Trade: [OAK/CWS] Brett Lawrie to Chicago for 2 Pitching Prospects

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
One bad trade is just that. A bad trade. Not continuous bad trades.

It's not just one trade though.

I don't think hindsight was needed to know that trading Russell and Donaldson would bite them immediately.

I think the Lester trade was great though.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
It's not just one trade though.

I don't think hindsight was needed to know that trading Russell and Donaldson would bite them immediately.

I think the Lester trade was great though.

Can't blame them for going for it.

It's one of those situations where half of the people will blame you if make the trades and the other half will blame you if you do nothing.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I didn't like Russell trade either but I can see why they'd do it. Donaldson trade was bad.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The A's could've had McKinney, Russell, Donaldson and now they have Barreto, Semien, magic beans and an early playoff exit to show for it. That's just straight up terrible asset management.

That's a narrative-based way of looking at it. If they would have beat Kc and got far in the playoffs you wouldn't say the same. Beane made a bunch of good deals last year. Donaldson was bad from the start, but it was very uphill from that point on. Last year's record doesn't change that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Can't blame them for going for it.

It's one of those situations where half of the people will blame you if make the trades and the other half will blame you if you do nothing.

I agree, but Russell is the type of player you just can't trade IMO.

I just don't think moving him for Shark was the right type of move to make - but agree to disagree.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That's a narrative-based way of looking at it. If they would have beat Kc and got far in the playoffs you wouldn't say the same. Beane made a bunch of good deals last year. Donaldson was bad from the start, but it was very uphill from that point on. Last year's record doesn't change that.

Definitely not narrative based. 2014 was Shark's first great season as a starter. Likewise with Hammel. You just don't move top 5 prospects for those types of players.

It's probably akin to the Dodgers trading Seager for Eovaldi and Nova. Even if they're "going for it", it's still a bad trade to make.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Definitely not narrative based. 2014 was Shark's first great season as a starter. Likewise with Hammel. You just don't move top 5 prospects for those types of players.

It's probably akin to the Dodgers trading Seager for Eovaldi and Nova. Even if they're "going for it", it's still a bad trade to make.
The A's were going for it because they had the chance. They still have plenty of prospects and a handful in the top 100. They took two prospects and turned them into Zobrist and Clippard, who they then flipped for two better prospects at the deadline. If you're only looking at this through the results of 2014 then you're missing a lot. They also traded Kazmir for a very good catching prospect and might get him back in fa.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
the original shark trade and donaldson trade were bad trades. giving up russell still stings

but aside from that, there have been some pretty good moves. shark to chicago for semien, bassitt, phegley, and ravelo. norris to SD for hahn, moss to cleveland for wendle. let's not make it sound like every A's trade has been bad. hell, they turned a rental in zobrist into a top prospect in manaea.

and while the lester trade still feels iffy to me, they had to do it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad