Oakland A's to play in Sacramento for a few years while Las Vegas stadium is built

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
An Interim plan was long overdue. 1 lame duck season in Oakland is bad enough. Another 3 would have been worse.

The meeting with the city on their offer wasn't nothing more than political posturing IMO

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
All we need now is to convince Sacramento to keep them even longer.... and then the MLB can expand to Vegas and Vegas can have a team it actually wants.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Sucks for the fans but Oakland is going to complete shit so this was inevitable. At least fans will have the Giants nearby if they still want to attend MLB games, and future generations will have a team in the region to follow. Much prefer having a team in Vegas than Oakland and I can't wait to attend some Angels games on the strip

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sacramento has ambitions to be a permanent MLB market. Wonder if locals will view this as a test run for future expansion/relocation, a la the Oklahoma City Hornets after Katrina, or if they'll view it as an affront to be merely a temporary host for another city's team, a la the Memphis Oilers?

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Sucks for the fans but Oakland is going to complete shit so this was inevitable. At least fans will have the Giants nearby if they still want to attend MLB games, and future generations will have a team in the region to follow. Much prefer having a team in Vegas than Oakland and I can't wait to attend some Angels games on the strip
f*** that noise. I'm not gonna just go and spend money on a franchise that is single handedly responsible for driving them out of the area.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Sacramento has ambitions to be a permanent MLB market. Wonder if locals will view this as a test run for future expansion/relocation, a la the Oklahoma City Hornets after Katrina, or if they'll view it as an affront to be merely a temporary host for another city's team, a la the Memphis Oilers?

I think Ranadive is (somewhat) banking on Las Vegas falling apart and being there to absorb the team on a full time basis.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think Ranadive is (somewhat) banking on Las Vegas falling apart and being there to absorb the team on a full time basis.

California cities don't seem to have an appetite to give over half a billion for a stadium to work and Ranadive is estimated to have a 1.5 billion net worth mostly from the NBA Kings ownership.

I don't see how he could be much help to Fisher for money or how he could afford the price to take it off his hands.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
California cities don't seem to have an appetite to give over half a billion for a stadium to work and Ranadive is estimated to have a 1.5 billion net worth mostly from the NBA Kings ownership.

I don't see how he could be much help to Fisher for money or how he could afford the price to take it off his hands.

Whos to say he'd be the sole owner?

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Going to be funny when it's 2028 and people are going to be taking about this like it's the Coyotes in a college stadium because the Tropicana fell through

I know tourism is something in the equation but on no level does it make sense that the Bay Area with all it's population and money has the same number of teams as Las Vegas.

Reactions: KevFu

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Going to be funny when it's 2028 and people are going to be taking about this like it's the Coyotes in a college stadium because the Tropicana fell through

I know tourism is something in the equation but on no level does it make sense that the Bay Area with all it's population and money has the same number of teams as Las Vegas.
You can blame the bad territorial agreement the A's signed with the Giants, and the Giants refusal to tear it up.

Without that, the A's probably would've built a new park in San Jose years ago.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
You can blame the bad territorial agreement the A's signed with the Giants, and the Giants refusal to tear it up.

Without that, the A's probably would've built a new park in San Jose years ago.

It wasn't even a territorial agreement, it was totally just botched by MLB when they merged the AL & NL constitution and operating agreement into one MLB constitution in 1999.

Because they were two different leagues, what the A's signed was saying that the Giants had the right to operate an NL team in San Jose; but it was never meant to say the A's DIDN'T have the right to operate an AL team there. MLB just screwed it up.

That being said, this whole thing is a travesty/shitshow and it's ridiculous no one with common sense can say "Hey, wait a minute....this is all very stupid and bad for business."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad