Trade: [OAK/CWS] Brett Lawrie to Chicago for 2 Pitching Prospects

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Low risk high reward for White Sox. They could use some .obp abilities but Lawrie brings good glove and solid power.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
So Josh Donaldson was turned into Brett Lawrie who is now turned into a bunch of spare parts, some that have potential but aren't exactly sure things.

Must suck being an A's fan.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
So Josh Donaldson was turned into Brett Lawrie who is now turned into a bunch of spare parts, some that have potential but aren't exactly sure things.

Must suck being an A's fan.

Lets not forget there was also Kendall Graveman, who looks like he could become a decent bottom of the rotation pitcher. Sean Nolin, who well looks like he'll be a fringe #5 at best. As well as Franklin Barreto (arguably the main piece acquired by Beane). Now, I'm not saying it was a good trade for Oakland but it wasn't just Lawrie.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Erwin is no slouch. He was drafted this June and has #3-type upside. Has a knack for inducing grounders.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
A's have made a lot of good trades since the Donaldson move so let's be a little less disingenuous here.

Lawrie didn't produce and his personality apparently didn't fit in well in the clubhouse. Valencia played much better and will take 3b, Lowrie will play second and Erwin looks like a solid prospect. No complaints on my end here, and in general wrt the offseason so far.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Yeah I don't think this is as bad as people make it out to be. Erwin is a guy I can really see succeeding in Oakland. If he reaches his potential (still has ways to go) and White Sox get A's version of Lawrie this would be a winner for Oakland.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
A's have made a lot of good trades since the Donaldson move so let's be a little less disingenuous here.

Lawrie didn't produce and his personality apparently didn't fit in well in the clubhouse. Valencia played much better and will take 3b, Lowrie will play second and Erwin looks like a solid prospect. No complaints on my end here, and in general wrt the offseason so far.

So wait, is Lowrie a new off-season acquisition or did they really have both Lawrie and Lowrie on the A's last year?

Maybe Beane made the trade after a plea from the announcers. :sarcasm::laugh:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
So wait, is Lowrie a new off-season acquisition or did they really have both Lawrie and Lowrie on the A's last year?

Maybe Beane made the trade after a plea from the announcers. :sarcasm::laugh:
Got Lowrie back a few weeks ago.

Beane is team VP now. David Forst is the new gm.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
only reason i'm bummed out is because lowrie-lawrie won't happen

oh well, we barely knew you brett. he was all but gone after they reacquired lowrie, had a feeling they were going to keep valencia over him anyways as he played much better down the stretch. this erwin kid looks to be pretty good.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Valencia was fantastic last year before and after he got to Oakland. Became an everyday player and handled it just fine.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Valencia was fantastic last year before and after he got to Oakland. Became an everyday player and handled it just fine.

He never should have been shipped from Toronto, IMO. He was solid here as well.

Showed them first-hand, upon his return, with a solid game. I think I was at that game, too. :laugh:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah I don't think this is as bad as people make it out to be. Erwin is a guy I can really see succeeding in Oakland. If he reaches his potential (still has ways to go) and White Sox get A's version of Lawrie this would be a winner for Oakland.

A's version of Lawrie would still be major upgrade for White Sox 3B situation

Don't see any reason to be upset about this as Sox fan ,, Could turn out to be a great move for organization going forward

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I like it because they can still go out and get a 3B if they wanted to. So, if they hedge up those talks with the Reds again, or if he heads to CLE and Chisenhall hits the block, it's essentially a 2B upgrade then.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
He never should have been shipped from Toronto, IMO. He was solid here as well.

Showed them first-hand, upon his return, with a solid game. I think I was at that game, too. :laugh:
Not sure why you kept Colabello over him, but I'll take it.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
That's not even true.

The A's could've had McKinney, Russell, Donaldson and now they have Barreto, Semien, magic beans and an early playoff exit to show for it. That's just straight up terrible asset management.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
One bad trade is just that. A bad trade. Not continuous bad trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad