Observations from Pred Nation since the season ended:

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
Although the season ended on an up note results-wise, there was trouble in Pred Nation. STHers were threatening not to renew, calling for Trotz or Poile or both to be gone. The crushing loss to Phoenix, followed by two years of no playoffs after being spoiled with 7 out of 8 years in The show, confirmed we were on our first downward spiral since the Firesale during the ownership change. With no savior player on the horizon, and more blame being thrown on our “style†and our anemic forward situation, we were pretty low.

Fast forward to today:

We relieve Trotz of his duties, allowing him to go out with grace and let fans mourn his passing, thus giving STHers and Trotz-haters the red meat they desired. CHECK!

Poile admits our lack of offense is a problem, takes blame for some of it, and vows to address it. More red meat to those beating the “boring hockey†drum, thus pleasing many. CHECK!

We hire PL. Affirms Poile’s vow for offense. Gets us a coach who’s kissed the Cup and turned around every team he’s coached, at least short term. The “style†issue is now addressed. These will not be your father’s Preds. Get used to 5-4 thrillers at the Bridge. Hope is renewed. CHECK!

Draft coming up. Near zero chance we will draft a D-Man. We will draft a scoring threat. He will symbolize our new direction. More hope. CHECK!

Fan interest grows. Renewals now appear to be a historical levels instead of a sell-off. Board participation soars. It almost qualifies as a Buzz. Upon further review, we’ve officially created buzz without touching the lineup yet. CHECK!

So, all of a sudden, we can’t wait for the season to start. This is quite a feat by management. PL will give us some “JAM†and create opportunities for the Stalbergs, Wilsons, and others to prove that Trotz was part of their problem. Pred forwards will be unleashed. Pred D-Men will pinch more times than your two-year-old sister. PL will give locker room speeches about tearing hearts out and earning your next shift.

I’m getting excited just thinking about it.

So we gracefully exited Trotz, with tears and love and nostalgia. It made us all proud and even though many wanted him gone, even the most hardcore felt a loss. The innocence of our franchise is-no-more. We’re All-Growed-Up.

Underneath all this change is an overriding theme: Our style, dictated by Trotz, was detrimental to developing scoring forwards, boring, outdated, and a barrier to attracting dynamic scoring FAs. Clearly Poile was frustrated watching the few scoring threats he either traded for, purchased, or called up, playing on the 4th line with Clune or healthy scratched. Trotz sealed his fate when we screwed-the-pouch in the Phoenix desert. The emergence of PL as our new, dynamic, offensive-minded leader is a direct backslap to the Trotz style. Our forwards never developed because of Trotz, and they will develop because of PL. Our games will be more exciting, and we’ll be able to attract offensive-minded FAs once players see the new-look Nashville Predators.

The internal question is: Did Trotz play a conservative game because of the players he was given or did the players offensive flaws force Trotx to play the only style that could possibly win with consistently enough to sniff the playoffs.

We’re going to find out. Pekka and the D-men better practice their 2-on-1 defense because there’s going to be a spit load of odd man breaks coming back our way, especially early in the season.

Will PL change his high-minded O-speak once he witnesses first-hand the lack of O-skill among the forwards? Will it force him to find his inner-Trotz and tighten things up?

Will Pekka survive the style change? He made his $7mm over 7 years by benefiting from Trotz’s everybody’s-a-goalie brand of box forming around our crease. Pekka has underperformed for several years now, even under the Trotzonian structure. Will Pekka get exposed as a less-than-elite goalie when his D-men are pinching more than they’re blocking pucks in his end?

Whenever the Preds broke out in a big scoring game, they usually spit-the-bed in the next game, only to have Trotz scold them for venturing outside the “the system†and getting away from “Predator Hockeyâ€. With the inmates now running the asylum, and the old rules burned along with the Wicked-Witch-of-the Trotz, will we win exciting games, or will we more consistently lose “exciting†games and lose our identity in the process. Trotz always dragged us back to our identity. Play “Predator-Hard†with “Detail†and go to the “Hard Placesâ€, and we grind out wins. Score 3 goals and we win. Boring? Yes. Grounded in success? More times than not.

As Dorothy said, “we’re not in Kansas anymore.†We are driving the Pred Family-Truckster without a GPS. F’n PL has been given free reign to de-trotz the system and redefine “Predator Hardâ€.

I must admit I can’t wait to see what happens.

Nice job, Front Office. You turned what would have been a dreary off-season into something really cool. Draft a scorer and sign a high profile FA and Smashville will come unglued.

Bring on The JAM!!!!

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Good read and love the points you made. The FO really has doon well in creating a buzz this offseason. Lets hope it carries over when it's time to drop the puck!

GeauxPreds

Jul 5, 2013
The exciting thing is that something different next season is bound to happen. The scary part is it could all implode or we could somehow find ourselves deep in the playoffs. Either was as a fan we now have reasons to tune in and see.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm always an optimist when it comes to the Preds. Not because the picture is sunny but because there is always hope an options. I look at the roster and go, Well, the system depth is there but I don't want to fill it up with the crap in this draft. I see a lot of turd polishing. And when I hear it being called 'Worst than so an so bad year.' by people who know a hell of a lot more about scouting than I do, I'm not looking for a short term or long term savior from this draft. the fact I have been hearing that about this class for 3-4 years scares the hell out of me. BUT, when I did the study of Poile's drafting habits I found a maxim. When the draft sucks, David Poile shines.
If I was to do a quick eval of this team:

Front office (Hockey operations & sales)

Talented but growing stagnate. Needs a push. Needs to learn an example from *Gulp* the CBJ staff. Twitter has becomes the dominion of the Blue Jackets and that creates an energy.

Coaching
Perfectly fine with Lavi. I expect 2 yrs of possible cup contention. IF they make a splash with an FA forward.

Players

Goal: Fine, Defense: Fine, Forwards: You have a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line but there needs to be one or two first line forwards. One will lock the Preds in the middle of the playoffs 4-6 range. two, and I would not be shy about saying they are darkhorses.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Your offense statements i think are a little bit of both.. Most of the current group cannot even make a good pass or shoot the puck somewhere other than the goalies sweater crest most of the time.
Moving in the right direction but i hope some changes are made to the forwards. If not i have a feeling a lot of people are going to be disappointed.

flyers.gif

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Rinne is the key and the biggest unknown.

if he craps the bed is it because of permanent limitation of mobility from his infected hip, or is it because he only looked awesome because he was playing in front of a team totally focused on defense, or because no goalie can be very good in Lavis system, and Lavi can only win by scoring a ton?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Rinne is the key and the biggest unknown.

if he craps the bed is it because of permanent limitation of mobility from his infected hip, or is it because he only looked awesome because he was playing in front of a team totally focused on defense, or because no goalie can be very good in Lavis system, and Lavi can only win by scoring a ton?

I think its the only point I disagreed with from the OP, Rinne has not had several bad seasons, he had one ok season in the short one, and one injury filled one, thats not several and he can't do much about this past one.

If Rinne fails it will probably be because of the hip. Lets not act like we didn't leave him out to dry plenty over the years. With that though if I'm Poile I am very uneasy about the goalie situation, and might need to be ready to do something else if it goes poorly with Peks.

RoyalAir

Looks Better In Gold
Jan 12, 2006
SE Tennessee
Let me tell you about this guy named Cam Ward.

This. Nashville's goaltending situation will be fine, so long as Mitch Korn is brought back. He has been instrumental in developing talent. With Trotz leaving, and Korn still undecided about his future, this is an imperative storyline over the offseason. Peks is banged up, and may not regain elite-level form; if that happens, Korn being able to develop Hutton or whomever into a decent NHL goalie is crucial for Lavi's style.

Laviolette overachieved in NYI and CAR, and he squeezed every ounce of talent out of both of those squads. But in Philly, he was hampered by lackluster goaltending (But Bobrovsky!), and his clock hit zeroes before Holmgren could find the right mix of talent.

I very excited about Laviolette as Preds coach. I think he'll do very well here, though certainly not with the shelf life of a Trotz.

RoyalAir

Looks Better In Gold
Jan 12, 2006
SE Tennessee
Royal! Where have you been?

Lurking in the shadows. It's only been about the last year that I've felt comfortable coming back on the boards and reading, and only within the last week or so that I wanted to post. This year's playoffs have reminded me how much I love the damn game.

Though I've followed the Preds since moving to Chattanooga in '11 (and going to about ten games or so), I'm going to try and keep up with them much more intently over the coming season, so I won't be near the stranger anymore. :cheers:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Welcome back! Looking forward to having you back posting again. This time with a much less frustrating team :)

Phototropic

Feb 4, 2012
Chattanooga
I think its the only point I disagreed with from the OP, Rinne has not had several bad seasons, he had one ok season in the short one, and one injury filled one, thats not several and he can't do much about this past one.

If Rinne fails it will probably be because of the hip. Lets not act like we didn't leave him out to dry plenty over the years. With that though if I'm Poile I am very uneasy about the goalie situation, and might need to be ready to do something else if it goes poorly with Peks.
Agreed with that. In the shortened season the big drop off for him was the last third of the year when injuries left the team with an AHL lineup. Tough to play well in that spot. Hopefully the injury is not an issue in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad