if the price is right. Haula, Cousins, Grimaldi, Richardson are sort of dime a dozen players. Sissons could be replaced internally for cheaper. Jarnkrok is a very cap efficient contract so we might be able to get a good return for him.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Observation: Funny to me how Tolvanen is suddenly a NHL forward that we need to give more time on ice and not be shopping.
It's like a flag blowing in the wind around here.
do you disagree with that? As you already know, you usually keep the young guys on cheap contracts that are developing during a rebuild. i am really happy with tolvanen’s progression. some of his reads with the pucks have been as good as anyone’s not named forsberg.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
do you disagree with that? As you already know, you usually keep the young guys on cheap contracts that are developing during a rebuild. i am really happy with tolvanen’s progression. some of his reads with the pucks have been as good as anyone’s not named forsberg.
Don't disagree at all I've been impressed with his game. Especially since over the last year or so from posts here I would have thought he was a soft munchkin that had no idea how to play hockey at the NHL level.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Observation: Funny to me how Tolvanen is suddenly a NHL forward that we need to give more time on ice and not be shopping.
It's like a flag blowing in the wind around here.
A player that was average/mediocre at the AHL level showing some flashes at the NHL level is likely to change some people's perspective. That's not necessarily kneejerk/fickleness, it's just new data that doesn't necessarily correlate with previous expectations.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Don't disagree at all I've been impressed with his game. Especially since over the last year or so from posts here I would have thought he was a soft munchkin that had no idea how to play hockey at the NHL level.
In his previous appearances with us, his mental clock was ticking too fast. i guess that’s normal. he looks much calmer with the puck now and is actually seeing the ice. i have to be thankful for the positives my mind allows me to see.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Just mind-numbing, completely depressing stuff.

And yet I still firmly believe with the right coach, the whole situation would instantly improve. This roster has been underperforming for awhile, but nothing close to what we are seeing now. The Chicago Blackhawks do not have a better roster than we do, and yet look at their freaking record.

I will just repeat what I have been saying- my only goal for this season is for Hynes to be gone. If it takes not winning a single game the rest of the year so be it....
While it definitely would seem likely to improve, I'm also a little glad for the likely re-evaluation of some of our "core" pieces that is undoubtedly going on as a result of this mess. Depending on some of the moves that may be made (not sure why I'm getting my hopes up), something positive in terms of the team structure/make-up going forward may come out of this interregnum.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
We'd never be able to trade everyone that's underperforming. I imagine we are stuck with Duchene and Joey. Forsberg should stay unless it's a can't miss opportunity. Arvidsson should only be traded if the price is right. Haula, Cousins, Grimaldi, Richardson are sort of dime a dozen players. Sissons could be replaced internally for cheaper. Jarnkrok is a very cap efficient contract so we might be able to get a good return for him.

I think it's time to seriously consider trading Arvidsson tbh. He can still get a good return and I don't know how much longer he's going to be in his prime for. I'd rather trade him then hang on to him for too long and hope comes out of a rebuild still playing at a high level.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I think it's time to seriously consider trading Arvidsson tbh. He can still get a good return and I don't know how much longer he's going to be in his prime for. I'd rather trade him then hang on to him for too long and hope comes out of a rebuild still playing at a high level.

That's crossed my mind as well. With his last injury, i just don't know how much more he's got to give but at the same time he's not being utilized in the same way that made him successful to begin with so I don't know how much of it's usage

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
In his previous appearances with us, his mental clock was ticking too fast. i guess that’s normal. he looks much calmer with the puck now and is actually seeing the ice. i have to be thankful for the positives my mind allows me to see.
Haha, you darn pessimists.

I guess I'm just poking fun and the waxing and waning attitudes and "analysis" that people can have on team personnel to suit their (or popular) opinion. If Poile had traded Tolvanen for picks last season like these boards and local radio wanted the same people would be screaming about what a horrible trade it was. Same damn thing with Fiala, he was the whipping boy of a majority of people but now the same people seem to want him back and can't believe Poile would have done such a thing.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty

I guess I'm just poking fun and the waxing and waning attitudes and "analysis" that people can have on team personnel to suit their (or popular) opinion. If Poile had traded Tolvanen for picks last season like these boards and local radio wanted the same people would be screaming about what a horrible trade it was. Same damn thing with Fiala, he was the whipping boy of a majority of people but now the same people seem to want him back and can't believe Poile would have done such a thing.

Some of us liked Fiala all along and Tolvanen too, and still expect a rocky road as development isn't a linear curve.

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011

go back and read the fiala/granlund trade thread. i didn’t like it from day one. but i totally get what you mean by how message boards (and life) works.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't get some of the gushing over Fiala now to be honest, 6+1 is a very imbalanced player and he's skating 17 mins. Seems more like he had a hot streak after being traded (ala Turris) but has settled back into the player we knew here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad