Proposal: NYR/VAN

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This is a tough one, I'm a big fan of Buch but Virtanen will fill a much needed role for us in the near future and showed signs towards the latter half of last season that he's almost ready to bust out a 40-50 point season.

We can't solely rely on Schallers and Rousells for toughness. Can you imagine having Pettersson and Boeser being run at with Horvat being the toughest player in the top six?

Not to mention Pavel has an injury history... and with Canucks luck that'll only be increasing in frequency...

The time missed during his rookie season was due to being weak in his core area.

He was very thin during his last year in the KHL and was not physically ready for the NHL.

There is no "injury history"

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Not sure why the Rangers do this as Buchnevich appears to be the better player at this point. I love Virtanens speed but he hasn't quite put it together at the NHL level but was showing some flashes of his potential toward the end of the season and could eventually be the better player down the road.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
IMO, Rangers fans overrate Buchnevich a lot. Rangers fans on these boards have been in love with Russian players for a decade. Often, failing miserably in their assessments. Virtanen is a righty shot which the Rangers badly need and is 21. Buchnevich is 23 and at 21, wasn't even in the NHL. So, looking at his season last year at 23 compared to Virtanen's at 21 is beyond stupid. Just think the switch would be nice for both teams. As far as Buchnevich being a 60 point guy. Dream on. His work ethic isn't even close enough for that to happen. At most, he's a 50 point, inconsistent forward. I hope Virtanen can be a 20-20, third line guy with some edge to his game.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I rather do something like Vrtanen,a 3rd and Sutter for Buchnevich and Hayes.

Why would the Rangers do this? And we throw in Hayes, come on.
The Rangers are giving up the two best players in the deal by a large margin, who are both top 6 forwards, one a #2 center.
........................for a guy who hasn't figured it out and projects to be a 3rd liner at this point, a 29 yr old 30 ish point player(useless to NYR during a rebuild) and a 3rd? No thanks.

I would not consider one of Buch or Hayes for that package.

This is a terrible proposal for NY.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
IMO, Rangers fans overrate Buchnevich a lot. Rangers fans on these boards have been in love with Russian players for a decade. Often, failing miserably in their assessments. Virtanen is a righty shot which the Rangers badly need and is 21. Buchnevich is 23 and at 21, wasn't even in the NHL. So, looking at his season last year at 23 compared to Virtanen's at 21 is beyond stupid. Just think the switch would be nice for both teams. As far as Buchnevich being a 60 point guy. Dream on. His work ethic isn't even close enough for that to happen. At most, he's a 50 point, inconsistent forward. I hope Virtanen can be a 20-20, third line guy with some edge to his game.

Virtanen has played 25 more NHL games than Buch but has scored 29 less points.
I understand the age thing(a year and a half) but I don't think he has the skill level that Buch does. I'm not sure Buchnevich is overrated at all, as he seems to be one of the most offensively skilled players that the Rangers have. I think he was held back by AV's horrific deployment the past 2 seasons. To suggest he needs a change of scenery is silly. If he gets a fair shake from Quinn and gets top 6 minutes and doesn't get benched after making a mistake, he should be a 55- 60pt guy.

Last edited:

Algernop Kreider

Ant strength
Mar 9, 2014
New York
The argument that Buch needs to be moved because he needs a change of scenery is silly. He does need one, but he's supposed to be getting it this year.

Reactions: Lays

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Virtanen is on the verge. No way he's moved now.
On the verge of what?
He would clearly be moved if the right deal came along.
Unfortunately for the Nucks, the one proposed would never happen from a Rangers perspective.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Let’s remember that Buchnevich had the 3rd lowest TOI on the team and still put up 43 points in 70 games and when he had consistent time he was near PPG. As I said earlier he says AV messed his confidence up and it was very evident, Buch said he was afraid to make mistakes and played a safe game so he wouldn’t get stapled to the 4th line

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Based on like 15 games of Canucks watching this year:
Virtanen is like the real life of how someone plays a winger in the NHL 2k series. Can have some big hits, can shoot pretty hard, can skate hard... BUT not a lot going on between the ears. Doesn't anticipate at all. Can't see more than the next thing in front of him and a lot of times not even that. Can't pass at all. Doesn't even seem to cycle that well.

You hold on to a Virtanen for the 20% chance he puts it together as a 30 goal power guy. As is, he's a bottom-sixer with tantalizing phyiscal gifts. But in terms of what he's "worth" currently, it's like a 3rd rounder. Dudes bridge deal is 1.25M/yr for a reason.

Buchnevich even with the approximate strength of a toddler is miles and miles ahead.

Thorvat

Jul 8, 2018
Based on like 15 games of Canucks watching this year:
Virtanen is like the real life of how someone plays a winger in the NHL 2k series. Can have some big hits, can shoot pretty hard, can skate hard... BUT not a lot going on between the ears. Doesn't anticipate at all. Can't see more than the next thing in front of him and a lot of times not even that. Can't pass at all. Doesn't even seem to cycle that well.

You hold on to a Virtanen for the 20% chance he puts it together as a 30 goal power guy. As is, he's a bottom-sixer with tantalizing phyiscal gifts. But in terms of what he's "worth" currently, it's like a 3rd rounder. Dudes bridge deal is 1.25M/yr for a reason.

Buchnevich even with the approximate strength of a toddler is miles and miles ahead.

I would agree that his value is low. Although, due to his high draft pedigree he may be worth another prospect who hasn't reached potential (ie Domi for Galchenyuk) as he did show flashes of what he can do toward the end of the season it would be stupid to give up on him now for a 3rd round pick. His speed and ability to blow by defenders and get to the net was promising. I personally was in favor of drafting Nylander over him at the time. However, hopefully Jake matures and can put it together and think the game at a higher level.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Virtanen's year last year for a power forward his age is not uncommon. Often takes power forwards longer to develop. He's 21 and had 20 points. Niederreiter for example became a real good player at 23. At 21 he was a little better than Virtanen but not a whole lot. Kreider didn't put together his first, close to 30 goal season until he was 25.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Thank you.

Virtanen types are harder to find and the fact that’s Buch is not a irreplaceable star makes wanting to keep Virtanen easier,

What makes it easier is that Buch for Virtanen is not remotely a "thing"..........Buchnevich is a more valuable currency than Virtanen hands down. If you are happy with Virtanen, more power to you, but it reeks of homerism, he clearly is not as skilled as Buch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad