Observations XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I know small sample size, bad team whatever but Harpur looked serviceable. I’d really like to see Allard in that defensive defenseman role.
It was a good game for Harpur in an opportune moment, I figure. Tinordi has done likewise in the past. I am not sold on these small samples that either one of them is any kind of answer for us. Glad that they have a good game when they do. But ultimately, they got thrown on the reject heap by other teams for "reasons". :dunno:

Forsbergforloop

May 30, 2008
Oahu
I had hopes for Cousins.... but he is not ready for prime time.
Idk, I don’t think we were expecting any kind of offense out of Cousins. I’ll be danged if he isn’t the most effective agitator we’ve had. If there was any resemblance of a power play, I think we’d be singing his praises based on his performance in those Tampa games.

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Idk, I don’t think we were expecting any kind of offense out of Cousins. I’ll be danged if he isn’t the most effective agitator we’ve had. If there was any resemblance of a power play, I think we’d be singing his praises based on his performance in those Tampa games.
I also loved it when he really seemed to get Huberdeau's goat that game. We need somebody to just be a total dirtbag like that. Once again... just because Hynes decided to overuse him based on ?training camp scrimmages?... that's not really on Cousins. He's not going to refuse PP time if the coach sends him out there. That's a coaching problem, not a Cousins problem.

Reactions: bdub24
Jul 12, 2007
It was a good game for Harpur in an opportune moment, I figure. Tinordi has done likewise in the past. I am not sold on these small samples that either one of them is any kind of answer for us. Glad that they have a good game when they do. But ultimately, they got thrown on the reject heap by other teams for "reasons". :dunno:
It’s interesting, the backstory on Tinordi is really just the opposite. Still a lot of people in MON mad about how they called him a great prospect, first rounder, lots of talent, father had a good career, and they kept him buried in the minors for 3-4 years before discarding him.
He’s not your typical big stiff.

Jul 12, 2007
Agreed, I did the Poile career analysis and his record screams get all the 1st but I am not sold on this draft.

The Canadian quarantine changes prices. It would be hilarious if Forsberg were to get a couple of younger Forsbergs so Erat -> Forsberg -> stars of the future.
If the rest of our core guys were playing well, you really could get something for Josi or Forsberg that could put us in the finals. 2 or 3 actual good players, or a 1 and 2 pick. Maybe get a good goalie out of it.
Of course the team we trade him to would probably play us in the finals, as all they need is one more sniper / scorer to go all the way, and can afford to pay a lot for it.
And of course you probably can’t trust Hynes / Poile to get anything out of the new players, or the picks.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Nor Haula, Sbisa, Richardson, Trenin, Tolvinen, Sissons, Grimaldi, Kunin, etc.
But Poile’s s junkyard bargain basement junk collector.
One of these is not like the other but for the most part, I'd agree. Tolvanen, looks like he has some skill. We just need to put him in the right spots to use it, this staff can't.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
One of these is not like the other but for the most part, I'd agree. Tolvanen, looks like he has some skill. We just need to put him in the right spots to use it, this staff can't.

Tolvanen’s had chances he just hasn’t been able to bury them.. I mean something you can blame the coaching staff for but they can’t go out there and bury the chances himself.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Tolvanen’s had chances he just hasn’t been able to bury them.. I mean something you can blame the coaching staff for but they can’t go out there and bury the chances himself.
Just maybe Joey will play like we know he is capable and set up Tolvanen for some clean shots. The centers on the Preds just are failing to be set up men. Tolvanen isn’t a “do it on his on” player; he needs a good set up man to succeed. In fact, Forsberg is the only forward capable of setting up his own goals and because all the opponents know it they’re glued to him. Even he needs a set up man. This lack of is a major component of Preds offensive slump.

Reactions: SouthNash
Jul 12, 2007
Just maybe Joey will play like we know he is capable and set up Tolvanen for some clean shots. The centers on the Preds just are failing to be set up men. Tolvanen isn’t a “do it on his on” player; he needs a good set up man to succeed. In fact, Forsberg is the only forward capable of setting up his own goals and because all the opponents know it they’re glued to him. Even he needs a set up man. This lack of is a major component of Preds offensive slump.
Just read that a Johansen and Richardson (Thank God!) may be back this week. If Joey only needed to get rid of a nagging injury that he had from day one .... could be nice !

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Just read that a Johansen and Richardson (Thank God!) may be back this week. If Joey only needed to get rid of a nagging injury that he had from day one .... could be nice !

I just rewatched all of Arvy's goals from the 2018-2019 season and Joey factored in on so many of them

Seriously, what happened to that guy?

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
I just rewatched all of Arvy's goals from the 2018-2019 season and Joey factored in on so many of them

Seriously, what happened to that guy?

He has never been the same since the “big injury” in the playoffs. Ardvisson has not been the same since the “big injury”. And Vezina notwithstanding , Pekka lost something with his “big injury”.
Well enough to play well up here but those 3 guys were special and on they were on their way.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
He has never been the same since the “big injury” in the playoffs. Ardvisson has not been the same since the “big injury”. And Vezina notwithstanding , Pekka lost something with his “big injury”.
Well enough to play well up here but those 3 guys were special and on they were on their way.

The video which is from his best season as a Pred is after Johansen's "big injury" in the playoffs though. I don't know what happened to him but it doesn't seem to be injury related. Rinne was every bit as good if not better after his hip problems too. Age just eventually caught up with him.

Jul 12, 2007
This is why you have somebody, anybody, who can stop or pay back these things.
We don’t, and we don’t.
We choose, very deliberately, to let our guys, our success, and our future go down the drain.
Because, um, we’re nice guys and good sports and all that. And losers, as a result.
We’d be winners if not so weak.

Jul 12, 2007
The video which is from his best season as a Pred is after Johansen's "big injury" in the playoffs though. I don't know what happened to him but it doesn't seem to be injury related. Rinne was every bit as good if not better after his hip problems too. Age just eventually caught up with him.
We’ve seen our guys get pummeled and cheapshotted again and again. No need to make excuses for those who do it.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I really hope Tolvanen starts to gain some confidence and keeps improving. That shot on the opposite side from Forsberg on the power play could be exactly what the PP needs. I've been surprised by how noticeable he's been in the defensive zone, in a good way - he seems to be really putting in a lot of effort back-checking. I'm cautiously optimistic that he might stick in the lineup. He still seems a little tentative in the offensive zone, like he's still feeling his way out and not always quite sure where to be going, but he looked more willing to shoot in this game and that's a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad