Observations XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i hate to beat up on the bottom line type guys but i think it's useful to point out these 2 as they are essentially a waste of a roster spot. im not even going to talk about a rinaldo, mcleod. different role.

gaudreau and salomaki bring absolutely nothing to this team. i am kind of surprised how "useless" gaudreau has been to be honest. i thought he could be a guy on a 4th line that could pot 10~ goals a year and 10 assists or so.

gaudreau 50 games played 3 goals 1 assists. if he were to play 82 games at the same pace, he would attain 6.5 points but we will do him a favor and round it up to 7 points (wow that's putrid)

salomaki 37 games played 3 goals 4 assists. if he played 82 games at same pace, it would be 15 points. it's also worth noting 2 of his goals were empty nets and im not talking EN goals where he "earned" it. a teammate basically gave him a tap in twice on an empty net. salomaki had one of the worst games i can remember in regards to ice time and amount of screw ups one guy can manage in that spanking we received at STL the day after Thanksgiving.

i think both these guys are out of the league in the next year or 2. it's interesting cause we could actually be in the UFA market for some 3rd-4th line guys this summer with these 2 being pretty much abysmal and the unfortunate situation with watson. i still think depth scoring and solid play is something we need to improve.

and also while i know johansen leads the team in points and +/- is far from everything, it's pretty alarming to see him at a minus 1 as our 8 million #1 line center. i think it shows our top line has went full on "offense" mode and really short changed the team on defense and smart plays w/ the puck.

for reference, bonino is a +28, sissons +23, jarnkrok +15. i know not all 3 are always lining up at C but it's just for comparisons sake.

no surprise turris is a -5 . i don't think i can put into words how disgusted i am with his play. dating all the way back to last year after his first 20 games or so. turris is going to have to be a guy night in night out that contributes if we want a cup. i feel bad if granlund continues to see majority of his ice time with turris.

and again, that's why i mentioned granlund moving to center even though it's not optimal and was scolded for it. i don't really see turris getting much better especially if the injury excuse is going to get thrown around for him and by his wife on her podcast. i don't give a shit if he has to have surgery tomorrow and is out for the year, he is a bigger help on IR than on the ice right now. he is that freaking bad.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I too had high hopes for Gaudreau, and I'm actually caught off guard by how many points Salo has racked up...he's been terrible in the limited action he's seen. But I still like Salo for the edge he brings, for whatever it's worth. Gaudreau may be playing too tense. The guy has fought for a chair in the locker room since day 1 (literally, remember when the team had to make him a makeshift locker?) so i wonder if that takes a toll on a guys psyche after a while. Anyway, I'm inclined to agree that these two will not be in the league after......oh who am I kidding....they'll both be claimed by the Wild off waivers because that org is a f***ing gong show.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I too had high hopes for Gaudreau, and I'm actually caught off guard by how many points Salo has racked up...he's been terrible in the limited action he's seen. But I still like Salo for the edge he brings, for whatever it's worth. Gaudreau may be playing too tense. The guy has fought for a chair in the locker room since day 1 (literally, remember when the team had to make him a makeshift locker?) so i wonder if that takes a toll on a guys psyche after a while. Anyway, I'm inclined to agree that these two will not be in the league after......oh who am I kidding....they'll both be claimed by the Wild off waivers because that org is a ****ing gong show.
Or Colorado

Reactions: bdub24

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Going back to complaints about scheduling, I noticed at the end of the month that we have another back to back. I'm asking myself why we play on Monday the 25th and then play a back to back that following Friday and Saturday? Why not just have the Friday game on Wednesday or even Thursday? Pittsburgh has the same schedule except they dont play that Saturday. Its baffling to me.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
i think it shows our top line has went full on "offense" mode and really short changed the team on defense and smart plays w/ the puck.

To expand on this the JOFA line's goals against per 60 has gone up to 3.31 this season versus 1.73 last season. Part of what made them such a dominant line last year was that in addition to scoring goals they were also a shutdown defensive line.

Reactions: Pred303

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
well. another game we need if we want any hope of winning the division. and if that fails, at least keeping home ice against STL. for some reason I expect us to play well tonight.

To expand on this the JOFA line's goals against per 60 has gone up to 3.31 this season versus 1.73 last season. Part of what made them such a dominant line last year was that in addition to scoring goals they were also a shutdown defensive line.

and this has been one of the main reasons we have struggled to be the team we were last year. our top line has been shredded all year defensively.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012

I think a lot of it has to do with the feeling that they have to score since we aren't getting much secondary scoring. Last year the 2nd line did do quite a bit of scoring before the playoffs. JOFA is in full offensive mode all the time so they trying to do too much and are committing turnovers.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
well. another game we need if we want any hope of winning the division. and if that fails, at least keeping home ice against STL. for some reason I expect us to play well tonight.

and this has been one of the main reasons we have struggled to be the team we were last year. our top line has been shredded all year defensively.

Yeah its interesting that our 5 v 5 offensive production is almost exactly the same as it was last season. The biggest change is the worse powerplay and worse defense/goaltending.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'd be interested to see what their usage is like compared to last year. Felt like last year they weren't always going against the top line as Lavi was using more of a shut down line against teams. With the injuries it's just been play what you got at times.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
20 years of closely following this team. I have been to, watched every single game we have ever played that were at home or televised, and listened to the 25 odd games that weren't televised and streamed in our early years. So I have seen or heard every single goal the preds have ever scored or given up.

in 20 years, to me this is the most disappointing team I have ever watched. We have had many worse teams, teams that played above their talent level. We have had awful teams that gave us everything they had even though that wasn't much. We have had really good teams that performed up to their capabilities. But this is the most underperforming team based on their talent level we have ever had. Ever. .

Something is wrong. It's not the new guys. Boyle might well have been the best player we have had this last month. Thank goodness there are only 5 more home games and 12 overall. It will take a miracle for us to hold off STL and at least have home ice for our first round defeat.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
i was going to say the same.. most disappointing and least enjoyable team/season of preds hockey i have ever endured.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
love our crack announcers. every goal allowed "he had no chance on that one". "preds having some really bad puck luck". when we play too much "we're tired". when we have 2 days off to rest "we're rusty". every high shot is "a riser". "we lost tonight because we took 3 penalties in the first 4 minutes". never mind we killed those 3 off. we measure every game by "how many shots we get". the PP is "almost there", every game. shots "ski ramp" anytime a guy get s stick in there. no criticism pf a PK that is playing terribly. No criticism of our goalies crashing save percentage and rising gaa. No criticism of our "best in the NHL defense corps" giving up more and more goals. No criticism of our top line bleeding goals defensively. Subban and Turris "still trying to get back into game shape" after being back for 15 games.

Hard to listen to when we are playing like crap and we all know we are playing like crap. Crisp being the only one that will admit it. Or maybe he's the only one that can see it.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Truth. After the hot start the team had, it has been a season of mediocre hockey.

Ever since the hot start to the season going 13-3-0 we've been 26-23-5. Over a full season that pace would put us at 88 points, which is not good enough to get a playoff spot. The silver lining is that these players absolutely have it in them to be a cup contender, but they've got to sort whatever is going on with them out or else we will end up having a first round exit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad