LeBrun: NYR will do everything they can to trade for a Top-4 D

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers started the season with 2 mil in cap space and 24 players (Lindberg started on IR to meet the roster limit). Run the team with 22 players instead and that's roughly another 1.5 mil in cap space.

Zibanejad's current cap hit is 2.625 mil. Let's say he gets 5.625 on his next contract, a 3 mil increase. We can fit that, even if the cap doesn't go up. Pirri will get a raise, but even if he puts up 30 goals, he isn't going to get a huge raise because he doesn't have the track record. Maybe something like 2 years, 2.5 per year. The Rangers will find a way to fit him if it comes to that. Fast and Lindberg will get small raises.

Two years from now is when the Rangers will need cap space, as they'll have to re-sign Hayes, Miller, Vesey and Skjei.

Nash, Zucc, Staal, Girardi, Klein. These are all players who may be moved, one way or another, within the next 2 years. Nash has good value, particularly if we retain money. We don't need all of his cap space until 2018, so it doesn't matter if we retain 50%. Zucc and Klein both have good value.

We could trade Nash @ 50% next summer. That gives us plenty of money for raises next year plus a considerable amount left over, then another 3.9 mil off the books the following year to give raises to the rest.

The Rangers aren't in nearly as bad shape as many people think. Yes, Staal and Girardi will be difficult to deal with, but we don't need to move them both, just 1. And of course, a lot will change between now and next summer with trades and the expansion draft.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Doesn't Trouba seem like the logical fit?

Winnipeg could certainly use a player like J.T. Miller or Kevin Hayes.

Hayes and McIlrath for Trouba? Not enough for the Jets?

Why could Winnipeg use another right winger? That's absolutely not enough.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Well, Murray is a pretty bad GM so he might just go for that!

Yeah he's the biggest concern but we'll see what happens with the cap next season and what the Rangers do to create some space.

Pirri will be a RFA

ive been to multiple sites and Pirri is listed as a UFA.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I don't really think that Jeff Gorton would give Kevin Shattenkirk that much, I don't see him giving him any more then $6 million per long term from the sound of things Sounding like Brooks doesn't believe that Gorton would over pay for Shattenkirk.

I don't think Shattenkirk will get any less than $6.5 million a year. He's still young and I expect the Devils to throw big time money at him. I'd even be willing to offer him $7 million plus a year. We don't have the high end defense prospects and we need to upgrade the defense. We have Savard and a few other players coming off the books and the cap should rise as well. Larsson was a big loss and Greene isn't getting any younger. He supposedly wants to play in the northeast and the Devils owner is willing to pay to the cap ceiling. I guess we'll see though and the better the season the Devils have this year the more appealing of a destination we become. Plus we got a young improving team with one of the best goalies in the world. More than anything he's gonna get massive ice time along with Greene and this will be his defense. I think Shero is all in on Shattenkirk which is why he didn't go after Demers, Russell or any other defenseman that could of improved our defense after the loss of Larsson. He stayed cheap and no long term deals beyond Lovejoy. I feel pretty confident no other team will throw the amount of money we will at him, but not everything is about money so we shall see, but there are other elements at play that could make New Jersey an appealing destination for him beyond the money. Location being the number one attribute.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
IIRC he's a UFA... to remain an RFA he would have had to receive a qualifying offer from the Ducks last year, but did not get one.

See that's what I thought even before I saw all the sights declaring him a UFA. Always thought you're an automatic UFA of you're not qualified after every contact you sign, after not being qualified.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
IIRC he's a UFA... to remain an RFA he would have had to receive a qualifying offer from the Ducks last year, but did not get one.

This is wrong, he was a UFA this summer because Ducks didn't qualify him but he'll be a RFA with arbitration rights the next summer.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
See that's what I thought even before I saw all the sights declaring him a UFA. Always thought you're an automatic UFA of you're not qualified after every contact you sign, after not being qualified.

He was a UFA when the Rangers signed him, but he becomes an RFA when this deal is up because he is still under 27 as of July 1st, 2017, and he doesn't have 7 NHL seasons.

This is actually quite common.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
He was a UFA when the Rangers signed him, but he becomes an RFA when this deal is up because he is still under 27 as of July 1st, 2017, and he doesn't have 7 NHL seasons.

This is actually quite common.

O ok I wasn't positive I thought he was a UFA and there are quite a few sites listing him as one as well. I guess even they're confused about the situation. With all that said Pirri was a fantastic signing by you guys. He keeps it or even scores at 70% the rate he is now he's gonna demand quite a raise. At least 300% raise I would guess. Wish the Devils could have signed him and not traded for Bennett but who knows maybe we did offer him something and he chose the Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad