Observations, Part X

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Just for me, I only protect Weber if the recapture would still be there, otherwise I'm not sure I don't let another team eat the contract, same with Rinne.

However my opinion on all of that is based on what the rules would be, how we and individual players look at the time, etc.

are you kidding me? Webers contract is now gold, and two years from now will be even better, we paid all the big money already.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
....... and now, back to this season and our playoff race.

We go into tonight with a Magic Number of 16.

Tonight's Rooting Card looks like this:
- Flyers over Hawks
- Oilers over Blues
- Nucks over Avs

If it goes as desired:
- Remain 5 points behind Hawks with 1 game in hand
- Remain 8 points behind Blues with 2 games in hand
- Remain 9 points ahead of Avs with 1 game in hand
- Magic Number drops to 14

Sure would be nice to catch the Hawks and send them into the Pacific as the #1 Wild Card. Then we beat the Blues and Stars leading into the Conference Finals.

You need to look at the pacific because LA is only 2 pts behind the Blues and Stars. Everybody has been assuming the central winner would be the number 1 seed but the Kings could very well pass them and be the 1 seed meaning that would mean us playing the central winner if we are the number 1 WC.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
are you kidding me? Webers contract is now gold, and two years from now will be even better, we paid all the big money already.

Dollars wise you are right, but cap hit wise in another few years could be a pretty big boat anchor. Remember, we have that cap hit until he is 40.

Predsboro

Feb 29, 2008
Am I the only one a bit peeved that the NHL looks to be setting up future expansion in a way that the new team(s) can be good right off the jump? I know it's been almost 20 years, but I'm not too keen on an expansion franchise not having to deal with some of the difficulties Nashville, Atlanta, Minny, and Lumbus had.

Maybe I'm just bothered that we stand to lose some talented players after all the years of building ... a new franchise won't be:

1. Frederic Chabot (G) Los Angeles Kings
2. Mike Dunham (G) New Jersey Devils
3. Mike Richter (remained with Rangers due to quirk in free agency) (G) New York Rangers
4. Mikhail Shtalenkov (G) Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
5. Tomas Vokoun (G) Montreal Canadiens
6. Joel Bouchard (D) Calgary Flames
7. Bob Boughner (D) Buffalo Sabres
8. J. J. Daigneault (D) New York Islanders
9. Al Iafrate (D) San Jose Sharks
10. Uwe Krupp (D) Colorado Avalanche
11. John Slaney (D) Phoenix Coyotes
12. Rob Zettler (D) Toronto Maple Leafs
13. Chris Armstrong (D) Florida Panthers
14. Blair Atcheynum (RW) St. Louis Blues
15. Paul Brousseau (F) Tampa Bay Lightning
16. Doug Brown (RW) Detroit Red Wings
17. Andrew Brunette (LW) Washington Capitals
18. Patrick Cote (LW) Dallas Stars
19. Jeff Daniels (LW) Carolina Hurricanes
20. Craig Darby (C) Philadelphia Flyers
21. Doug Friedman (LW) Edmonton Oilers
22. Tony Hrkac (C) Pittsburgh Penguins
23. Greg Johnson (C) Chicago Blackhawks
24. Denny Lambert (LW) Ottawa Senators
25. Mike Sullivan (C) Boston Bruins
26. Scott Walker (RW)

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
Now CHI, STL and DAL are just teasing us. CHI now 3-6-1 their last 10, STL 6-4-0, DAL 3-4-3.

I know it's highly unlikely, since 9 of our final 12 games are against teams currently in the playoffs and some of their remaining schedules are much weaker than ours, but just for argument purposes, say we all 4 go exactly as we have in the last ten games for the next 10 games and look at what standings would be;

STL 82 gp 103 points
DAL 81 gp 101 points
NSH 80 gp 99 points
CHI 81 gp 95 points

this is why you never stop playing or hoping.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
What were they saying? Was out tonight.

Doc was remarking how hot the Preds were currently and Pierre called them road warriors for all the wins on the the road during the streak. Was good to hear the recognition especially during a Blackhawks game. I think the ASG has kept the Preds in a lot of people's minds.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Predsboro, I agree with you on the expansion deal but the reason they're changing the way the draft is done is because for the price tag of half a billion dollars, they want these teams to put down roots quickly and have strong fan bases right off the bat. While it sucks we and other expansion franchises had to suffer and build, I actually think it's a smart strategy for the league to get the newer franchise(s) up to speed a little quicker than in years past. There's also a pretty deep talent pool all the way around and while I've seen some suggestions of what new teams will have to choose from, I have a feeling this will be modified because of some GM's concerns.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Everything went our way last night. Now we have to kick em while they are down. Tonight is a big night for us against a team that his historically good against us.

Around the league we have a few games to watch for. This game couldn't be bigger for us. I hope they boys are up for it.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Am I the only one a bit peeved that the NHL looks to be setting up future expansion in a way that the new team(s) can be good right off the jump? I know it's been almost 20 years, but I'm not too keen on an expansion franchise not having to deal with some of the difficulties Nashville, Atlanta, Minny, and Lumbus had.

Maybe I'm just bothered that we stand to lose some talented players after all the years of building ... a new franchise won't be:

3. Mike Richter (remained with Rangers due to quirk in free agency) (G) New York Rangers
26. Scott Walker (RW)

just FYI Richter was picked because he was a pending UFA that we knew wouldnt sign with us, but we would get a high compensatory draft pick when we "lost" him to free agency a couple of weeks later. Pretty sure Iafrate was the same

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I don't know how, but we really need to get 3 points between tonight and tomorrow to keep pressure on the top 3. A difficult assignment for sure.

I assume we see Rinne tonight and Hutton tomorrow because that has been the pattern. (Rinne always starting game one of back to backs). I guess if we want to run a high risk/reward scenario we could go with Hutton against NYI and save Rinne for WSH.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
26. Scott Walker (RW)

That list brings back some good memories. Bobby Boughner was my favorite. I knew nothing about hockey, but loved his style of play. Just watching a live professional sport on a regular basis was great. Winning was a bonus.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

That's precisely why they're not doing it that way. Look at what happened at least partly in result -- Nashville was a hair away from moving to Hamilton and Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. Columbus never moved but certainly faced some dire financial straits as a result of being a punching bag for so long. They want to give teams the chance to compete, and I get\respect that.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Now CHI, STL and DAL are just teasing us. CHI now 3-6-1 their last 10, STL 6-4-0, DAL 3-4-3.

I know it's highly unlikely, since 9 of our final 12 games are against teams currently in the playoffs and some of their remaining schedules are much weaker than ours, but just for argument purposes, say we all 4 go exactly as we have in the last ten games for the next 10 games and look at what standings would be;

STL 82 gp 103 points
DAL 81 gp 101 points
NSH 80 gp 99 points
CHI 81 gp 95 points

this is why you never stop playing or hoping.

Yep- I am trying not to get my hopes up too much, but at the very least this makes the final couple of weeks very interesting.

If we were to win our games in hand, we would be 3 points behind Chicago and 4 behind St Louis. And those were the teams I originally didn't think we had a shot at catching. We are 8 behind Dallas but I still think they are the most vulnerable team AND they have by far the tougher schedule of the 3 we are trying to catch. Plus we have 2 games left with them (although they are unfortunately both in Dallas). If we were to somehow win both of those games, then it gets VERY interesting.

Again, trying not to get my hopes up too much, because more than likely we will wind up just where we are right now. But how crazy would it be if we won the division after all of the struggles we had in the first half of the season?

Really, my best case scenario (assuming we dont win division):

STL wins division.
Chicago falls to WC and has to face LA or STL in first round.
We wind up in top 3 and face Dallas in first round.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

STL wins division.

Agree with this; just actually posted about the CHI scenario in the around the NHL thread, would be amazing fruit.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

STL wins division.

Actually Best - Best case scenario is top 3 stay the same, but LA catches and passes Dallas and that way we play them and don't have to play LA.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Actually Best - Best case scenario is top 3 stay the same, but LA catches and passes Dallas and that way we play them and don't have to play LA.

That would be fine if it played out that way- but I don't think Dallas is going to win the division, which means we would probably face STL- or maybe Chicago. Would rather face Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad