Oakland Athletics relocation to Las Vegas thread: Move to Vegas approved by MLB owners - Will play in Sacramento for 3-4 years

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Maybe this is the moment that the Giants swoop in, and give Oakland territorial rights to San Jose, preventing the A's from moving out of the Bay area, and letting them build a stadium down there.

Sure, Oakland still loses a team, but that land has lots of potential value for other things too.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They’re doing their due diligence by putting a bid on land. They are a lot closer to getting it done in Oakland than they were months ago and are progressing in the right direction despite this.

The city of Oakland just got a bunch of funds for Jack London square, are in negotiations to revitalize the coliseum site, and are working out the deets of the deal that has a ton of them. We’ll see how it goes.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
If they do get their new stadium and stay in Oakland, I really hope they loosen the purse strings a bit and give A's fans some sort of hope for once.

If they relocate and THEN start spending, holy hell would that be a kick to the dick.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
If they do get their new stadium and stay in Oakland, I really hope they loosen the purse strings a bit and give A's fans some sort of hope for once.

If they relocate and THEN start spending, holy hell would that be a kick to the dick.
won't happen for as long as that cheap scumbag john fisher owns the team

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Vegas made that rumor up yesterday. They already 4 bids in on other sites. This means nothing.

Don’t fall for their continuous lies.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Man...after this purging, I'm getting Major League vibes from the A's ownership :(
this is par for the course for the A's under beane

make the playoffs a few seasons-->trade away the core for prospects-->basement for a few seasons-->surprise everyone and make the playoffs. rinse and repeat

doesn't have to be that way though. john fisher is worth billions yet refuses to invest a dollar into his own team

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

make the playoffs a few seasons-->trade away the core for prospects-->basement for a few seasons-->surprise everyone and make the playoffs. rinse and repeat

doesn't have to be that way though. john fisher is worth billions yet refuses to invest a dollar into his own team
When you’re born into inheritance and have never earned a thing yourself, that’s how you act.

He got exponentially richer simply by buying an mlb franchise, and instead of making him run the team properly, mlb is promoting him to run it into the ground since he’s getting info for Vegas for the Rays/expansion.

The only losers here are the fans in Oakland who will be stuck with a shitty team for the next 2-3 years, then will be stuck with a ton of public money to pay for a billionaires wet dream. It’s f***ing horseshit that good fans are being put through this yet again.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Blue Jays dealt with much of the same until the last couple years. Owned by a billion dollar media conglomerate who shares the monopoly on Canadian TV/telecommunications but didn't invest squat.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Bob Nutting, while not being THAT rich, is doing the same thing.

Honestly, the league should try to push these owners out. But they won't, because they do not care.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Bob Nutting, while not being THAT rich, is doing the same thing.

Honestly, the league should try to push these owners out. But they won't, because they do not care.
They don't want to push those owners out because those owners are an accurate representation of Manfred himself: noncompetitive, caring nothing for the game's history or emotional connection to its fans, just about minimizing player expenses in any way possible.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
One thing I've been thinking about since the NL adopted the DH this season is the potential of MLB realigning from the AL and NL to East and West conferences with there being no rule distinctions. Unlikely, but not something I'd put past Manfred.

If they do it (with each conference remaining 3 divisions x 5 teams), the A's moving to Vegas would make the realignment that much easier. They are one of 6 teams on the west coast, so them moving would put the number at 5. Plus Vegas could be in the same division as Arizona, Colorado, and both Texas teams.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
One thing I've been thinking about since the NL adopted the DH this season is the potential of MLB realigning from the AL and NL to East and West conferences with there being no rule distinctions. Unlikely, but not something I'd put past Manfred.

If they do it (with each conference remaining 3 divisions x 5 teams), the A's moving to Vegas would make the realignment that much easier. They are one of 6 teams on the west coast, so them moving would put the number at 5. Plus Vegas could be in the same division as Arizona, Colorado, and both Texas teams.

Even the DH distinction wasn't enough to leave the AL and NL sufficiently distinct to matter. I'm not sure when I last heard someone talk about a a league-specific record (the last time I noticed was toward the end of Greg Maddux' career, as he was within striking distance of the NL wins record, finishing 18 behind Pete Alexander and Christy Mathewson - the odds were against him getting there, of course).

Frankly, I'd be perfectly fine with completely realigning the leagues geographically - perhaps you keep the historic names. I don't expect it to happen any time soon, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad