Observations XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
If you look at Forsberg's instagram they seem to be friends

definitely buddies

i don't like people just throwing fiala being locker room cancer around when we have nothing to prove that.

fialas biggest problem was he had turris as his center. think about that.

turris could be the reason we lose this trade if he "magically" breaks out

*just to continue the conversation*

Reactions: sparkle twin

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
Looking at the careers of Turris and Fiala so far, I'm not about to blame Fiala's frustrating play here on Turris. One of those players has a much more proven track record than the other.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Looking at the careers of Turris and Fiala so far, I'm not about to blame Fiala's frustrating play here on Turris. One of those players has a much more proven track record than the other.
yes absolutely. but not in Nashville.

it's time we turn the conversation from using injury as an excuse. it seems this season when guys stink, we say they must be hurt or not 100%

turris had 17 points in his first 17 games here. its actually damn ugly to see his production since. 3 points in the playoffs.

he wouldn't be the first guy to care more about money than winning.

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
I guess it's not "proven", but I remember someone on these boards reported some time ago about Fiala's nickname in the locker room being "little b**ch" and being really unpopular amongst the other players. I personally connected the dots between that and his crosscheck on Arvidsson in practice about a month or so ago. Of course, a story involving a nickname like that would never be officially confirmed, but if there's truth to it, Fiala obviously needed a new start.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
I guess it's not "proven", but I remember someone on these boards reported some time ago about Fiala's nickname in the locker room being "little b**ch" and being really unpopular amongst the other players. I personally connected the dots between that and his crosscheck on Arvidsson in practice about a month or so ago. Of course, a story involving a nickname like that would never be officially confirmed, but if there's truth to it, Fiala obviously needed a new start.
fiala is still a kid. i remember the kind of person i was at 22 or even younger...

the only thing he did or that i heard he has done that bothered me was him going hard at arvy at practice right after he got back from his hand injury. but i think again it's a huge leap to attribute that to fiala wanting to hurt or harm arvy.

fiala being locker room cancer is the equivalent of subban being bad for the locker room. it's a reach at best.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

And while those rumors may be true, the nickname was from what 4 or so years ago? Go back and look at instagram from a lot of the players, you happen to see Fiala in a lot of them. If there was that big of an issue, he would've been gone a long time ago.

Anyone can take anything and put a spin on it. Having a large gap in time like that I won't read too much in to it. I read more in to what Poile said when we moved Wilson for peanuts to the Avs for.

Also, didn't Neal and Subban get into it in practice their only year together?

On a different note, Fiala had a lot to prove to Poile and the gang last night. Does he continue to play like that only against us or does he put it together. While we got the better player in Granlund, I haven't seen much to suggest that as of this moment. Small sample size I know but a guy who is supposedly on par with everyone on the JOFA line has not shown me he's on that level. I hope I'm wrong in a big way.

Reactions: OriginalName

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Also keep in mind with Fiala, he may have been friends with these guys off the ice, doesn't mean they liked playing with him on it. I have lots of friends, but most of them I would want to kill if I had to work with them.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
fiala is still a kid. i remember the kind of person i was at 22 or even younger...

the only thing he did or that i heard he has done that bothered me was him going hard at arvy at practice right after he got back from his hand injury. but i think again it's a huge leap to attribute that to fiala wanting to hurt or harm arvy.

fiala being locker room cancer is the equivalent of subban being bad for the locker room. it's a reach at best.
You had me for a little bit...but you can't defend a former player against rumors and speculation and then turn around and cast speculation on a present player (Fiala may not be a locker room cancer, but maybe Turris problem is he values money more than effort). Come on...apply the same standards to both here. And at a minimum, the player that's on the team deserves the benefit of the doubt versus the player that was farmed out.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I wouldn't be surprised if Fiala is productive in Minnesota because he reeks of a player who was constantly upset with his role here and waiting for a new opportunity. In other words, I doubt he was upset to learn he was traded.

Reactions: bdub24

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
You had me for a little bit...but you can't defend a former player against rumors and speculation and then turn around and cast speculation on a present player (Fiala may not be a locker room cancer, but maybe Turris problem is he values money more than effort). Come on...apply the same standards to both here. And at a minimum, the player that's on the team deserves the benefit of the doubt versus the player that was farmed out.
checks and balances.

*tips his hat*

Reactions: bdub24

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
Although not a fan of Fiala, he does have a point about Laviolette’s system. His system is not working right now and it’s stale on the players.

That being said, Fiala is totally the type that would overperform in the wake of a trade. But it’s just a matter of time before before ho hum Fiala gets complacent again.

Reactions: predfan98

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
It's funny being on this side of the fence after getting RyJo and PK.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and mine is that there's too much reading of the tea leaves and assumptions being made.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's funny being on this side of the fence after getting RyJo and PK.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and mine is that there's too much reading of the tea leaves and assumptions being made.
Way I see it most people are not really that entrenched in their opinions about it or anything... folks are generally saying stuff like "I'm just reading the tea leaves and making a big ol assumption here, but..." and then go ahead and lay out their circumstantial musings all the same. Or at least I take it as implied. I think most of us are actually putting those things out there and reading them in with all appropriate grains of salt applied at both ends. That's just what we do. Because it's all we ever can do.

Reactions: LCPreds

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Although not a fan of Fiala, he does have a point about Laviolette’s system. His system is not working right now and it’s stale on the players.

That being said, Fiala is totally the type that would overperform in the wake of a trade. But it’s just a matter of time before before ho hum Fiala gets complacent again.
Tell me more about Lavy's system. I'd like to know what it is.

As far as I can tell, he's not a real "systems" guy. He wants them to play aggressive, and be responsible defensively but I don't see it as an actual system.

Minnesota, St. Louis, Carolina, Detroit, Vegas, LA, I can see the system. Barry Trotz is a system guy. Nashville? Not so much.

We do have a bit of a organizational philosphy with defensemen heavily relient in the offensive end, but that's not a system. If you want to blame that on someone, blame Poile not Lavy.

Now tell me why you think this system is growing stale?

Reactions: nine_inch_fang

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
This team doesn't even play the same system line-to-line during a game. They certainly don't have an overarching system they stick to game after game. One shift they have two guys in deep forechecking. The next shift it's a passive neutral zone trap with all five guys between the blue lines. The shift after that it's a 1-3-1.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Way I see it most people are not really that entrenched in their opinions about it or anything... folks are generally saying stuff like "I'm just reading the tea leaves and making a big ol assumption here, but..." and then go ahead and lay out their circumstantial musings all the same. Or at least I take it as implied. I think most of us are actually putting those things out there and reading them in with all appropriate grains of salt applied at both ends. That's just what we do. Because it's all we ever can do.
lol these days that applies to all topics in the world

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Tell me more about Lavy's system. I'd like to know what it is.

As far as I can tell, he's not a real "systems" guy. He wants them to play aggressive, and be responsible defensively but I don't see it as an actual system.

Minnesota, St. Louis, Carolina, Detroit, Vegas, LA, I can see the system. Barry Trotz is a system guy. Nashville? Not so much.

We do have a bit of a organizational philosphy with defensemen heavily relient in the offensive end, but that's not a system. If you want to blame that on someone, blame Poile not Lavy.

Now tell me why you think this system is growing stale?
I don't think system was really the right word to use. From what I remember about Fiala's quote he was basically saying in Nashville they stifle some of the forwards creativity because the D is so heavily involved in the offense. I'm not saying he's in the right or wrong by saying it, but his track record would indicate that it did in fact frustrate him. We always talked about him "trying to do too much" and now it makes sense why. He was trying to prove he had skills we weren't taking advantage of when he had the chances.

He'll probably be pretty good in Minnesota for a little bit then the chip on his shoulder will start to go away and it'll all look familiar again. (I hope this post doesn't age poorly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad