Observations XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
I really hope Tolvanen starts to gain some confidence and keeps improving. That shot on the opposite side from Forsberg on the power play could be exactly what the PP needs. I've been surprised by how noticeable he's been in the defensive zone, in a good way - he seems to be really putting in a lot of effort back-checking. I'm cautiously optimistic that he might stick in the lineup. He still seems a little tentative in the offensive zone, like he's still feeling his way out and not always quite sure where to be going, but he looked more willing to shoot in this game and that's a good thing.

Had a nice little pick pocket/stick lift last night in the offensive zone. I have noticed it a few times already this season.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Exactly just need to wait until after the expansion draft to sign him
Yep, I think that's in the bag now. Unless he himself is ready to hang them up, but I don't see why he would.

Our question will switch over to what to do with Saros. With a lot of goalies on the UFA market this summer, do you try to sign one for a 3-year deal to tide us over and replace Saros? Or do you keep riding the Saros/Rinne tandem again next year?

Not looking for any answer just yet - let the season play out first and see where we stand when the dust settles. But returning Rinne is a lock. We will just have to see now about how Saros plays the rest of the way.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Tolvanen, like every other goal scorer in the game, is streaky. I've watched him since the draft (excluding time in the AHL) and when he's quiet he can't get anything done, he can't find a way to be useful.

I'm still not completely sold on him becoming a regular NHL-player as I can only see him in a scoring role but he's given me hope in these first few games that he's played.

I hope last night ignites him cause when he gets hot he can fill the net.

Reactions: predfan24

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Tolvanen, like every other goal scorer in the game, is streaky. I've watched him since the draft (excluding time in the AHL) and when he's quiet he can't get anything done, he can't find a way to be useful.

I'm still not completely sold on him becoming a regular NHL-player as I can only see him in a scoring role but he's given me hope in these first few games that he's played.

I hope last night ignites him cause when he gets hot he can fill the net.

I hope he pans out obviously, but I’m still not sold. I’m not sure he can overcome his size, and skating issues. He seems like one of those guys who looks real good in a pick up game where there is lots of space but as soon as larger more agile guys play him aggressively he struggles. On a team that had higher level playmakers and good PP I could see him thrive, however not sure this is the place.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It probably won't mean anything in the big picture, and you definitely have to factor in the competition- but that is 2 straight games where we completely dominated the game. Even though it was 0-0 going into the third, we were in control of the scoring chances, expected goals, etc.

Moneypuck expect to win was at around 90% on each of the last 2 games. It is rare to see any NHL game that lopsided and I am willing to bet we haven't had 2 straight like that in quite awhile.

One other note on Detroit- last night just once again makes our play against them in Bridgestone one of the most baffling things I have ever seen in sports. We were lucky to not get swept at home against them last week, including being completely dominated on Saturday, and have not beaten them at home in years. Yet we have regularly played well and won several times in Detroit over that same span. It is mind-boggline.

Sometimes sports just doesn't make any sense...

Jul 12, 2007
I hope he pans out obviously, but I’m still not sold. I’m not sure he can overcome his size, and skating issues. He seems like one of those guys who looks real good in a pick up game where there is lots of space but as soon as larger more agile guys play him aggressively he struggles. On a team that had higher level playmakers and good PP I could see him thrive, however not sure this is the place.
He may just be a AAAA player.

Good in the AAA minors, can’t get it right in the big leagues.

We probably have more of them than anybody else.

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Listening to Pekka answer post-game questions is good for the soul. Next time you get down on humanity, dial up a post-game press conference and listen to Pekka. He answers questions like very few athletes. So thoughtful and with great perspective. So many of us fail to live in the present. We're either depressed about something in the past, or worried about something in the future. Pekka is living in the present and truly appreciating his lot in life right now. Rooting for him is such a joy.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Listening to Pekka answer post-game questions is good for the soul. Next time you get down on humanity, dial up a post-game press conference and listen to Pekka. He answers questions like very few athletes. So thoughtful and with great perspective. So many of us fail to live in the present. We're either depressed about something in the past, or worried about something in the future. Pekka is living in the present and truly appreciating his lot in life right now. Rooting for him is such a joy.
I hope the find something for him in the organization after hockey. He's too much of an asset not to try really hard to keep.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Canes and Panthers coming up next week. We'll have a good idea then if our Perds have improved or if they took advantage of weaker competition.

We still absolutely have to take two of these next three games at an absolute minimum to even think we might be competitive

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I feel like one of the things that has been noticeable about him is he is able to get into positions for shots/opportunities, at least whenever I've been able to watch. That goes a long way toward making up for lack of skating/size.

Jul 12, 2007
We still absolutely have to take two of these next three games at an absolute minimum to even think we might be competitive
We have a better roster than all of our fellow bottom half buddies, but about 50 % less motivation / output. That’s too bad. There’s no answer besides players and/or coaches not sucking at their jobs.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

I've been a die hard sports fan for a LONG time- have favorite teams in every sport. And for me Pekka just may be the most likable athlete I've ever pulled for. (One of the others that comes to mind is Dale Murphy)

Whenever the day comes that Pekka's jersey is retired it going to be an incredible scene........

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY

They have to go .750, 3 of 4. The game vs. Detroit is mandatory. If not, sell.

EDIT: BUT the Preds are 4 wins from a playoff stop. It's early but still.

Last edited:

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm not even sure what I'm expecting from this season anymore. I certainly don't think we're going to make the playoffs, at least not as long as Hynes is the head coach.

I guess I want to see the younger guys driven into the lineup and having success and seeing the overall picture of who are worth keeping and protecting in the ED and who can be thrown to the wolves.

I don't think it's the end of the world if we just punt this year, sell off the UFAs, get rid of the dead weight in the summer, draft high and come back stronger next year. Blues missed the playoffs in 2018 and won the Cup the next year, Tampa Bay missed in -17 and won last year.

Jul 12, 2007
Pekka’s a nice guy, would make for a good coach or something.
But just on a tangent, does anybody remember when he got beat up or something like that, and couldn’t come to the US for an extra year ? That was very odd.

Vokoun was a heckuva nice fella too.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad