Oakland Athletics relocation to Las Vegas thread: Move to Vegas approved by MLB owners - Will play in Sacramento for 3-4 years

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Last edited:
Reactions: SSF and Terry Yake

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Fisher and mlb wanted out of Oakland and they got their way. They’ll dress it up like they tried but when you’re trying to lay 400 million of your OBLIGATION on tax payers you can go f*** yourself.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Fisher and mlb wanted out of Oakland and they got their way. They’ll dress it up like they tried but when you’re trying to lay 400 million of your OBLIGATION on tax payers you can go f*** yourself.
i've known fisher was a scumbag but kaval has really shown his true colors throughout this whole thing too. so much for "rooted in oakland"

wasn't this result totally expected though? the OCC basically just agreed to their own terms and it's not like the A's were going to be on board with it. from what i'm hearing, OCC kept bringing up the coliseum site as an option despite the A's and MLB clearly wanting nothing to do with it

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
i've known fisher was a scumbag but kaval has really shown his true colors throughout this whole thing too. so much for "rooted in oakland"

wasn't this result totally expected though? the OCC basically just agreed to their own terms and it's not like the A's were going to be on board with it. from what i'm hearing, OCC kept bringing up the coliseum site as an option despite the A's and MLB clearly wanting nothing to do with it
Kaval is like a guy openly dating another woman while telling his wife he still loves her.

This vote by city council proves they’re willing to commit much more than they wanted to make Fisher’s wet dream come true. Not it’s up to John and Manyits to show what they’re real intentions here are. If they up and bail it proves they didn’t deal with the city of Oakland in good faith.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Kaval is like a guy openly dating another woman while telling his wife he still loves her.

This vote by city council proves they’re willing to commit much more than they wanted to make Fisher’s wet dream come true. Not it’s up to John and Manyits to show what they’re real intentions here are. If they up and bail it proves they didn’t deal with the city of Oakland in good faith.
I think we all know what fisher and kaval want...... and it's not rooted in Oakland

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
they are mercenaries, if Portland or Nashville gives them the best deal, they will go there. Vegas isnt a bluff, but it also isnt the only option.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Las Vegas just spent $750 million to lure the Raiders. Can they afford anything close to what Oakland is offering? Can Portland (and more importantly, will they)?

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Las Vegas just spent $750 million to lure the Raiders. Can they afford anything close to what Oakland is offering? Can Portland (and more importantly, will they)?
City council conceded so much more than expected even in their proposal. This is just Fisher wanting literally everything.

That said, I’m not sure Fisher would demand as much out of a place like Vegas.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Charlie Finley famously said after Oakland's second game in 1968 that he made a mistake when only 5304 showed up.

Even with the A's dynasty in the '70s, they were still Oakland to most of the Bay Area.

In those years a big part of the problem was Oakland was not easily accessible from SF by transit as BART only started Transbay service in late 1974. That also doomed the NHL Seals.

The '80s came and Coliseum was actually a far better experience than Candlestick and by the early '90s, the Giants seemed headed for St. Petersburg/Tampa. Local owners were found for the Giants and in 2000 they opened their new park which was baseball perfect - meanwhile, the Coliseum became NFL friendly.

A's owners have to look at several metrics now

Moving to Portland or Vegas means less local TV income - attendance in Portland would be strong, Vegas would need a domed stadium for AC.

Seattle will resist Portland because of TV territory.

Then we have the 2 MLB wildcard cities - Nashville and Montreal.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
At this point I doubt they are in Oakland 10 years from now. Ownership has seen the Raiders leave for greener pastures and once teams have the relocation bug, its hard to get it out of them.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA

I dont think Seattle will resist. Portland is still 175 miles away. For reference, Cleveland is closer to Detroit and Pittsburgh than that. Yes they share the TV region but with essentially 1 team in each of the big 4, it's a shared region but not a shared market. In MLS they split the region and MLB would be similar. I know I would love a Portland MLB team to be NL but in reality it will be AL to reduce travel for all AL teams

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The A’s would be stupid to leave what the city council approved on the table and just negotiate elsewhere.

So that’s totally what I expect to happen.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I dont think Seattle will resist. Portland is still 175 miles away. For reference, Cleveland is closer to Detroit and Pittsburgh than that. Yes they share the TV region but with essentially 1 team in each of the big 4, it's a shared region but not a shared market. In MLS they split the region and MLB would be similar. I know I would love a Portland MLB team to be NL but in reality it will be AL to reduce travel for all AL teams

Forbes writer Maury Brown who is from Portland told me the Mariners would fight it hard unless a Portland team signs with Root Northwest of which they own 60%.

81 openings in Vegas will be tough - compared to the Raiders with only 10 and fans in every NFL market see it as a road trip.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Forbes writer Maury Brown who is from Portland told me the Mariners would fight it hard unless a Portland team signs with Root Northwest of which they own 60%.

81 openings in Vegas will be tough - compared to the Raiders with only 10 and fans in every NFL market see it as a road trip.
So they want the same deal Orioles got for Nationals moving to DC.

Reactions: Fenway

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
they are mercenaries, if Portland or Nashville gives them the best deal, they will go there. Vegas isnt a bluff, but it also isnt the only option.
Charlie Finley famously said after Oakland's second game in 1968 that he made a mistake when only 5304 showed up.

Even with the A's dynasty in the '70s, they were still Oakland to most of the Bay Area.

In those years a big part of the problem was Oakland was not easily accessible from SF by transit as BART only started Transbay service in late 1974. That also doomed the NHL Seals.

The '80s came and Coliseum was actually a far better experience than Candlestick and by the early '90s, the Giants seemed headed for St. Petersburg/Tampa. Local owners were found for the Giants and in 2000 they opened their new park which was baseball perfect - meanwhile, the Coliseum became NFL friendly.

A's owners have to look at several metrics now

Moving to Portland or Vegas means less local TV income - attendance in Portland would be strong, Vegas would need a domed stadium for AC.

Then we have the 2 MLB wildcard cities - Nashville and Montreal.
If the A's move to Nashville, Colorado and Seattle switching leagues makes a lot of sense from a travel perspective.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You’d have to formally eliminate Oakland as a possibility before these other cities even get a sniff.

Oakland and the city have negotiated a long time and are closer than most think. They’d be having to start the entire process all over again. Looking into Vegas at least gives mlb intel because they’re moving there one way or another within the next decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad